need advice just started working out

Options
I have just stared working out !!! i am doing 30 - 45 min on the ellipticals!! at night when i work out i cant sleep because i have developed RLS !! I cant take it !!! i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions because i dont wanna stop but i also dont wanna be sleep deprived !!!

Replies

• SarahBeeMe
    SarahBeeMe Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching well after excercise? Other than that I really don't know!
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You've never had RLS until you started working out?
  • sgtadamswifey
    Options
    yes i am stretching before and after and before bed !!! and i only had issues when i was preganant and no it is not possible i am pregnant LMAO !!!
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend gets RLS but it tends to be when he *hasn't* done any exercise during the day rather than when he has. He normally does a 30 minute jog every day and that keeps it at bay and allows him to sleep. It's unusual how you seem to be the opposite... perhaps it's the impact that helps with him? I'm definitely no expert, just saying what helped in his experience, maybe try jogging or walking on a treadmill rather than an elliptical where there is not really any impact at all?

Other than that... doing leg stretches before and after might help too.
    (Edit - sorry, just noticed you said you already are doing this)
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    why not try and work out earlier in the day????
  • Postlethwaite
    Postlethwaite Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Are you working out for longer than your body is used to? If you just started with the elliptical you may be pushing too hard.

Try working out earlier in the day, since evening work outs are known to disrupt sleep.

If you suspect the culprit may be the elliptical, try less time on the elliptical and spend some time doing a few other activities, gradually shifting the work out to more elliptical and less of the others.

If this continues, or if changes don't make any improvements, it would be a good idea to check with your doctor and see if everything is alright. I have not heard of RLS being caused by starting to work out, but some types of muscle spasms can feel similar.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you might be overdoing it. If you're just starting out, a 45 minute workout can feel like torture. At least, for me, I know it does. I felt like a wet noodle after just 20 minutes on the elliptical.

I find myself doing better if I do shorter workouts, more frequently. For example, I will jump rope in my driveway for 5 or 10 minutes each day, rather than going to the gym and working out really hard for 3 times a week. Not only are the short workouts less painful, but I am actually seeing better results.