Healthy Pub Meal Choices

Hey everyone. I'm going out tonight with my girlfriends parents for their anniversary, Were going to a 2 for 1 pub that doesn't have calorie counts on their menus. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for food to order that is filling but at the same time does not have a high calorie count. I'm not a huge fan of sea food so that is out of the window.

I'm also in the UK so everyone can imagine the sort of options i am going to have.

Please help!

Replies

• FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Nothing fried :) Avoid the chips, maybe they have a salad-y side option, grilled chicken sandwich or a wrap of some kind?
  • teeby21
    teeby21 Posts: 15
    Nothing fried :) Avoid the chips, maybe they have a salad-y side option, grilled chicken sandwich or a wrap of some kind?

Yeah a wrap is a good idea i love them!!!
  • Libby9
    Libby9 Posts: 45
    A roast dinner is quite safe. I had a pub lunch last week and got roast lamb and veggies.
    Just make sure the gravy is on the side so you can control how much you have.
  • SarahBeeMe
    SarahBeeMe Posts: 91 Member
    Ello... Maybe look up the menu online in advance, tot up your cals roughly before you go so that you're not panicking about it. Then when you get back you can tweak the cals to make them more precise according to portion size.
    Anything with grilled chicken or plain tomato sauces are normally a winner.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    I always shoot for a steak, cooked with no butter and oil, side salad, double portion of steamed broccoli or maybe steak tips too, stay away from mashed potatoes. If you go for a carb try a baked potato with no sour cream or butter. That's my go to meal when I go to a restaurant that has no calorie count. Or most pubs or bars will have salads you could do a grilled chicken salad with a light or fat free dressing on the side, with a couple servings of steamed veggies. I hope this helps.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Jacket potato with no butter and baked beans, tomato based pasta, steak and side salad or veggies instead of chips, roast dinner with gravy on the side (as someone else suggested), grilled chicken salad?

jhardenbergh - what are steak tips?
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Jacket potato with no butter and baked beans, tomato based pasta, steak and side salad or veggies instead of chips, roast dinner with gravy on the side (as someone else suggested), grilled chicken salad?

they have them here in the US, they are chunks of steak trimmed to bite sized pieces sometimes they are marinated, but you can usually just get them seasoned. it's easier to tell how lean the meat is since they are smaller than a regular size steak.
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Ah I see - thanks! I like finding out about different foods, if I go to the US next year like I plan to, then i'll know what they are!
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member

they have them here in the US, they are chunks of steak trimmed to bite sized pieces sometimes they are marinated, but you can usually just get them seasoned. it's easier to tell how lean the meat is since they are smaller than a regular size steak.
    they sound good, we gont get them in the uk as far as i know.