Low Sugar

Options
Hello MFPALS!

Hope you are all ok. This is my first post. I've been doing MFP for a few weeks now. Unfortunately I've ganied a bit but I went away for a week with my sister who is one of "those who can eat what she wants!"

Anyway, I need some help and advice. I've been eating really healthily I prepare all my meals from scratch and I am an avid gym bunny. In theory the weight should be dropping off. Alas it is not :-(

I am wondering whether it is due to my sugar intake?! Even though I'm eating well fruit seems to contain a lot of sugar as do other natural foods. I always exceed my sugar intake, has anyone any ideas or advice to keep this in control?

I also would love some advice on whether it's a good idea to eat exercise calories?! I can't seem to survive if I don't.

Thanks for your help MFPals.

Sophie
xxx

Replies

• MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    if you wnat to lose weight, you do have to limit your fruit intake, sugar is sugar is sugar. that said, it would be easier for us to see what's what if you made your diary public so we can see what you're eating. since you are in a healthy BMI you have to be super super strict about your calorie intake. but not take it too low either. never go below 1200.
  • dljmurphy
    dljmurphy Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm not sure about how the sugar affects weigh ins, but I do go over in sugar as well and I don't think it has affected me. As far as eating back the exercise calories, I almost always do eat some of them back now, but for the first week or so I didn't. I just wanted to see how much I would lose without eating them back. You might want to try not eating them back for a few days, or just eating less. Oddly enough I've noticed I have much more energy when I don't eat back all of my exercise calories now. I wouldn't say I feel hungry all the time, but I never really feel full. I'm sure if you just tweak the diet a little each week you'll find what works for your body. Good luck!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Unless you're eating five times the recommended servings on fruit, I wouldn't limit it unless it's got sugar added. I'd look for other sugar in my diet to cut, if I felt sugar was a problem. Fruit is your friend.

I don't eat all my exercise calories back, but I do eat some. Otherwise, I don't seem to lose much.

Kris
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    All sugar whether natural or not has an effect on the glycemic index and therefore effects insulin levels. Treat fruit as a dessert and limit your intake. Replace with veggies.
  • Ncoxxie
    Ncoxxie Posts: 2
    Options
    I was also concerned about this as indeed sugar is sugar. So ice limited the the GI fruits and foods for low. Also you get sugar from veggies and other food groups so I think there's a little leeway to be had. Go over a little no big deal.

I'd take it with a pinch of salt haha! As the saying goes!

If it's sugar in cooking (I know you are a baking mistress!) then switch to Agave Nectar or brown rice syrup - both are low on the GI and have dietary benefits.

:-)
  • sophiep28
    sophiep28 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help an advice. All very helpful. I will try limiting fruit a little and look at the sugar in the rest of my diet. I also think the varying what you do from week to week sounds like a good idea :-) Thank you.

x