Prediabetic New Today

Options
cjarmstrong1234a
cjarmstrong1234a Posts: 7 Member
edited April 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hi! I'm Cat and I just joined today. I was diagnosed as prediabetic in 2015 and was in denial since then. I started monitoring my blood sugar over the last while and got the crap scared out of me. So here I am. I need to monitor my diet and get some exercise in there too. I'm hoping to connect with those in the same situation and just lean on this community for a little support and advise along the way.

Replies

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm not diabetic but half my family is, so I've learned a lot of ways to work around it (and prevent it). I would recommend joining one of the diabetic and/or ketogenic groups on the forum; they can help you with things like recipes and support through your diagnosis. Diabetes is tough, but you can turn it around, and eat tasty food while doing it. :)

I mainly use this site for weight loss, which is a different (though possibly related) toolset than reversing diabetes. However, my diary is open and I've been doing this for quite some time, so if you'd like to add me, feel free.
  • cjarmstrong1234a
    cjarmstrong1234a Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    Welcome to MFP! I'm not diabetic but half my family is, so I've learned a lot of ways to work around it (and prevent it). I would recommend joining one of the diabetic and/or ketogenic groups on the forum; they can help you with things like recipes and support through your diagnosis. Diabetes is tough, but you can turn it around, and eat tasty food while doing it. :)

I mainly use this site for weight loss, which is a different (though possibly related) toolset than reversing diabetes. However, my diary is open and I've been doing this for quite some time, so if you'd like to add me, feel free.

Thanks for responding. I'm cruising around getting the feel of the place and trying to learn the lingo. Everyone seems to be pretty open and willing to share. I'll look into those groups you mentioned.
  • nespoIa
    nespoIa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Cat. I'm also prediabetic, and I've been on the Newcastle Diet for 2 weeks (and will do it up to 8-12 weeks) under the supervision of my doctor. I'm doing it less for weight loss and more for diabetes prevention, but I've actually lost quite a bit of weight already! It scared the heck out of me as well when I found out I was prediabetic! Good luck on your journey!
  • JayisWalking4Health57
    Options
    Hi all. Jay here and nice to meet you. Add me if you want. I'll like and comment on your posts. Please return the favor.

I was prediabetic but it turned into Diabetes. I didn't listen to the doctor. I have Neuropathy now in my foot. I've lost the weight and watched my sugar intake. I am now off the meds but it is a daily struggle. The next step is to get off this CPAP machine.

I'm married 58 year old with a 5 year old daughter that I wanna see grow old. I'm sure she will want to see me as she is gets older too.

Take care,
    Jay