Barefooters: Plantar fasciitis?

Options
I've been doing C25K barefoot for two weeks (we skipped week 2 and just finished week 3) and after those I've been jogging an additional 1/4 - 1/2 mile. Since my Thursday jog, I noticed that my heel felt bruised when I walked, and is quite painful when I wake up in the morning (it wasn't immediately connected to my run, and didn't feel like a running related injury to me). After my Saturday run, I felt really great and wanted to see how far I could go. I jogged an additional 1 1/2 miles, and walked another 1/4 mile. I was paying attention to my strikes and how my legs and feet were feeling, since my main concern with going that long is shin splints. I stopped before I felt any twinges of pain, because I didn't want to push it too hard.

My heel has been pretty bad since then, and I decided to look into it. It turns out that I probably have plantar fasciitis from the jogging. I am really irritated. I am almost 100% certain it's because I went too far, too fast and didn't build up to it appropriately. Now I'm concerned that I have to take a break from jogging, and I really don't want to. I also don't want to have to run in shoes.

I looked up some exercises to help strengthen the area - funnily enough, a couple of them are the same for shin splints - and stretching my feet and ankles before I got out of bed this morning seemed to really help a lot. I'm doing periodic icing, and massaging the area at night. Hopefully these things will help the inflammation, the scar tissue, and get the area stronger.

If I have plantar fasciitis, how long do I have to rest from jogging? What about other high-impact cardio? Should I put shoes on until it heals, then work back into the barefoot? (However, I'm pretty sure that as soon as I jog a 1/4 mi in shoes, I'll have shin splints. :frown: ) Should I see a PT or something? My dr is next to useless for this type of thing, unfortunately.

I want to keep running, and I want to do it barefoot. (Not because I think it's inherently superior, but because it feels so much better for me and makes me love something I hated before.) Anything you can share that will help me do that would be great! Thanks!

ETA: I'm doing my jogging on a track, if that matters at all.

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about plantar fasciitis, but if you're feeling pain in your heel, it sounds like your strike isn't in the right spot, especially for barefoot running. When you land, keep your feet positioned under your body mass, with your upper body leaning forward for momentum. Make sure to land on your midfoot rather than your heel. There's a bunch of really good YouTube videos that will help you with your posture to prevent further pain.
  • jesijake
    jesijake Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keep doing the stretches. My doctor said it wouldn't heal, but could get better. I let it stop me for too long, but just stretch it out as much as you can. You may need to see the doc for anti-imflamatory medicine. Wouldn't hurt to get it looked at. Good luck!
  • RainyDayKelli
    RainyDayKelli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have the condition as well and my doctor told me that I should NEVER go barefoot, ever. That you need the support of shoes. Now, since I never wear shoes unless I absolutely have to, I kindly ignored his advice and just do what you're doing. Stretching and icing. I still have very bad days. The more I'm on my feet, the more painful it becomes later in the day (though the early morning pain is slowly disappearing). I've been dealing with this for three years, though. That doesn't mean that you will. Mine is from being overweight, with a fallen arch, with a job that I was practically running for 8 hours a day in improper shoes. If yours is just from a jogging injury, it may clear up quite a bit sooner.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    could have something to do with your stride... could be you aren't used to running barefoot and have just overdone it. Rest and ice are what you need right now followed by some gentle stretching

Baby steps when it comes to barefoot.

That being said have you ever tried Active Release Therapy? I had it for my shin splints but also works wonders on other areas. Typically it is done by a chiropractor but can involve several types of treatments including muscle manipulation and massage, accupuncture, laser, traditional chiropractic. I had 5-6 sessions last year and it really freed up my shins\calves from pain. It reduce about 90% of my pain and if I had continued going, likely more (the Dr went on vacation, then I went on vacation and then Christmas... ended up not going back but felt wonderful anyways)
  • beth_hayden
    beth_hayden Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For PF, going barefoot, period makes it worse. I had it years ago. I went to a D.O & he did a type of unltrasonic therapy on it. It took a couple of months to go away, but it did. I have not had it since. I would not wait to get it treated. It will not go away on it's own...
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis. I like walking and running either barefoot or in Luna Sandals, which are pretty close to barefoot.

