BMI calculations

Options
How much emphasis should I place on a BMI calculator? It's seems preposterous to me what it expects me to achieve!

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yeah there's a huge range between lowest and highest weight. I'm parked kinda in the middle at 23, which I'm fine with me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm at the top end of my range and that's where I'll stay. If it helps you set a target, great, but don't stress over it.
  • tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Bmi isn't always accurate but if you use it with common sense it can be ok
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    For most people, the a healthy weight will land somewhere in the healthy range.

However, where you feel best and a weight you are happy with might not be within that range. You don't have to get to that range if you don't want to.
    When you start off with a lot to lose or you have never been in that range it can be really hard to imagine. There is nothing wrong with setting a goal that is still outside that range and just reevaluating when you get there.

Also, there are a lot of false BMI calculators online. The healthy range on a true BMI chart is like 30 lbs, but there are some pro eating disorder ones where the range is smaller and lower than the real one. I've seen these cause some confusion before.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The range which is considered healthy is quite large and I think it's one important indicator of health.

I am at the top of the range, but I have also been regularly strengh training for a couple decades. If I had less muscle, I would probably better off in the lower end.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's one of the health markers that my Dr. uses and I've found it helpful as a guideline. Also, the further along you get into this whole process, the more your perspective will change on what you can actually do/where you'll be at :)
  • Brutalism
    Brutalism Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Never cared about BMI. According to it, I'm morbidly obese at about 20% body fat (BF%). BMI doesn't take into account that a person is training, nor the amount of muscle he/she has. From my perspective, the BF% is the thing you shoud care about. But mostly, how you feel in your own skin and are you satisfied with what you see in the mirror. :smile:
  • Brutalism
    Brutalism Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Unless you are muscular, bmi is a very good indicator of a "healthy" weight. I'm emphasising healthy because it is not about how you look but about how your body functions the best.

That's why I pointed out the body fat percentage. You could be heavier than what BMI thinks is normal and still being healthy. Of course sometimes the BF% and BMI results overlaps, but not exclusively.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Brutalism wrote: »
    Unless you are muscular, bmi is a very good indicator of a "healthy" weight. I'm emphasising healthy because it is not about how you look but about how your body functions the best.

That's why I pointed out the body fat percentage. You could be heavier than what BMI thinks is normal and still being healthy. Of course sometimes the BF% and BMI results overlaps, but not exclusively.

I was looking at OP's profile pic and I thought bmi is more relevent to her particular case.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    My doctor wants me to aim for maintaining in the overweight BMI range rather than the normal BMI range. It's more obtainable and sustainable for someone who has been quite obese.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, BMI isn't always accurate, especially for athletes, people who are very muscular, but for the average person I think it's a good tool for helping determine a healthy weight range. Like other tools, your scale, taking measurements, etc, it's not the only thing to look at.

Ultimately you need to decide what is best for you. Maybe you are happiest at an overweight. Currently my BMI is in the overweight range. When I reach my goal weight, it will be in the healthy range, but closer to the top.
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If your muscular its way off, for example my bud at work is 190, 5'7, by BMI standards he should be obese, but he has a lot of muscle and is in great shape. Its one measure, not thee measure.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Brutalism wrote: »

I was looking at OP's profile pic and I thought bmi is more relevent to her particular case.

Please explain what you mean...
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Women are extremely unlikely to accidentally have enough muscle mass to skew BMI.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Oh ok, gotcha
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    shans34 wrote: »
    How much emphasis should I place on a BMI calculator? It's seems preposterous to me what it expects me to achieve!

It may feel that way because you are so far from your ideal weight. I wouldn't feel mine was possible unless I remember college, when I was last at that weight. I haven't grown any since that time and I'm far less athletic. Just because I haven't been there in decades doesn't mean it's not still a good weight for me.

You could reference the Smart BMI, which is more lenient of being overweight.
    http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/why-sbmic.html
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you are tall then top if the range is fine. If short then bottom of the range is fine. For most people, somewhere between the two is best.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    There are many measure of healthy and vim is one. Body fat % is one but harder to measure. Weight is one. All sorts.
    Vim is particularly inaccurate for very very short or very very tall. But if you are close to average height and average muscles it is great. However, until you are really close to goal weight relax and don't worry about it.