Does it matter if I eat to many vitamins?

Options
Is it bad for me if I accidentally took to many vitamins I normally take 1 every day like you are supposed to but today I took to many by accident because I thought they were a different pill and now I am worried it will hurt my body or make me sick will it?

Replies

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Which vitamins did you overtake?
  • LaauraLoses
    LaauraLoses Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just normal ones that have everything in them
  • cejean1
    cejean1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How many did you take? There are vitamins and minerals that can be bad for you at high dosages, but I doubt taking a single extra dose would hurt as long as it didn't become a habit.
  • FindPowerInPositivity
    Options
    If its just a standard type of multivitamin and you don't do it every day you should be okay my friend. :)
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine you will just wee it out at some point
  • LaauraLoses
    Options
    Ok thanks I took 6 instead of 1 because they are the same size as a pill that I just got that I need to take I'll be really careful now I defiantly won't do it again by accident thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks I took 6 instead of 1 because they are the same size as a pill that I just got that I need to take I'll be really careful now I defiantly won't do it again by accident thanks

i'd ring the pharmacy and check, 6 instead of one is a big dose....
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Probably has a ton of vitamin a
  • LaauraLoses
    Options
    Thats why I was worried and wanted to ask because 6 is a lot but its okay thanks
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,866 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You can overdose on some fat-soluble vitamins, minerals and elements. Examples being Vit A, selenium, iodine. If you feel go to the hospital ASAP. From my understanding though, it takes time to accumulate excess fat-soluble vitamins so a one of high dose should be okay, just don't keep doing it and maybe stop taking supplements for a while.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You should get yourself a pill sleeve so that you can separate them out every week. I have one that is a container and it has a sleeve for every day of the week, Morning, Noon, Evening and Bedtime. I refill on Sunday.

That way you never have any confusion as to what you're taking and how many.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The vitamins and minerals that you can easily overdose on are usually in very small amounts to prevent this from happening (like potassium). Vitamin A in pills is usually the beta carotene kind which converts as needed, so you are unlikely to overdose on that.

You'll likely be okay, but call your doctor or pharmacist just to be sure.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    You're good. Might have really yellow urine for a few days from the B vitamins, but I wouldn't worry about it.