I want to keep my curves

Options
I need some tips on how I can loose fat overall but maily keep my curves and breasts. I am 5'2 210 pounds and my short term goal weight is 170 long term 140. I work out 3 times a week sometimes 4, i try to do 1 hr of cardio and some squats and other machines at the gym. If anyone has any tips on good workouts to keep curves please let me know im new at this whole trying to loose weight thing and mfp... so far i have lost two pounds in the last week and a half. I just need pointers!!

Replies

• nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There is no way to lose fat in targeted areas while keeping it in others. Your fat cell distribution is determined by genetics as well as the areas that gain and lose and what rate that happens. What I've realized from taking measurements is at my highest weight and my lowest, my bust/waist/hip ratio stays the same, it just gets smaller overall as I lose weight. Chances are you will lose fat in generally the same order you gained it in so you'll still have curves, they'll just be smaller overall
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    cmriverside is correct. We do not get to pick and choose where the fat is lost and where it is retained. It will vary from person to person, though if you have female relatives who are thinner you may be able to look at them and get an idea of what the thinner you may look like (stress on the "may" part of that statement, btw.) Including strength training is fantastic as it helps you to retain muscle mass and from my own experience and observation, muscles help to encourage/highlight/create curves.

With your goal of 140, my guess is that you will still be curvy. Just be aware that there's often an "I look kind of weird and disproportionate" phase as you go through fat loss. Don't let that discourage you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of good things about Strong Curves: A Woman's Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body. You can get a sample of the book for free, or google the author, Bret Contreras.
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Definitely agree that strength training is important if you love your curves. Muscle definition helps to accentuate and lift them. :) But yes, your shape is defined by genetics and you will not have control over where you lose fat.

Congrats on a great start!
  • melaninbabyy
    melaninbabyy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the feedback, I will definately get myself a measuring tape and get into strength training! cant loose these curves ! but itf its genetics i shouldnt have a problem!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Everyone is correct. It's genetics and you can't pick and choose. For me I will always have a booty but the boobs are usually first to go when I lose. It's just how I'm built. I still prefer how I look with a toned big butt and smaller breasts over the other option though.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I started out pretty much the same size/shape as you. I suppose I do have some curves left, but would I swap what I have now for what I had then? Absolutely no way!! You learn to look at yourself differently and figure what looks suit you best and appreciate what you have now that you didn't have before.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    i was always hourglass shaped, So i kept my curves. If your hourglass shaped or pear shaped or wherever you keep the curves naturally, Youll keep them. Just become possibly a tighter semi saggier version of you
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I can share that I definitely lost a bra cup size (and might lose another one since I have a few more pounds to go), but I lost a lot more in the bra band size. I went from a 40DDD to a 32DD. "Curvy" pants still fit me better, but now they're a size 0 instead of size 16. So yes, you might lose a bit of boob and/or butt, but overall you might still have similar proportions.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I lost my breast and Im sorta bummed but overall I'm healthier so can't complain