Maintain

Hi everyone I've gotten to my target and I'm now in a healthy bmi range. How do I maintain my weight? Will I increase my calorie intake ? Thanks for any insight :)

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    If you were still losing, you would need to slightly increase your calorie intake. depending on how much you were losing per week is where i could calc how many cal's to increase by.

congrats!! boy i wish i could say i got to my target weight!! happy for you!
  • arlzixxx
    arlzixxx Posts: 30 Member
    Thanks very much Tom :) I'm only going up and down by a pound or 2 dont want to lose too much and definitely don't want to gain! :)
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    you're going up and down a pound or two? how long have you been at your current weight? are you still consistently losing?
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    You will go up and down by a pound or two for a month or two as you figure things out (also great things like water and TOM) but you will learn to tighten it up and things will settle down. After a rocky first few months of dialing things in I can now confidently tell you I'll weigh 170-172 pretty much no matter what day of the week I step on the scale.

Look at it like dieting, it took you a bit to figure it out and get it down. Now you get to do the same thing for maintenance, give it time and relax a bit, you'll get there.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Update your MFP profile with current weight and set to maintain. It will give you the new calorie goal.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    I updated my profile with current weight and set to maintain, and I still keep loosing. I should probably up the calories some more? Any help would be appreciated.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Yes, up it by 100 and try that for a couple weeks. It's normal to go up and down by 1-5 lbs, so it can take awhile to learn where is best for you,
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Congratulations on your success. In my opinion maintenance is a trial and error learning process. I decided to go into maintenance at 220 pounds and I totally screwed it up I dropped another 12 pounds and I'm currently maintaining at 208 which is a weight that I like.

If you're working out in a gym lifting or doing cardio you're probably going to burn more calories than you realize. Since last September I've been lifting and going to a gym 4 to 5 times a week on a consistent basis and I've been eating a couple hundred calories a day over my limit and I've been maintaining.
  • jk4526
    jk4526 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm maintaining too and have done for last 2 months after losing 4 stone , I'm
    Eating same but still weighing weekly if I lose one week I have a little treat and it works for me . Point is I'm still eating healthily, well done on your loses keep up the gd work .