Muscle gain but fat loss?

Options
Pleasure to meet you all!

I'm Eve and I've literally just joined here ☺️ My goal is too lose the fat on my stomach and sides but build muscle on my arms and legs as I'm a first team goalkeeper. Any tips on exercises, equipment, food etc?

Thank you.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You can't do both really unless it's recomp. Cutting and the bulking might be the way to go.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    You can train your body (overall) to get stronger and retain what muscle you have, but trying to gain muscle while trying to lose body at the same time isn't likely. If you lose body fat, you may like what you see under it. You CAN increase strength if do a progressive resistance program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Welcome , I'm in that boat . Most important while you're cutting make sure to eat enough protein to try to maintain most the muscle you have ! I'm thinking of starting a slow bulk soon as I'm almost done cutting . Feel free to add :)
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oh and I lift heavy several days a week ! Strength training is so important
  • ericabrizzi3380
    ericabrizzi3380 Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The more lean muscle you have the more calories you use throughout the day. Focus on gaining muscle, toning and eating right and the fat will decrease. Also, focusing on how much you weigh is not the same as losing inches or seeing body changes. Muscle weighs more than fat. When I first started weight training at 140, I only lost 5 pounds but the changes I saw in my body such as more muscle definition and gaining strength was more rewarding than losing 15 pounds.

Tips on Exercises: I use the videos on bodybuilding.com to do exercises that target my problem areas but work my entire body regularly. If you don't have a gym membership, I highly recommend getting one. It's exactly the type of environment that stimulates the desire to meet goals and keep with them.

Tips on diet: Eat high protein, low saturated fat foods like chicken, complex carbs like brown rice and fruits and vegetables. Eating consistently when working out is important. Fuel the body throughout the day to keep your metabolism going. Also, read food labels. Knowing what your food choices are but understanding what exactly is going into your body will increase your awareness and knowledge of what are good food choices vs. the opposite.

The main thing is being dedicated to your goals, taking one day at a time and using each day as an opportunity to do better for yourself!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Focus on gaining muscle, toning and eating right and the fat will decrease

Not the best advice
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    The more lean muscle you have the more calories you use throughout the day. Focus on gaining muscle, toning and eating right and the fat will decrease. Also, focusing on how much you weigh is not the same as losing inches or seeing body changes. Muscle weighs more than fat. When I first started weight training at 140, I only lost 5 pounds but the changes I saw in my body such as more muscle definition and gaining strength was more rewarding than losing 15 pounds.

"toning" is what you get when losing the fat over the muscle to get that"toned" look.gaining muscle while trying to lose fat is hard,unless you do a recomp which can be very very slow.pound for pound muscle and fat weigh the same.also gaining strength does not guarantee its muscle gain. if you saw more definition it could have been just losing the fat over the muscles,eating right has nothing to do with fat loss,that comes in a deficit.
  • chris_james17
    chris_james17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns fat. Weightless Squats and toe raises for your legs arms try planking pushups pull ups if you can't do pull ups a flex arm hang and dips . Stomach area flutter kicks and leg raise get you lower cruchs upper if you throw in what they call rocky sit ups will get the side. All of these can be done at home no need for a gym. These of course are banning steps
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Muscle burns fat.

What exactly do you mean by this?
  • ericabrizzi3380
    Options
    I am only here to provide a positive environment and not here to dispute what others say. I only wrote my advice based off my own experiences.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    I am only here to provide a positive environment and not here to dispute what others say. I only wrote my advice based off my own experiences.

A positive environment is fantastic, but anecdotal evidence is not very reliable.
  • chris_james17
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Muscle burns fat.

The more muscle you have the more calories you burn. According to just about every study done. Say you have 10 pounds of muscle even if they are not working they will burn 40-50 calories. At the same time same about of fat only burns half as much.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Muscle burns fat.

The more muscle you have the more calories you burn. According to just about every study done. Say you have 10 pounds of muscle even if they are not working they will burn 40-50 calories. At the same time same about of fat only burns half as much.

Ok cool. I have heard people say that muscle actually burns fat in it's vicinity, which is untrue, so I wanted to clarify, thanks!
  • chris_james17
    Options
    Muscle burns fat.

Ok cool. I have heard people say that muscle actually burns fat in it's vicinity, which is untrue, so I wanted to clarify, thanks!

Np yeah a lot of misinformation in the fitness world. It's always good to fact check tips. So no one is misleading people and hurting there Journey
  • ericabrizzi3380
    Options

A positive environment is fantastic, but anecdotal evidence is not very reliable.

Where is your advice generated from if it's not through anecdotal evidence?
  • AJ_G
    Options

Where is your advice generated from if it's not through anecdotal evidence?

Scientific evidence
  • chris_james17
    Options
    A good amount of my advise is from personal experience. Or others I know that have gave me advise. Like my uncle who was a body builder/ pro wrestler. Guy was in great shape so I took the knowledge he passed on to me
  • AJ_G
    Options
    A good amount of my advise is from personal experience. Or others I know that have gave me advise. Like my uncle who was a body builder/ pro wrestler. Guy was in great shape so I took the knowledge he passed on to me

I never said anecdotal evidence is always wrong, I just said it isn't reliable. The scientific method is repeatable, it is peer reviewed, and it is critiqued, that's what makes it reliable. Anecdotal evidence is not, and as such is not reliable. I've seen guys who are hardcore into body building, have large muscles, are strong and are lean, and they eat nothing but a handful of foods (rice, chicken, broccoli, etc.). Through anecdotal evidence you might think that this is the only way to achieve what they have, or the best way to achieve it, but you would be wrong on both counts. That's the difference between anecdotal evidence and scientific evidence.
  • chris_james17
    Options

I never said anecdotal evidence is always wrong, I just said it isn't reliable. The scientific method is repeatable, it is peer reviewed, and it is critiqued, that's what makes it reliable. Anecdotal evidence is not, and as such is not reliable. I've seen guys who are hardcore into body building, have large muscles, are strong and are lean, and they eat nothing but a handful of foods (rice, chicken, broccoli, etc.). Through anecdotal evidence you might think that this is the only way to achieve what they have, or the best way to achieve it, but you would be wrong on both counts. That's the difference between anecdotal evidence and scientific evidence.

I see your point