Atkins diet.

Options
Doing an essay regarding diets as part of my university course, would love peoples feed back JUST ON the atkins diet. Anyone tried it? Hated it? Liked it? Thought it was a waste of time? Too tough?

Replies

• overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My mother lost 75 lbs on it and kept it off for a year but couldn't sustain it. Blood tests and all during the weight loss with doctor supervision in 1997 and results were good. I have done Atkins in the past a couple of times to get off sweets and was able to quickly lose weight but couldn't keep it off past 3 weeks because I couldn't stay away from breads, pasta, etc. May have been water weight for 1st 10lbs but other was definitely fat loss. All over body changes. But that doesn't say anything about the diet but my own personal challenges. There are no cravings while doing it properly so that was a big bonus but it does get boring. Anything not sustainable for life seems to be a problem because you can't keep the weight off but quite frankly it worked as a way to quickly lose weight. I don't know what I think about the long term factors. It has been modified to fit more foods in now and looks more like Mediterranean I think now which I feel is healthier than the super high fat and massive amounts of protein the original had but again that's just my opinion. It is interesting though that when you are in ketosis for an extended period of time you can eat something off and get right back pretty quickly. I find that very interesting how the body works. Not advocating for or against it. Everyone is different. Hope this helps.