Why am I so bad at this the second time round?

Options
So a few years ago I went from 182lbs to 127lbs, I didn't have a lot going on in my life so I was dedicated (maybe even slightly obssessed with losing weight). I stayed that way for a while, I went up to about 130lbs and stayed there for ages. I then moved in with my other half and went up to 140lbs which I was ok with. Then I started a new job and gained friends and we'd go out to eat etc. I'm now at an uncomfortable 157lbs which is making me miserable! I want to get back to 130 but I'm finding it really difficult this time. I'm 5'3 so MFP has me at 1250 cals a day which I'm struggling with... My friends always wanna go out to eat and I try to eat the lowest calorie meal on the menu but even then they're around 700 cals. I just fall off the wagon so easily for some reason, even though I lost weight so well the last time!

Can anyone give any advice?

Replies

• razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    perhaps u have ur weight loss goal set too high its better to set it lower and keep at it rather then set it too high and be unable to stick to it
  • juliehmaui2016
    juliehmaui2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Most places will have some sort of salad on the menu. Perhaps order water with a slice of lemon for you beverage and a salad with dressing on the side, grilled chicken if you want meat on it and if there are high fat cheeses or croutons just request it without. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you set your weight loss goal, did you set it to two pounds per week? 1,250 is pretty low. If you choose a more reasonable goal, you will get more calories. Also, if you exercise you will be able to eat back at least some of those calories.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    When you set your weight loss goal, did you set it to two pounds per week? 1,250 is pretty low. If you choose a more reasonable goal, you will get more calories. Also, if you exercise you will be able to eat back at least some of those calories.

I have it set to 1lb a week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Be more active. I get to eat 800 extra calories every day from being active.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was in the exact same position as you! I'm also 5'3 and I went from 175 to 125. It took me the second time losing all the weight for it to stick. The first time I didn't change my habits and I stopped exercising. This time I have been able to successfully maintain. I have continued exercising, and I go on a weekly goal instead of daily. I bank calories. If I know I'm going out with friends on a Friday I will eat less on Wednesday and Thursday so I have more calories when I go out. There isn't any magic to eating the same thing every day. There are some days where I eat quite a lot, some days I eat a smaller amount. The trick is to not keep putting off the lower days, or else it will get out of control. it's much easier to eat a bit less for a few days or do more exercise beforehand then it is to try and restrict after. The hardest thing to balance is sweets and alcohol. Most of the time I abstain from alcohol to avoid a calorie blow out and the sweets are put off as long as possible until I really want them. It helps me a lot to tell myself that I can still have that but I will have it tomorrow or next week instead. The treats are much better when I have waited a while for them!
  • ajc1309
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I'm on my feet for 11 hours a day at work.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    ajc1309 wrote: »

What have you set your activity level to? 1,250 calories for someone who has an active job and wants to lose one pound a week seems low.
  • ajc1309
    Options

What have you set your activity level to? 1,250 calories for someone who has an active job and wants to lose one pound a week seems low.

I have it set to sedentary.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

If you're on your feet for eleven hours a day for work, you aren't sedentary.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

ld62xejud39i.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So a few years ago I went from 182lbs to 127lbs, I didn't have a lot going on in my life so I was dedicated (maybe even slightly obssessed with losing weight). I stayed that way for a while, I went up to about 130lbs and stayed there for ages. I then moved in with my other half and went up to 140lbs which I was ok with. Then I started a new job and gained friends and we'd go out to eat etc. I'm now at an uncomfortable 157lbs which is making me miserable! I want to get back to 130 but I'm finding it really difficult this time. I'm 5'3 so MFP has me at 1250 cals a day which I'm struggling with... My friends always wanna go out to eat and I try to eat the lowest calorie meal on the menu but even then they're around 700 cals. I just fall off the wagon so easily for some reason, even though I lost weight so well the last time!

Can anyone give any advice?

I suspect you're falling off the wagon easily now because you are undereating due to your activity level not set correctly.

But yes, I did find it easier to lose weight when I had no OH or social events that revolved around food. I do have to plan a lot more now. Prelogging helps.