Finding A Personal Trainer

I'm probably gonna quit my morning job soon so I can treat my weight loss like a job. I'm hoping to find a personal trainer for a few months to teach me weight training til I'm comfortable enough with my knowledge and form to do everything on my own and with internet/book help. How did you guys find a relatively affordable person to help you start your journey??

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    That's some serious dedication. I think most gyms have personal trainers on staff. I wouldn't put an ad out on Craigslist or anything. Good luck!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    What is your ultimate goal? Why would you quit work to lose weight? I used a personal trainer once. >20 years ago and it was the biggest waste of $350. There is plenty of free information online, but you have to know what you want to do.
  • teenytinyprincesspea
    teenytinyprincesspea Posts: 33 Member
    cathipa wrote: »
    What is your ultimate goal? Why would you quit work to lose weight? I used a personal trainer once. >20 years ago and it was the biggest waste of $350. There is plenty of free information online, but you have to know what you want to do.

So my morning job is just supplemental income. It's 300 every 2 weeks. My night job is where i make all my money.
    My huge fear is not having correct form and training myself all wrong.
    My ultimate goal is to get down to 130 but build muscle. I have a natural hourglass figure but i want it really enhanced. Also eventually getting cosmetic surgery after I hit my goal weight.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Just do your research. Ask for references before you pay them. If they are pushing supplements (especially BCAAs or specific brands) - run. Any one can be a personal trainer (its an online cert). If you already go to a gym there are usually plenty of members who are willing to help with form and give tips for free. Just some suggestions.
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    Be careful on that. Most are just glorified, and don't live the lifestyle you're looking for help with. Do your homework and find someone with a solid running background. Just because they've completed a half marathon and read a book doesn't mean they're good. Personally there's enough information out there for free. I started out running, did a marathon 8 months later, got bored with just running, so I got into Triathlons. My goal was to complete an Ironman, and imdoing that in September. I still runmarathons as well. Never once thought about hiring a personal trainer. I read books, and a lot of internet searches. Found what worked for me.