Under Your Daily Total For Calories?

Options
My daily set intake for mfp is 1200, but even eating full meals and snaking, Ive been coming up 200+ short every day. Im eating balanced meals, not starving myself, and taking all my vitamins and supplements. Is this okay (conducive to healthy weight loss), or should I be trying to find some higher calorie foods when I eat to meet the 1200 goal?

Replies

• LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i would try to not go below 1200 (ish) on a regular basis. 1200 isn't a magic number....just an average amount that we all need to get the minimum amount of nutrients, etc... are you exercising as well? if you are, you need to up the number you are taking in for sure... there is lots of info in the forums about 'eating your exercise calories'. good luck!
  • Libby9
    Libby9 Posts: 45
    Options
    I had a quick look at your diary, and if you are recording everything, then I think you should try eating more salad and fruit with your meals. Have a side salad with lunch and more veggies with your dinner. That might help a bit.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i would try to not go below 1200 (ish) on a regular basis. 1200 isn't a magic number....just an average amount that we all need to get the minimum amount of nutrients, etc... are you exercising as well? if you are, you need to up the number you are taking in for sure... there is lots of info in the forums about 'eating your exercise calories'. good luck!

Ok, amending my answer. Checked out your diary and saw that you are exercising some and you seem to be certainly undereating. 700-800 cals is just not enough to feed your body in a healthy way. you should aim for having a 'net' of 1200 cals each day -- that means eating back as many of the estimated exercise cals as you can stomach!

Good luck!
  • Langstein
    Langstein Posts: 11
    Options
    Eating only 1000 calories a day can be bad long term for your weightloss/maintenance. Try adding 1 oz of full fat cheese or 2 tablespoons of peanut butter or something else that will make you hit the 1200 mark and not make you feel overstuffed. If you are using low fat or non-fat items try full fat or reduced fat if you are using nonfat items. If you are exercising you should at least be hitting the 1200 mark. I'm not expert but those are my two cents. Good luck! :)
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at the last few days of your diary - looks like you tend to skip a meal and only eat two meals, plus snacks. You also are not eating enough fruits and vegetables.

Yes - increase your food intake - more fruits & veggies (including dark leafy greens), whole grains and lean protein. Increase some of your portion sizes. E.g., a hard boiled egg with some yogurt is not a balanced breakfast meal.

good luck!
  • LostGirl24
    Options
    I usually eat breakfast, but because of my work schedule, I usually sleep through breakfast the past few days, snack on whatever I can get while Im working, then try to eat meals and workout. :/