Sandwich struggles!!

Options
I usually always have a sandwich at 3am, and yes my sleep schedule is f***ed obviously; it's sort of become a ritual over the years. And since I have started myfitnesspal I have noticed that it's quite high in calories like 550, it's usually a deli ham chicken and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread and then with the cheese it's. But so the purpose of me posting this is because I am struggling with ways to either cut that ritual out and or go to bed earlier, which am a bit of an insomiac. So i would appreciate anyones advice, suggestions and if anyone else has any similar issues that they struggle with and would want to chat on here, it would be much appreciated!!
P.S. down 9 pounds since the 9th and started t25 last monday!

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Why cut it if you're losing weight? If I know that It's something I shall have I budget calories for it
  • ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would probably make the same usual sandwich but just with 1 piece of bread instead of 2 to start with, and then once that becomes the norm start looking to switch some of the higher cal ingredients with lower.

So do u mean u arent going to bed until after you've had it or that u get up in the night to eat? If the former and u don't work shifts then improving your sleep pattern may well also help with your weight loss; tiredness is a killer! I found the Smiling Mind free app helpful for mindfulness exercising for my insomnia.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe the insomnia is a combination of the habit of eating in the middle of the night and the fact that you haven't eaten enough through the day? If you focus on those two issues simultaniously, maybe you can fix all three at once?
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I really only sleep for about 4 hours at a time. I'll drink a half a cup of milk or something. Dehydration is more likely.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You could make your sandwich lower calorie. Take some cheese off. Or make a half sandwich and eat some vegetables with it.
    Or replace it with drinking a cup of chamomile tea.

Are you hungry or is it just habit? If it is not hunger work on a different ritual. Maybe a 10 minute meditation.
  • rensler123
    rensler123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I so totally appreciate all the advice. And so to clear some things up, I don't wake up and then have the sandwich I'm just up that late. I believe it's a combination of it being hungry and being a habit having done it for so long so yeah. Having read some of the comments, I have realized I do not eat enough through out the day. I'll wake up at 12 eat a bowl of Chex cereal with raisins cup of coffee and coffeemate creamer, and work anywhere from 1130 to 830 (if I work at 1130 I pack a lunch eat at 2, if I work at 330 I just go the whole day not eating anything until). I come home, do Focus T25 by Shaun T. Have a protein shake, body fortress brand whey protein, cup of frozen fruits, almond milk. We eat dinner then I'll wait til 3 and have that dammed sandwich. Just recently I have switched to pita bread instead of the other bread I was using, instead of 220 calories, it's 60 calories with the bread. Sorry for the long winded life story of my daily routine thank you in advance
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have really been into sandwiches lately. If it is fitting your calories, then it might not be a problem at all. But, you might be able to shave some calories off the sandwich with some small tweaks.

I use Dave's killer bread, thin sliced. Sargento ultra thin sliced cheese. Lite mayo, honey mustard, 2oz meat, and veggies to fill it out. Comes in under 400, and I don't feel like I am missing anything. It's super filling, too.
  • Aukeilagirl
    Aukeilagirl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Try warm milk. My mom had bad insomnia so she started drinking a warm glass of milk a night before bed and it helps her sleep.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    rensler123 wrote: »
    I so totally appreciate all the advice. And so to clear some things up, I don't wake up and then have the sandwich I'm just up that late. I believe it's a combination of it being hungry and being a habit having done it for so long so yeah. Having read some of the comments, I have realized I do not eat enough through out the day. I'll wake up at 12 eat a bowl of Chex cereal with raisins cup of coffee and coffeemate creamer, and work anywhere from 1130 to 830 (if I work at 1130 I pack a lunch eat at 2, if I work at 330 I just go the whole day not eating anything until). I come home, do Focus T25 by Shaun T. Have a protein shake, body fortress brand whey protein, cup of frozen fruits, almond milk. We eat dinner then I'll wait til 3 and have that dammed sandwich. Just recently I have switched to pita bread instead of the other bread I was using, instead of 220 calories, it's 60 calories with the bread. Sorry for the long winded life story of my daily routine thank you in advance

I found it interesting to read. And I think it was useful for you to go through your day and see where problems come from. I have a few suggestions.
    Start with a more balanced breakfast. You could have the sandwich then, and milk, or an egg, or an egg sandwich - and some vegetables. Bring lunch, and eat it. You can eat anything, but if you like fruit, make sure you have some, 1 - 3 pieces, every day. Drop the protein shake and put those calories into a good dinner. Then wind down so you get 8-9 hours in bed before you have to get up. Don't focus on sleeping, just resting, for now. Maybe the variable working hours is a root of the problem. Maybe you could make a habit of getting up at the same time regardless of when you're going to work.

You'll have to be committed to break a habit. You have to want to do the things you have to do (get in regular meal and sleep times), not just want to have the things you want to achieve (weight loss and better sleep). You may have to let go of a ritual that you may still feel comforting although it's becoming more and more annoying (eating at night). You may find the change somewhat scary. But it's just unpleasant, not dangerous. And if you perceive the habit as causing you problems, and not continue the habit makes you feel better instantly, you'll want to break it. It's often easier to do something else instead of stopping doing something. So frame this as what you're going to do to replace what you are doing now that isn't working.