I'll workout tommorow

Options
WilliamVE
WilliamVE Posts: 31 Member
Hi I am 5'1 and weigh 170lb. I have been constantly trying to lose weight, one day I go and workout them I think to myself wow I deserve a break and don't workout for another week or 2.

I don't have much time to workout so I want to try SOME HIIT but how do I get motivated to do that? I started at 177lb and my lowest weight this year was 165lb. I love to play basketball outside in my spare time. I also have a gym pass so whatever you suggest I will try and try.

Thankyou! I also need people for motivation tell me to add u in comments.

Replies

• V4kerker
    V4kerker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Tomorrows gone.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,005 Member
    Options
    Get up and go for a walk right now. Then go for another in a couple hours.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't have a ton of free time either, I'm trying to maximise the ten or fifteen minutes I can steal in the middle of the day. Go for walks on my lunch, run errands from one end of the office to the other, take the long way to the copier.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I walk on my morning, lunch and afternoon breaks at work. This usually gets me to 10,000 steps for the day.

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    WilliamVE wrote: »
    I don't have much time to workout so I want to try SOME HIIT but how do I get motivated to do that?

The easiest way is to enjoy the workout. You're far more likely to make time for something you actually like! So try out a few different things - cycling, running, swimming, playing squash, whatever - and find out what you enjoy and what's easy to fit into your routine.

I enjoy walking, swimming and weights. So I fit a gym routine with weights into two lunchtimes a week, go swimming every Sunday morning (which also gets me up early, so that I don't waste half the day) and go walking during lunchtimes, breaks etc. I'm hoping that I'll soon be at a weight where I can cycle, and looking forward to cycling to work and on the common at weekends.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I don't have much time to workout so I want to try SOME HIIT but how do I get motivated to do that? I started at 177lb and my lowest weight this year was 165lb. I love to play basketball outside in my spare time. I also have a gym pass so whatever you suggest I will try and try.

Skip the HIIT. Find people to play ball with.

Motivation is fleeting and you shouldn't rely on it. Do you love your job? Probably not. Do you feel motivated to go to work every day? Do you go anyway?

HIIT is terrible for weight loss, and it's not really suited to beginners at exercise. (I'm talking actual HIIT, not just marketing HIIT.) It's useful for athletes who want to train their anaerobic systems but that's about it. You're struggling to make yourself do it. But you enjoy basketball, which is good cardiovascular exercise, a good calorie burner, and fun for you - obvious choice.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    As soon as I started to walk for an hour a day 'just do it!' the weight started to fall off. And this motivated me to continue walking. Something like a fitbit can be hugely motivating, and can encourage you to do more incidental exercise throughout the course of your day without having to plan a particular trip to the gym. If you have people at work with fitbits you can do challenges with each other to see who can do the most steps in a day, a week or over the course of a weekend which is fun too.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This is one of those things you just have to decide to do and do it. In time, it will become routine and you WILL feel much better. Just do it. It is completely worth it and you will thank yourself later.
  • Wd011000
    Wd011000 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Join a basketball league. You have to change your thinking so that exercise is not an optional thing, even if it means waking up at a horribly early hour. For myself, I have to get my exercise in first thing in the morning, or it won't get done. I find it easier to get to the gym if I put on my workout clothes as soon as I get up. If I stay in pajamas and a robe, it's a whole lot easier to dink around and decide to just take a shower and promise to exercise tomorrow.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Make one small change. Do ten push ups every morning. After a couple of weeks add a second exercise. After a couple of more weeks a third. Build yourself a routine and stick to it. Get a calendar for the wall and put a big check mark for every day you do your routine.

After it becomes habit - change it up - do push ups every second day and so on.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You don't need to work out at all in order to lose weight-that can be done just by eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. However, if you do get in some exercise you get a few more calories to play with, which means you get to eat more.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 5'1 and weigh 170lb. I have been constantly trying to lose weight, one day I go and workout them I think to myself wow I deserve a break and don't workout for another week or 2.

You can definitely lose weight without working out but I would at least get some walking in if you can at least every other day if you can't do it daily. Just keep weighing/measuring your foods and you should still be able to see a loss.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Find something you enjoy as an activity, if you're not enjoying your workouts you won't motivate yourself to do them. As has already been mentioned it's not necessary for weight loss, but it is good for helping to maintain muscle and to improve you overall health. I personally like to do Youtube workouts at home, a mixture of low impact cardio, strength training and yoga/pilates stretches, I also love to go on long walks and can burn upwards of 1000 calories if I'm taking a particularly long or demanding one. If you enjoy basketball, could you set up a regular game with some people you know? The Meetup app is great for finding groups locally that might arrange a regular game or for setting up your own.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It helps to make workouts a habit. Set a schedule and stick to it for a couple of weeks and once in a routine you may decide you like it.
  • Mward614
    Mward614 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm always a fan of doing a workout that your enjoy. That way you don't have to convince" yourself to go. However, I know not everyone has that. I've started with an accountability buddy, I set a goal each week and if I don't verify (photo or something) that I achieved the goal then I have to do a less desirable task- for me it's picking up puppy poop in the backyard
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, you can lose weight without working out, but your body will be much better off with some exercise. For those that say they have little time to work out, complete this diary honestly:

Time spent per week:
    Work---- hrs
    Sleep/personal hygiene ---- hrs
    Eating----hrs
    Commuting----hrs
    Family time----hrs (not just vegging in front of a tube with them)
    Errands----hrs
    Chores----hrs

Total ----hrs

168-total = Hours available for Exercise.

Most modern US presidents have found time to exercise. Not having time, for the most part, is a piss poor excuse.
  • jdstarz
    jdstarz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Finding an exercise you really enjoy, maybe with a social element might make it easier to incorporate into your schedule.
    Youtube has a tonne of different free exercise videos to choose from so that might be a good place to start, get up 30mins earlier than normal and pop on a youtube fitness video.
    Hope that gives you some ideas :)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

Don't confuse your level of exercise and your weight loss.

If you want to lose weight, do it in the kitchen. If you want to get in better shape, HIIT is a good choice. Your exercise may aid your weight loss or it may greatly increase your appetite.