Coconut water !

Options
Just bought 2 big cartons, never realised all the health benefits of it and it tastes great not fattening either. Definitely be adding this to my diet. What health foods or drinks have you added to your diet purely based on the fact they are good for you ? Amazing all the things on supermarket shelves I probably walk by with no idea of thier health benefits, coconut water for one, always known it existed but no idea the many health benefits

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I like fresh coconut water but can't see buying it in tetra-pack.

Why do you claim it's "not fattening", it's hardly low calorie?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Double post, doh!
  • strshllw84
    strshllw84 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I tried it a couple of times. And the taste just reminded me of B.O, like sweat mixed with water or something. My tastebuds must be off, because i like coconut in general, but just not in its water form.

Omg! This! That's exactly the words I was looking for when I tasted coconut water! And I also like coconut in general!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What health benefits? I like fresh coconut but the boxed coconut water not so much. Have you tried fresh?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I believe the alleged health benefits are wildly overstated. I also don't really like the taste.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Viral marketing, paid for by the coconut water producers?
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Had some fresh coconut water yesterday, poured straight from the coconut. Cut them open myself at home.

I don't buy the packaged one as it just doesn't taste like the real thing.
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I like fresh coconut water but can't see buying it in tetra-pack.

Why do you claim it's "not fattening", it's hardly low calorie?

Agreed. I didn't mind the taste, and I found it refreshing, but certainly not low calorie at all.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Plain coconut water tastes like butter to me for some reason, but the chocolate zico coconut water is good post workout fuel! If you like it I say go for it. The extra potassium can never hurt
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Too many calories are fattening.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Well, how many calories does it have? And fat isn't fattening. Too many calories are fattening.
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of it.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    O.N.E makes a pineapple flavor of their coconut water. I lived on that stuff when I was maybe 15. I used to stick it outside my window in the middle of the winter so it'd get a little frosty, then drink up. Unfortunately, I don't really like any other coconut water, but my family saw me drinking so much of it that almost 8 years later, they still stock coconut water in the house every time I come back to visit. Just not that brand ;_;
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have a severe coconut allergy, so I wish everyone would get off the coconut kick. Outback and Waffle House are now on my list of restaurants where I cannot eat.
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like coconut water in my smoothies but that's about it. The taste by itself is nasty to me. Water in smoothies makes them taste watered down and juice kind of over powers the smoothie but I find that coconut water is perfect.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Coconut water tastes disgusting to me. I tried it once because I was curious -- never again.

I make it a general rule not to add anything to my diet just because it's good for me. If I'm interesting in getting more of something in my diet, I will try new foods that are good sources for that particular thing, but if I don't enjoy the taste, I move along.

My philosophy is that eating should be joyful as well as nourishing.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Zico (the watermelon raspberry is my favorite) especially after workouts or if I'm thirsty and plain water just doesn't sound satisfying.