Question for people who had a lot of weight to lose

Options
I'm asking for my husband who shuns all forms of social media and would never ask for himself. :)

He's 6'3 and 344 lbs. MFP is giving him a pretty large amount of calories, a little over 2400.

I know that generally you're supposed to make sure you eat close to your calorie limit...but will it hurt him to eat quite a bit less since he's got a lot to lose?
I'm trying to get him to eat more but he's stubborn. Maybe when he gets hungry enough he'll come to his senses.

Replies

• d8106red
    d8106red Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    the issue will be when he has to cut calories it will be hard because hes a large guy which can actually slow his weight loss, it would be better to start at 2500 calories and then every 20 lbs he loses, so he doesn't plateau then cut off 200 calories, if he starts low he doesn't have much room to move when he weighs less.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    2400 isn't that many. My maintence is around 2300, and I'm 5'3, 135ish.

At his size, 2400 should be doable and not so extreme that he gives up.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I know that generally you're supposed to make sure you eat close to your calorie limit...but will it hurt him to eat quite a bit less since he's got a lot to lose?
    The issue with eating too little is that your body can only metabolize a certain amount of fat per day - if you lose beyond this limit, a steeply increasing proportion of the lost weight will be muscle, not fat. Abt 1% of total body weight per week on average will be a good rate for most people - a bit on the higher side if a lot to lose, a bit on the lower side if little to lose.
    I'm trying to get him to eat more but he's stubborn. Maybe when he gets hungry enough he'll come to his senses.
    The problem with this is that what you want to do after eating too little or poorly for an extended period, isn't to follow a sensible diet and get in good eating habits, but go on a serious binge, for weeks, maybe months and years.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I started at 330. So to lose 2 lbs per week MFP gave me 2320 calories. I regularly was under that and lost ~ 15 lbs per month for the first three months.

I've not had any health effects that I know of, but I am a bit concerned that what I did may show up down the road as gallstones. Have him read this. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/weight-control/dieting_gallstones/Pages/dieting-and-gallstones.aspx

Scares the crap outta me know knowing I could have gallstones in my future because I did go a bit overboard. I "think" I'm okay, but it really isn't worth the risk so I don't recommend more than the 2 lb per week.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    How much hurt is he willing to bear?
    By eating at a deficit to lose more than 1% of his body weight each week, he's sacrificing muscle. He's assuring himself of developing great sheets of loose skin which hangs from his arms, legs, and especially his torso.
    He may even be depriving himself of nutrients and electrolytes needed to support life and health at the weight he is.

Much better it is lose not more than 1% of his weight each week while deliberately consuming enough protein to support a progressive weight-lifting program to preserve, protect, and build muscle while losing weight. The increased mass of muscle will support the overlaying skin and minimize the appearance of loose skin, as far as possible. In addition, as he loses fat and retains muscle, his body muscle ratio increases and his BMR, TDEE, and NEAT all will be higher than if he had sacrificed muscle. With the higher BMR, TDEE, and NEAT, he can eat more, making it easier to eat enough protein to continue preserving, protecting, and growing his awesome muscles.

Progressive heavy lifting isn't completely easy. It might even be said to hurt. But it's a good hurt.
  • Leah_62803
    Leah_62803 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Ok. I'll try to explain things to him again. He always tries to overdo it. He thinks he should eat like me but I'm only eating 1600 a day.

I feel like all he needs to do is watch his portions but he always want to buy special, low calorie foods and goes too far. He went grocery shopping and spent a ton of money on special stuff for his work lunches. I'm 100% sure that eating a sandwich and chips every day for lunch is not what made him obese.