Working out but not losing weight - need advice

Options
I have been sticking to a max of 1200 calories a day since the end of January. I lost 9 pounds but couldn't lose more. I really was not exercising for the first two months. Three weeks ago I joined a small group training program, and I have been working out HARD 3 days a week for three weeks. We do a mix of cardio and strength training, and it is very challenging.

So, here's my issue. I do feel my body has changed, but I have not lost a pound. And I have at least 40 lbs. to lose. I'm eating low carb and tracking every bite.

What am I doing wrong? Should I be more patient? Wondering if I should switch to focus on more cardio.

Replies

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Up the cardio for weight loss. Try HIIT!! Also low fat foods.
  • illbethinoneday
    illbethinoneday Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice. I also was told it might be water retention from the workouts, but thought it would be fine by week 3.

I've been pretty rigorous about my food measurements, but there's always room for improvement. I'm going to track more closely, focus on water, do some more cardio and give it a little more time.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Is it TOM?

• illbethinoneday
    illbethinoneday Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Is it TOM?

Nope. I did try taking some holistic water pills to see if that would help. I feel a bit less bloated, but the scale hasn't really changed.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice. I also was told it might be water retention from the workouts, but thought it would be fine by week 3.

I've been pretty rigorous about my food measurements, but there's always room for improvement. I'm going to track more closely, focus on water, do some more cardio and give it a little more time.

I would recommend focusing on your caloric deficit and not on water. Unless you have a medical condition related to that, the water is just something your body regulates based on what it needs. If it needs water to repair muscle, that's a good thing. If it needs it for your TOM, that's a good thing. If it holds it due to sodium, it will release it. But most of all, it's not really relevant to weight loss because it will fluctuate anyway...even in maintenance, and even when you are trying to gain.

• laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    tjkita wrote: »
    Up the cardio for weight loss. Try HIIT!! Also low fat foods.
    Nope to all of this. Calorie deficit = weight loss. And suggesting low fat to a low carber.... yeah, no.

I'm more inclined to think this:
    Loug1983 wrote: »
    My guess would be water retention from the new exercise routine, it can take a few weeks to settle down and will mask any weight loss.

Assuming you are tracking your calories accurately then you probably just need to be patient, and in the mean time get out the measuring tape, if you're seeing changes in your body but not on the scale then the tape measure might be the best indicator of progress right now!

Water retention from exercise.

OP, do you use a food scale for all solid and semi solid food (even prepackaged)?

This!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see 1200 calories it's a red flag for me.
    did the app recommend this amount or did you have some other method for deciding on 1200?
    Input your vitals into the app/site and follow it's caloric recommendations.
  • skluemper
    skluemper Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would also take a look at your macros and focus a bit more on WHAT calories you are eating and not just trying to get to the lowest amount possible. The lowest recommended for me is also 1200, however, I've tried that before and although I could do it, it was almost impossible to maintain, I didn't lose weight consistently, and I was miserable. I'm now at around 1375 and I focus on macros. I eat 40% lean protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat. Especially if you are doing any strength training, this is important. Also, strength training is proven to burn more fat than cardio. Anytime you lift or do any kind of muscle training, you burn calories AFTER your workout as well, not just during. Hope this helps!
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am at 1,200 calories a day currently because I have a 100% sedentary job, a two-hour a day commute (i.e., lots of sitting every day) and can't exercise strenuously because of a heart condition. I'm averaging a pound a week weight loss without moving much at all and have lost 12 pounds since the beginning of March. If you are doing intense workouts three times a week and are truly only eating 1,200 calories a day, then you should be losing weight. Perhaps you are losing fat and building muscle and that's why the scale is not moving. Try tracking your measurements instead of the pounds and see if that's what is happening.
  • vjd317
    vjd317 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @illbethinoneday

It sounds like you are doing everything right. The exercise takes consistency and time to have an impact and IT WILL have an impact. It's the right thing for your health and the right thing for your mind & body. It will also help you to look great as you lose more weight.

1200 calories a day is the absolute lowest anyone should go. With working out, you really should increase your calories. Diets do not work long term because your body will go into it's NATURAL response to starvation and stop losing weight - preparing for the "famine". You have to feed your body so it knows its ok to lower your weight.

Also if you are exercising, you should incorporate some GOOD for you carbs. Sweet potatoes, quinoa, rice, oats are all ok, just watch the portion sizes. Eat them in the morning with your protein and a small portion after a workout. Aim for equal protein and carbs. You might feel a lot more satiated and not need snacks. If you think you're retaining water, make sure you drink .5 oz for everything 1 lb of body weight per day (150 lbs = 75 oz water).

If you are really serious about dieting, absolutely no sugar or alcohol. If you are willing to let the weight loss be a little slower (and live a little during) just limit sugar and alcohol. :wink:

Last thing, love yourself. Be kind to your body. You are asking it to do a lot right now. It's not used to it. Be patient and consistent and really really appreciate what you have done and be proud of it. Nothing makes you feel more like giving up than feeling like you are already failing . Keep up the hard work. You WILL get there. I promise. :smiley:

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    1200 calories usually is a good baseline for *most* people. It's an often quoted number due to the fact that it is more difficult to get the proper nutrients with less, but it can be done so there is no hard and fast rule.

That said, 99% of the time the problem lies in underestimating your calories. Make sure you are counting every morsel, beverage, teaspoon, whatever, you put in your mouth. If you are not using a food scale, get one. They really are invaluable for accurate measuring of food intake.