Unbelievably tired after Breakfast

Options
It never fails me. I can eat a simple bowl of Oatmeal, or go crazy and get a Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit from Hardee's, I ALWAYS end up extremely tired after eating my breakfast. To the point that I sometimes nod off at work. Is there something I'm missing? It does not matter what I eat. Even Naked Green Machine with an Apple puts me in the mood for a nice slumber. I try to make my breakfast protein rich but it still doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep?
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    1) Get more sleep.
    2) If you get lots of sleep, get some bloodwork done. Nodding off at work was only when I was borderline anemic and/or had issues with hypothyroidism.
    3) Coffee.
  • iBMikey
    iBMikey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As far as sleep I could probably use more. Hard to deny that one lol. But even nights when I sleep 9-10 hours, I can eat breakfast, and within 15-20 minutes I'm ready to crawl back in bed and sleep.

Eh. Coffee. I like Iced Coffee, but that's it. Never been a big coffee fan.

Do I need breakfast is a good question. I'm sure I don't but I've always heard that eating breakfast is suppose to add the extra pep in your step to kick the day off. Does the complete opposite for me.

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    iBMikey wrote: »
    It never fails me. I can eat a simple bowl of Oatmeal, or go crazy and get a Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit from Hardee's, I ALWAYS end up extremely tired after eating my breakfast. To the point that I sometimes nod off at work. Is there something I'm missing? It does not matter what I eat. Even Naked Green Machine with an Apple puts me in the mood for a nice slumber. I try to make my breakfast protein rich but it still doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Sleep. It's pretty important.

Have you ever monitored your sleep to see if you really are getting as much as you think? If not, try it. You may be surprised. Nodding off is classic symptoms of lack of a good night's sleep. Been there done that too many times, for a long time. Nowadays I make sure I get a solid 8 hours, and no more nodding off.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Do you nod off after any other meal? Have you had your blood sugar tested lately? Maybe get tested for sleep apnea as well?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    As far as sleep I could probably use more. Hard to deny that one lol. But even nights when I sleep 9-10 hours, I can eat breakfast, and within 15-20 minutes I'm ready to crawl back in bed and sleep.

Do I need breakfast is a good question. I'm sure I don't but I've always heard that eating breakfast is suppose to add the extra pep in your step to kick the day off. Does the complete opposite for me.

It's not your breakfast. It's SLEEP.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

There are very few hard and fast rules here. The methods that work for you... keep doing. The ones that don't... don't.

Related to your post...
    - get more sleep, especially consistently.
    - try skipping breakfast. it's clearly not giving you anything.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    ... perhaps not the scientifically correct answer, but I'd include coffee w/that breakfast.

Caffeine FTW. (Sorry not sorry)

Yes, caffeine is a good option.

Do you get this after any other meals?
  • iBMikey
    Options
    I wear my Charge 2 while I sleep since it monitors my restlessness. When I don't eat breakfast, I'm good. No tired feelings, nodding off, etc. I'm sure I have Sleep Apnea as my wife has said sometimes it looks like I'm having a hard time breathing, hence the reason I'm losing weight.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Do you have sleep apnea? Because this sounds like someone with sleep apnea talking.
  • iBMikey
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    ... perhaps not the scientifically correct answer, but I'd include coffee w/that breakfast.

Caffeine FTW. (Sorry not sorry)

Yes, caffeine is a good option.

Do you get this after any other meals?

Only Breakfast. Of course any heavy meal does this. But if eta my controlled lunches and dinners, I usually have energy. It seems to be only when I eat Breakfast.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you feel tired even when you get enough sleep, then caffeine might fix a symptom, but will not help the underlying problem. What you are describing points to potential medical concerns. For example, you could have sleep apnea, or a form of hypoglycemia that causes your blood sugar to crash after eating, or other medical issues that lead to fatigue or poor sleep quality. I'd advise a visit to the doctor.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm not a coffee drinker either. Try water - hydration is good for waking up.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    I wear my Charge 2 while I sleep since it monitors my restlessness. When I don't eat breakfast, I'm good. No tired feelings, nodding off, etc. I'm sure I have Sleep Apnea as my wife has said sometimes it looks like I'm having a hard time breathing, hence the reason I'm losing weight.

Well ... don't eat breakfast, and get tested for Sleep Apnea.

I don't eat breakfast. Instead, when I get to work I have a cup of coffee and a tall glass of cold water. Then later I have a light snack.
  • iBMikey
    Options
    Water is all I drink anymore.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You might have a food sensitivity or food allergy. They are common, and what you're describing is a common side effect.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Well ... don't eat breakfast, and get tested for Sleep Apnea.

That^^.