A 5K....really?

Options
leynak
leynak Posts: 963 Member
Ok, I just decided to do C25K. I did my first day yesterday. When I started I had not even been thinking about doing an ACTUAL 5K it was mainly just to get into running for weight loss. Then someone asked me if I was going to sign up for a race & I thought that's crazy. But, now I'm beginning to think that it's not so crazy and it would actually be pretty neat. I even looked into some schedules for 5K's near me.

The problem I'm having now is I am wondering is this even a possibility for me? I have never ever liked to run. Even when I was in grade & middle school I did a 15+ minute mile because I walked the whole thing. I have been skinnier than I am now but never healthy. I only lost weight in H.S. because I walked home from school & only ate a small dinner. So, I basically starved myself & still didn't like how I looked but that was only because I didn't exercise and wasn't toned up. I'm doing it the right way this time.

I WAS getting really excited at the thought of me being able to do a 5K. Last night though I started getting thoughts like - I've never been able to do something like this & I'm not going to be able to now, or what if I get to that day and I can't finish. In the past I have been very afraid of failure so much that I usually just won't do something if I feel like there's even a small chance of failing. Right now, I am not only trying to change my weight but also my life. And I guess all I can say right now is that all of this (my life change, this 5K, getting out of my comfort zone) scares me - a LOT.

This is the race I was looking at:

http://www.santahustleindianapolis.com/index.html

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible. And you should. I went from nothing (not having run in 14 years) to doing a 10k in a couple of months, and that was only running once a week. I got 64 minutes, which at the time I thought was awful, but now I realise isn't a bad time at all.

Absolutely you can do a 5k. And more.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Its definately possible. I did a 5k in June. I've been very overweight my whole life and always just walked around the track in high school gym class. My trainer in January challenged me to sign up for the British Heart foundation 5k. With no official running training, just getting up and going for runs and working out at the gym I completed my 5k - it took me 44 minutes and I cried when I crossed the finish line. You can do it!!
  • allready_gone
    Options
    Of course you can do a 5K. I hadn't run since High School when I quit smoking at 33 or 34 (I've blocked it as a traumatic experience). I started running in September sporadically and ran my first 5K the following March. I ran my first half marathon the March following that!! The key is to be consistent, follow a program like Couch to 5K and do not increase your mileage to quickly or you will end up with an injury.
  • dzdame
    dzdame Posts: 89
    Options
    I have always been overweight and have always hated running..Over a year ago, I started to get healthy using MFP and started changing up my workouts and included running at the gym on the treadmill and track..My sister had run races in the past and she started to run with me a couple of months ago...I am going to be 50 in a few months and I decided to add "Run a 5K" to my "To Do Before I Turn 50" list...Well, a few weeks ago, on a hot Sunday morning, I ran my 1st 5k! I was SO scared because we only trained a couple of days/week and my times were horrible (12-13 min./mile)..I wasn' t even sure I would be able to finish...However, I shocked myself (and probably everyone else) by finishing the race in 31 minutes (9.59 min/mile)!! So, I say GO FOR IT!! You can do it!! The day of the race, you will be nervous, but that is normal..you may feel like you are going to toss your breakfast while you are doing it (I did), but when you finish (and you will), you will feel such a sense of accomplishment! The other racers will motivate you to go harder and faster and finish the race! I thought that this would be my first and last race, but now we are going to do another in October, hoping to better our PR..YOU CAN DO IT, too!! Good luck!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do it!

I'm a good many years older than you, and have never been a runner at all. I started C25k in December and ran my first race in March. By May, I was able to keep up with my 25 year old niece who's always been athletic, finishing a 5mile race just seven seconds behind her.
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    I know you can do it. I ran my first one last month, and will be running my second next weekend. Before than I hadn't run (especially outside) in years. I hated to run outside, but now I love it, so much so that I jog pretty much everyday (weather premitting). When I first signed up for the 5k I had the same thoughts going through my head as you - but on race day I was so excited and so pumped that I had not doubts about finishing. My goal for my first race was just to finish (didn't really care about time - only trained for 4 weeks). I finished in 33.01 this time my goal is to jog the whole thing (had to walk a little last time). Being around so many other people on race day will keep you motivated to reach the finish line - and at the end to accomplishment you will feel can't be expressed in words... :flowerforyou:
  • QuestForFitness
    Options
    I've always hated running, and when I'm running just to run/get in shape...I kinda suck...but when I ran my first 5k I KILLED it! I didn't walk once and it was the easiest run for me so far. But when I got back to just running for myself I was much slower again. Racing is the only way that I stay motivated! I'm still only able to run about a mile without taking a break to walk, but I've recently decided to start training for the Disney Princess Half in February and do some 5ks along the way.

SOOOO yes, I think you could definitely do it, racing adds something new to running that is just awesome. Plus, I didn't even come close to winning and that did not matter one bit. I'm racing against myself, not anyone else.
  • K9Lover
    K9Lover Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've downloaded the app and really want to try, but I just don't believe I can do it. I've never run in my life and I'm 64. Are there any older runners out there to encourage me?
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. You've made me feel better. Now if I could just get out of my own head! Luckily the one I'm looking at isn't until December. I should have plenty of time & who knows maybe I'll be more confident by that time :smile: Oh yeah I was also wondering: Is it harder to run in cold or hot weather?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I hate the cold. Hate hate hate.

But I'd rather run in the cold than the heat. It feels about 15-20 F degrees warmer when you're running.