I also started walking and running a lot in the same week that I ditched my high heels at work and started wearing flats. It was probably too many changes too soon.

I'm no doctor but this is what I'm doing so far and it seems to be helping:

- Night split - keeps my ankle flexed at 90 degrees all night so my plantar fascia won't contract too much.
    - Regular stretching of the back of my legs - gastroc, soleus, hamstrings, and downward-facing dog (not sure which muscle or tendon that stretches but it's definitely different from the others)
    - No more high heels - and minimal use of low heels, maybe once a week with lots of stretching after and I always wear my night split the night after wearing them. High heels put the plantar fascia in a position where it is shortened and that's more painful later when you're barefoot and you need it to be flexible.
    - Taking a temporary break from walking and running while my feet and legs adapt to wearing flats all the time. Probably a few months.

Feel free to add me, I will probably be working on this problem for a few months and we can give each other tips!
  • Lisatru62
    Lisatru62 Posts: 13
    Options
    I unfortunately have the same thing. The stretching is what helps and keep your ankles flexible. I found that when I worn heels during the day that it was actually better the next day in the morning, weird. I think if you wear good shoes during the day when not running this will help. I would also wear running shoes till it feels better so you do not injure it further with barefoot running.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i had severe fasciitis to the point that i couldn't walk. (steel toed boots were my culprit. they have a steel sole as well) I now wear orthotic inserts. At frist i couldnt walk barefoot,but now i can as long as i just walk. As long as i wear my inserts i am pain free. If the fasciitis is bad enough you may have to wear splints at night. don't mess around with it. it will not go away. see a podiatrist.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    if it gets real bad try a night brace.
    i have real bad plantar fasciitis and i find a night brace , if you can get used to sleeping in it is amazing.
    also inserts in your shoe.
    this is one of the night splits i have http://www.footsmart.com/P-HealWell-Night-Splint-10130.aspx

and yep mine got worse the more running and high impat working out i did. i see no difference myself betwee with or without shoes.

oh i should a i do where an arch support that goes around my foot, even when barefoot
  • danbabcock
    danbabcock Posts: 10
    Options
    I had PF in both feet, one after the other. PF is caused from irritation of the plantar fascia, usually as a result of jumping too fast into some type of training program - for me it was heavy weights on my leg workouts, especially calf extensions. If the pain is only slight, you can have the doc prescribe Naproxin/Naprosin, and that will usually do the trick. If the pain is more, you can go with cortisone shots. PF takes a while to fully heal (mine was pretty bad and took almost a year for full ability). The problem with PF is that it is a more of a tendon/ligament, and not a muscle, so there is no blood flow to it to help it to heal. Keep up with the stretches and they will help you along your way. Additionally, look for a PF type boot or splint which keeps the foot and plantar fascia stretched, and wear it overnight. It can be uncomfortable, but it works. You may need to see a podiatrist if the pain gets too bad, as there may be a tear.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor to get a real diagnosis, and to get some real advice.

Personally, I had some pain in my foot, and I had a bunion. I know it's different than plantar fasciitis, but I ended up requiring surgery, and I have to wear orthotics or some sort of arch support for the rest of my life. That's not something I could have overcome myself or gotten help from internet strangers with.
  • bell33usx2
    bell33usx2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Not to steal the thunder from your topic BUT I'm just starting the c25k routine and finished up my first week. I did not know there was a "landing point" on the foot nor a "stride" technique I should be aware of. Someone, ANYONE please, plesae enlighten me. I thought I was just going to jog! :embarassed:
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have faciitis plantaris and the thing that helps me the most is 1) doing the suggested stretches before and after a run and 2) wearing insert in my shoes during the day when I'm not running. You can probably go to a running or foot store (or find them online) to get these. If you are going barefoot or wearing shoes that don't properly support your foot during the day, particularly if you are on your feet a lot, that can cause the faciitis to flare up. I started having this problem before I really started running. I stay at home with my kids and was barefoot all the time or wearing flip-flops. Once I started wearing the inserts instead, the problem subsided.
  • sbg874
    sbg874 Posts: 1
    Options
    I run "barefoot" with the Vibram five finger shoes and love it (ran a half-marathon in them). The big thing, though, is easing into it. When I was getting into running, I got a DVD on Chi running from the library (like Summertime_girl's suggestion), that really helped me have good running form to minimize injury. I understand wanting to run barefoot, but you may want to consider having a minimal shoe to give your feet a break, about once a week--new balance has the minimus (which I love), Merrell came out with the Glove, Nike has one, etc. I went to a barefoot running seminar and the speaker suggested doing that. One last thing, the toe scrunch exercise is really good to strengthen your arches--it's the third exercise here: http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_exercises.html . Consider taking a couple days off and then doing a really short test run to see how you feel. If that goes well, wait a day or two and then do a slightly longer one before rejoining your program. Good luck!
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I am pretty confident that my foot strike is good. For my stride, I think I'm doing that well - I'm keeping my weight forward, and not stretching my legs out in front of my body. I'll check out some videos to see if there is anything I can improve since I can't be certain I'm doing it correctly.

