P90 and P90x

Options
So I am wondering if anyone can share a bit of wisdom here regarding the P90 fitness programs. First of all, what is the difference, and is that difference significant enough to effect what I end up choosing. Also, does anyone have any awesome success stories? I am looking to lose about 80 lbs. I've already lost a bit over 20 through measuring food and a bit of cardio like treadmill. I've also recently purchased the Gazelle (as I am in a really small space), and have added strength training recently. Any pearls of wisdom will be appreciated here. Thanks!

Replies

• wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Power 90 was the begining to the series and then they came out with Power90 Extreme (P90X). You will get extreme results when you do P90X, advance moves that you can do at your leisure to gain strength and confidence...when it's all over...start the program all over and see more great results.
  • woofers1803
    Options
    Doing P90 right now, and when I'm done will be doing P90x as well. No matter how much work you do on a treadmill or elliptical or even running, P90 works different muscles. I can do over an hour on moderate intensity on an elliptical machine at the gym and could bench press about 100lbs to begin with, and the first week of P90 kicked my butt! I've lost about 7lbs in 2 weeks doing the workouts, and I've gotten definition in my calves and my biceps are returning to their pre-weight gain state as well. I try pretty hard to not say that any workout is what everyone needs since there's some stuff that some people just can't do, but this one seems to be as close to something universal as you can get. If you can't do something, do as many as you can and keep going. If you need to stop, it even tells you that if you're exhausted to take a break when you're just starting. :) Hope it helps.

FYI P90x is EVIL. One of my friends has been doing it and it's killer, but he's gone from flabby to pretty ripped in 2 months.
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm more interested in which I should do first? I'd like to make a good choice about the money I spend since I am a student
  • woofers1803
    Options
    Honestly, You're the same size I was when I started and Power 90 was a beating. P90x gives you more variety, but there was no way I was going to be able to get thru the workout. If you're looking to get the most longterm bang for your buck and can deal with some pain, get the P90x, but if you want to start off with something that you will be able to do more of and get yourself going, Power 90 is the way to go. I picked Power 90 because there was no way I could do pullups and massive amounts of pushups yet, and those are a big part of the upper body workout on P90x. If you want a play by play review of Power 90, message me and I'll walk you through the basics of the routine and you can see if it's the right place to start.
  • kiminita
    kiminita Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    why thank you! Right now I should be finishing up some papers (2 10 pg and a 20-pg) so when I get that sorted out I will definitely do that.
  • woofers1803
    Options
    No worries. I've got an essay to knock out and a couple homework assignments to clear out by tonight too.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm more interested in which I should do first? I'd like to make a good choice about the money I spend since I am a student

Since you're a student, I would simply buy P90x (check craigslist...seriously)...and not waste the money on P90 at all. Even if you don't 'complete' the workouts, P90x will give you a more effective workout than P90. The workouts really do scale downward well...just don't try to push yourself the way they do.

Buying first P90, then P90x later...just seems like money down the drain to me.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    P90X is a pretty intense program so much so that there's a Fit Test they have available at beachbody.com. I planned to get P90X several months back but did the Fit Test and failed miserably (I actually just read it and said "I can't do that, that or that.") So I got P90 to start with and it's a very difficult program that is a great starting point in my opinion. It's challenging and just when you think you can get through Phase 1 & 2 you jump to Phase 3 & 4 which adds another entire interval to what you were doing in Phase 1 & 2. One word of the advice...follow their nutrition guide as closely as possible as that's more than 1/2 the battle. Same with P90X (and it can be expensive for a student).

All told, I did P90 twice in 6 months and lost 40 lbs. Tried the P90X Fit test for real and passed with flying colors. I'm now into week 5 of P90X and making more progress. One thing to note is that P90X wasn't designed as a weight loss program but that is one of the side effects as you're eating and burning a ton of calories but it can be a bit frustrating at times since most people measure progress with a scale. That fact is you burn a ton of fat but add a ton of lean muscle and they tend to cancel themselves out a bit at the start. Over time the lbs will melt away but if you have clear weigh loss goals and milestones that you'd like to hit P90X can throw a wrench into those plans. Manage your expectations accordingly.

Either way, they're both great programs. P90X has much more variety and is quite a bit more intense but likely provides you a longer run rate as you can repeat the cycle over and over and over (you'd get bored with P90). There's a Lean, Classic and Doubles program of P90X and my plan is to do Lean, then Classic, then Doubles. I know I would've been looking for something else to do after finishing the 2nd round of P90 so P90X will likely have a longer shelf life for most people.

If you go the P90X route I just want you to be prepared as it is very difficult if you don't have a good baseline fitness to build from. That said, just do your best and you will make progress as it's impossible not to.
  • morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    For those of you that do P90X, how do you log the exercise into MFP? I go to beachbody classes twice a week and we did P90X shoulders/arms last night and I wasn't sure how to log it. So I just logged it as weight lifting since that is basically all we did.
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    P90X got me ripped, go for it. I''ve seen all kinds of people (fat - skinny) end up looking like Spartans on that program.
    Try finding a BB coach for a discount (there's probably someone you know....) or hit craigslist.
    It's cheap for the money and gets results all the time.
    If you go to my profile you can see my before after pics. I gained lean muscle on it :)
  • 4KidFather
    4KidFather Posts: 134
    Options
    For those of you that do P90X, how do you log the exercise into MFP? I go to beachbody classes twice a week and we did P90X shoulders/arms last night and I wasn't sure how to log it. So I just logged it as weight lifting since that is basically all we did.
    That's what I'd recommend - that's what it is. 3xlifting and 3x cardio every week usually.