Thoughts on this

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
You see it in pro basketball, where star players sit during the regular season to avoid injury or get some extra rest once they are in the playoffs even if they are fine to play.
Now in college, to ensure better draft position or to make sure they have an NFL career, players are sitting out their BOWL games. Christian McCaffrey sat out his bowl game and got a lot of heat for it, but the game was pretty much meaningless and there was no actual benefit for him to play.
But this also can create animosity amongst college teamates who bust their butt every play and try to work as a team to win regardless. I can see the POV from both sides.

Opinions on this ongoing dilema?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    It's fine for the really good players in small bowl games. Injuries do happen that ruin a players entire life.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Star player sitting out their bowl game after he worked hard to get the team to that point is a cop out..In the end there is "I" in team. Just my opinion.
  • Jayco141
    Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Star player sitting out their bowl game after he worked hard to get the team to that point is a cop out..In the end there is "I" in team. Just my opinion.

Easy to say harder to do, especially when you are a top 10 projected in the draft with literally millions on the hook. College players like McCaffrey are exploited by the college, they sell his jerseys, bobbleheads, and market them to get better TV contracts.

If they wants to sit out its hard to blame them. Trust me I get the team argument, but when you are in a family with tough financial decisions its even harder.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Jayco141 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Easy to say harder to do, especially when you are a top 10 projected in the draft with literally millions on the hook. College players like McCaffrey are exploited by the college, they sell his jerseys, bobbleheads, and market them to get better TV contracts.

If they wants to sit out its hard to blame them. Trust me I get the team argument, but when you are in a family with tough financial decisions its even harder.

I can see many sides to why as it relates to money..after all in the end always usually come down to money. But my opinion on the team still stands. .
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This is a REALLY easy subject to armchair QB when it's not your millions you're putting at risk. I had a cousin who played a few seasons of professional football and he's one of the majority who tried and busted his tail and didn't make anything but business contacts that helped him later.

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Most of those bowl games are just extra ticket revenue at the end of the year. There are too many and none but one matter. If one player sits out and it effects the whole team, then they shouldn't be playing in a bowl game to begin with.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You see it in pro basketball, where star players sit during the regular season to avoid injury or get some extra rest once they are in the playoffs even if they are fine to play.
    Now in college, to ensure better draft position or to make sure they have an NFL career, players are sitting out their BOWL games. Christian McCaffrey sat out his bowl game and got a lot of heat for it, but the game was pretty much meaningless and there was no actual benefit for him to play.
    But this also can create animosity amongst college teamates who bust their butt every play and try to work as a team to win regardless. I can see the POV from both sides.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You misspelled: dilemma

My wife, who is infinitely more intelligent than me, lost a bet on the proper spelling of this word. It haunts her to this day.

And......

Skippng a bowl game isn't exactly the crime of the century, unless you're playing for a national championship.

I don't fault the kid at all.

Why risk injury and millions of dollars just to win the Poinsettia Bowl?
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    As a fan it sucks because I wanna see the best players on the field. But I understand why some of them sit, you don't get paid to play college ball .Why risk it all especially if you know you'll be drafted? Do what's best for your health and get your money. People criticize players for sitting but we all know how fast the NFL will drop you or pass you up in the draft if you happen to have an injury that they think may linger and cause potential problems in the future.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Maybe that's what Uncle Rico's coach had in mind when he sat him in high school.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    When is Chipotle gonna get a bowl game named after them?

• ninerbuff
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    Start paying college players and this becomes less of an issue.
    Well not really because then small colleges wouldn't have a chance to get players on scholarships. And lots of players in the NFL have come from small colleges. Not to mention, how long will a player be allowed to play? As long as they are a college student, then why bother leaving if they are getting paid to play football?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    One of my students who attends on a FB scholarship just missed several weeks due to a head injury. Back this week heartbroken because he's had so many head injuries already at 19 that he has to quit playing football. It was his life. Give the kids a break.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    I get the small school argument. But you honestly think those kids want to stay in school that long?
    If they have no major are getting paid to play football and can party till they're 30?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Personally I can see why they sit out. But isn't there a rookie cap? How much does their value go up between 10th and 1st? It's actually not much at all.
    Previously there was no rookie cap and guys like Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell and Reggie Bush made outrageous contracts even though they weren't NFL tested.
    I believe the highest a rookie can make now is 27 million. JaMarcus Russell made 60 million with 32 million guaranteed. Lol, IMO he's the smartest QB ever to play the game. He knew he couldn't play well, held out till he got the contract, and stuck around long enough to get his money owed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png