Anyone else always hungry on days off work ?

Options
When I'm out, busy or working, I'm able to stick to my meal plans with no problems or even the slightest craving. Then as soon as I have " me" time when I have nothing to do, my pre-prepped meals suddenly look gross and I crave every dessert under the sun

Replies

• whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Are we twins separated at birth? Haha,yes,yes! My days off I can.not.get.full,today was awful! Breakfast at IHOP, huge sandwich and chips for lunch,chicken and dumplings+cake for dinner and I still feel like grazing,grrrr
  • emstamand
    emstamand Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly on my days off I'm not that hungry. I tend to go towards temptations more at work (I work in a grocery store) just because it's there, even if I have already planned my breakfast and lunch. I guess I'm the odd man out
  • Lexational
    Lexational Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @whitpauly hahahaha most definitely twins separated at birth! Glad to know I'm not the only one !!
  • Lexational
    Lexational Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @emstamand no it's normal. I used to work in a restaurant and kept snacking on everything ! " just a bit " I would say and next minute the whole bowl's gone !! I also worked at a bar and was almost an alcoholic cos I drank so much. Just because it was " there " haha
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Lexational wrote: »
    When I'm out, busy or working, I'm able to stick to my meal plans with no problems or even the slightest craving. Then as soon as I have " me" time when I have nothing to do, my pre-prepped meals suddenly look gross and I crave every dessert under the sun

When I was losing weight (80 lbs lost in 12 months) and since being in maintenance over 12 months, I ate/eat dessert every day.

If I "craved" anything, I made that the plan for the day, and built my day's food around it.

The "eat what you want within your calorie limit" "diet" works for me, and has done for 2 years and counting.

MFP lets you view your weekly net calories. If you've been under your limit for a few days, it's actually wise to go over your limit to keep your weekly net calories in balance, so you avoid starving yourself if anything.

This means you can bank calories for your days off, if that's when you feel like eating above your limit.

You can view your weekly net calories on the iPhone app by going to Diary > Nutrition > Kilojoules > Week View

Best wishes, and hope this helps.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Days off are the worst for me! Foodwise anyway. I just want to snack snack snack. At work I can structure my day and my meals. When I'm home it's just temptation constantly.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm also hungrier on days when I don't exercise. I'm definitely a boredom eater and staying busy helps me avoid snacking.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Days I don't work out I crave everything and can easily take in 2000+ calories if i don't religiously watch myself. But on heavy weightlifting days I feel like I can barely eat my 100+ grams of protein.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    For me it's mostly about boredom....I eat on a schedule during the day...I'm a teacher so my schedule is tight, but during the summers I don't gain if I keep busy, but if I'm bored during the summer days...ahh I want to eat it all :) Do you keep busy on your days off?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    What works for me is starting off the day with a high protein, low carb breakfast. I feel this sets me up for success no matter what I'm doing during the day. Protein shuts off my appetite and cravings, and carbs wake up the the evil little undisciplined child in me.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Then you know you're just bored and not actually hungry. :) Take up a hobby, get out of the house, etc.!
  • StarBrightStarBright
    StarBrightStarBright Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I work from home so I'm a bit of the opposite - I have to really stop myself from going to the kitchen when I'm stressed. But I'm out and about all weekend and while we tend to eat out on weekends, I'm not really hungry and I don't graze because I'm too busy getting stuff done.

But yes - home = food for me.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not that I'm hungry, but bored. It's something I am really trying to battle.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    being active suppresses my appetite, So yes on my days off im hungrier :p
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    My problem is that we're out doing stuff on days off as a family and it usually has food involved, I agree on the high protein foods keeping me fuller longer though,thats excellent advice
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Find something to do, preferably active on your days off. I often end up busy and realize I haven't eating for 5 or 6 hour on days off.

You're bored and eating to fill time.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Oftentimes, I find that just being at home, alone, with nothing to do, makes me want to eat. It's boredom, pure and simple. Get out of the house, take up a hobby that keeps your hands (and your brain busy) and whatever you do, get out from in front of the TV....because food commercials.
  • Juggernautpint
    Juggernautpint Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    During those times I have a low calorie chocolate mousse to ebb cravings. 100 cals per one cup serving. Seems to take the edge off and doesn't blow my daily calorie allowance out the window.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I eat a TBSP or 2 of peanut butter and a hot tea with half & half and that helps me a lot. Sometimes a piece of dark chocolate with peanut butter and hot tea works.