I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor, and I'm sure she'll have to refer me to someone. I also will talk to my chiropractor about Active Release Therapy!
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    I just remembered three more things that I'm doing for my plantar fasciitis...

1. Keeping my ankle flexed at 90 degrees when I'm seated at my desk at work. Between that and my night splint, I'm stretching my plantar fascia for about 16 hours a day. I really believe that a large amount of gentle stretching is much more effective than 10-15 minutes of intense stretching.

2. Eating enough calcium. Again I'm no doctor, but MFP reports tell me that my diet was consistently low in calcium, and one symptom of calcium deficiency is muscle cramps, and plantar fasciitis definitely feels like a muscle cramp. I also read somewhere that when the body doesn't get enough calcium from food, it makes painful calcium deposits in the joints especially the foot. I am getting most of my calcium from canned sardines and salmon with the bones included, and kale.

3. Massaging the bottom of my feet by rolling my foot on a golf ball, trying to break up the calcium deposits.
  • DakotaCowboyMom
    Options
    I have Plantar fasciitis. It sucks but there are things to help. As others have said I have been told by a doctor and my physical therapist absolutely no bare feet now let me tell you I don't always listen but I can tell when I have gone barefoot. At like Walmart or Target they have a night splint that is like $30 that you wear every nite. Buy it and use it. It helps sooooooo much. Next keep a can of soup or spaghetti sauce and before you even step out of bed roll it back and forth under your foot about 25 times. Amazing how much less that first step of the day will be. In the evening or after your run roll a frozen bottle of water under your foot to help keep the swelling down. It feels amazing anytime it is flaring. I used to sit in my rocker when it was time to rock my son to sleep and just constantly roll it under my foot. Then of course do the stretches that you mentioned. Any questions let me know and I will try to help.
  • SimplySatisfiedSarah
    Options
    im a nurse and for PF barefoot is a no no. like some others have said, stretch your achilles tendon./calf multiple times per day for several minutes. use a tennis ball under your foot to roll and massage. night splinting to keep foot at 90degree angle while sleeping to keep area stretched. and rest. no more barefoot, no flip flops or unsupportive sandals. PF can be VERY painful if not taken care of. unfortunately these are the only things that can be done for it besides going to a podiatrist and getting shots in your heel (very painful) and having surgery (last resort once its very bad.) so, stretch, massage, supportive shoes. even around the house.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I suffered from vicious plantar's fascitis for a few years, and the biggest help for me was keeping my feet flat on the floor whenever I wasn't standing/walking. When I sit, my feet are flat--no arching, no pointing, no letting them relax--always flat. There are boots for sleeping that keep the feet flat/flexed in order to prevent that tightening up. Some folks have surgery, but mine improved markedly once I started paying attention to the position of my feet during the day.

Slow, gentle stretching in the mornings BEFORE my feet hit the floor and hand to support my weight helped, too.

Kris
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    I can't help wondering if supportive shoes treat the symptom but not the cause. I've seen studies comparing populations who wear shoes regularly vs. populations who never wear shoes - the ones who went barefoot all the time since birth never got plantar fasciitis.