Macro/calorie needs Mid 50's

Options
I have always KNOWN how to loose lbs and gain muscle - simple right?? More protein - less carbs - lift heavy (which I love) and sprinkle in cardio and HIT. WELL - Ms. Mother (#$!!) Nature isn't playing nice. As I've gotten older the struggle is real people. Weight loss is SUPER slow - always a struggle to keep energy up and it has manifested a love/hate relationship with food. YES - I've had my hormones checked - no excuse avail there. I take good supp's and iron. I would hope for a magic solution, but I have a stinkin feeling that I am just paying for past food crimes.
Many of the knowledgeable crew here is much younger and use a blanket approach for fixes. ANY with experience on the "aging" (did I just say that?!) Fit group
As you can tell....I'm going kickin and screaming. (doesn't that count as calorie burn?

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    If you scream while you are kicking a heavy bag, it probably counts a lot. B)

I'm a mid-50s male (I'm sure it's different), but calorie deficits have been working fine for me. But, judging by the profile pic, it works for me because I have some fat to lose where you have very little. I think your 12 lbs you mention in in your profile is not likely to go away as quickly just because you are close. That's common no matter what your age.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm 61. Despite what others here say about losing weight as we age, I have not found that to be true. I'm 45 days in and have lost just over 10 lbs. This is despite being unable to exercise beyond walking the last couple of weeks due to a bad flareup from an old shoulder injury.

I do take a multi-vitamin. potassium, D, and am considering a couple of others.
    HTH,
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I turned 51 on New Years Day. It's tough but i am fighting the good fight. I run,lift weights and do yoga daily. I have had to up my activity and give up certain things like alcohol..that wasn't a biggy for me.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    I'm 61. Despite what others here say about losing weight as we age, I have not found that to be true. I'm 45 days in and have lost just over 10 lbs. This is despite being unable to exercise beyond walking the last couple of weeks due to a bad flareup from an old shoulder injury.

HTH,

I haven't found weight loss at my age an issue either. I'm 52 and post menopausal. I plug in my stats, follow the calorie allotment, eat 50% of the exercise calories i've earned for the day and it's working for me. Moderate protein and fat, with lower carb (40/40/20). I weight train 4x/week, cardio 4x/week. I lost 46 lbs. (202 to 156) over a 12 month period.

• susanp57
    Options
    sydnisd183 wrote: »

HTH,

I haven't found weight loss at my age an issue either. I'm 52 and post menopausal. I plug in my stats, follow the calorie allotment, eat 50% of the exercise calories i've earned for the day and it's working for me. Moderate protein and fat, with lower carb (40/40/20). I weight train 4x/week, cardio 4x/week. I lost 46 lbs. (202 to 156) over a 12 month period.

Although I have wondered if being well past menopause (surgically) has been helpful. None of that up & down hormone stuff. Don't miss it at all!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

HTH,

I am also 61, but it took me 10 weeks (70 days) to lose 10 pounds. And I am fairly active, with most days between 10k and 15K steps, plus gym time each week.

So count your lucky stars that you could lose that quickly. We are all individuals, and out bodies do not all work the same. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options

HTH,

I am also 61, but it took me 10 weeks (70 days) to lose 10 pounds. And I am fairly active, with most days between 10k and 15K steps, plus gym time each week.

So count your lucky stars that you could lose that quickly. We are all individuals, and out bodies do not all work the same. ;)

Well, if it's your last 10 pounds and her first 10 pounds, that would explain the difference in difficulty ;)
  • susanp57
    Options
    I only had about 27 pounds to lose. But it was my first 10.

Yes, we are individuals. But I don't think age, by itself, is an issue. I suppose as we age we are more likely to have certain health problems, old injuries, etc.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

HTH,

Well, if it's your last 10 pounds and her first 10 pounds, that would explain the difference in difficulty ;)

It was my first 10. ;)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    I only had about 27 pounds to lose. But it was my first 10.

Yes, we are individuals. But I don't think age, by itself, is an issue. I suppose as we age we are more likely to have certain health problems, old injuries, etc.

It's worth remembering that indeed, metabolism does slow each year, after about age 20.

"Age is one of the most important factor of changes in energy metabolism. The basal metabolic rate decreases almost linearly with age. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8361073