Trying to Stay Strong

Options
silkysly
silkysly Posts: 701 Member
I have a family cookout I’m going to today & I’m going try very hard not to over indulge. I am getting a little nervous because I rest on Sundays & don’t exercise, so I don’t have any wiggle room on calories. I’m taking apples & pears as my ‘side dish’ because it is so friggin hot out!

Replies

• descooley
    descooley Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Drink lots of water, if you do have some food make them small portions and know that tomorrow is a new day no matter what happens today! Good luck.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    First- be safe...lots of water and avoid 'creamy' foods....for two reasons (1- creamy= usually fattening, 2- high heat= fast spoilage)
    Second- enjoy yourself!
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and eat off a small plate (that way you are controlling your portions). That's what I do when I go over to my mom's for cookouts!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Don't overdo it is right, listen to your body when it's full, stop eating, even if that chip and dip tastes SO good.

You are doing great, and you deserve a day off, it's ok to go over calories once in a while and not beat yourself up about it. It's life, we can't always be on the straight and narrow, so ENJOY your day, forget about counting calories for this one day and enjoy the time with your family without obsessing. One day over calories isn't going to ruin your whole weight loss strategy...
  • Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I say enjoy the cookout trying to concentrate more on spending time with family than on the food. It will probably be too hot to eat a lot anyway. Drink plenty of water first and that should help too. And if you go over, so be it. It isn't everyday you have these occasions.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions to use a small plate. Another good hint is to sit AWAY from where the food is set out. Sounds silly, but if you help with the table set up, set the healthy stuff close to the front edge and at either end and then take a seat away from the table. If its a sit-down at a picnic table with all the food on the table, just try to arrange so your dish and the healthier ones end up in front of you!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel.... Have to admit it, sometimes I can stay real vigilant at The Event & then get home & eat EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.... :sad: Good Luck!
  • Charlie175
    Charlie175 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Eat something healthy before you go, so you won't be as hungry. Try meat without the bun so reduce some calories. And don't worry too much about going over, enjoy yourself, tomorrow starts fresh
  • BrokenWings
    Options
    Eat off a small plate
    Position yourself away from where the food is set out
    Stick to (not creamy!) salad and lean meat
    Focus more on the people than the food
    Try not to think about the food (harder than it sounds I know!)

Have a good time :) x
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragements & suggestions. I truly appreciate it! I’m trying not to over think this & want to enjoy just myself. If I graze.., I’m going to try to stick with the veggie tray..., gulp!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Bring an activity, if someone isn't already in charge of that. Maybe some squirt guns and water balloons would be fun if it's really hot.

If the heat is bearable, bring a badminton set, or corn hole set, or something.

Even if the activity isn't revolving around exercise, it will still give you something to focus on, rather than food. You can interact with your family without asking for recipes. :)
  • divalovely
    divalovely Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Eat a healthy protein snack 15 minutes before you go(cheese stick, almonds, etc.)....it will help you with cravings:)