Actually trying for 10,000 steps

Options
Just curious to see how many of you out there have to actually work to hit your 10,000 steps or more. I have always considered myself active (mom of 2 toddlers, stay at home). By the end of the day I am always exhausted from laundry, cleaning, and cooking. Recently I started tracking my steps outside of exercise and was surprised I only hit around 7,000. If I include my exercise I am well over 10,000. If I want to hit 10,000 a day without my exercise included I really have to try, which means parking farther from the grocery store, running around with the kids more, walking to the park, etc. This is a good thing, but I am just surprised at home much I have to work at getting 10,000 when I assumed it was so easy being a stay at home mom.

Replies

• alice_schmalice
    alice_schmalice Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I sit all day at work so I have to walk Intentionally before I go to work, at lunch and after work to get 10k.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    When I go into my office to work I can pretty easily get 10,000 steps with that and a dog walk. If I work from home it takes a heck of a lot more effort to get to 10,000. It's almost 2:00 and I barely have over 1,000 steps today because I am at home.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps is just a rather arbitrary guideline to get you to move more...it doesn't actually have to be 10,000 steps. I don't worry about getting in steps...I make time for deliberate exercise and ride about 60 miles per week at the moment and lift 2-3x per week. I've never tracked steps.

There's nothing scientific about 10,000 steps...it comes from a 1960s marketing for a pedometer in Japan called manpo-kei which translates to 10,000 steps.

The idea is just to move more. There's no way I would have time to work, get crap done at the house, get kids homework help, do my exercise, and try to get in 10,000 steps (about 5 miles) everyday...just not realistic for me.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Desk job so it is a battle to get them in. I always park in the farthest lot and I work on the second floor and the ice and water are on the first (the combo of that also helps me drink more water because I chug the water when my Fitbit tells me to go get the steps so I can walk downstairs). Weekends I usually don't have a problem
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    A normal day for me is 6000 steps.

On top of that I work out 5 x a week
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Yes, I intentionally try to get 10k+ steps every day. I honestly look forward to my long walks.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I also work at a desk. For me to hit a 10k step goal, I have to walk at lunch.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis so struggle to make 10k but I do hit it sometimes. I am trying to walk more to keep flexible.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have an office job and i have to work hard to get my 10K. it takes me about 10 minutes to do 1K, so that means i have to walk over an hour and a half total to get that much. When i sit all day at work its hard and that means i have to take 15 minute walks as often as i can, and then walk again when i get home.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to hit it today; I'm at 8,228 right now. :) I walk down the stairs and then back up at lunch (50 flights), which is where a lot of it comes from.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I sit at work, so I take a walk every day to hit my goal. Yes, 10k is arbitrary, but it's a good goal for me since it means I get to eat a decent amount without working super hard for it. If I don't take a morning walk, I use my breaks and then walk after work. My morning walk is usually ~1.5 hours for 8k steps, and the rest I get at work. It's a lot at once, but I'd rather get it over with and be lazy the rest of the day.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    I also work at a desk. For me to hit a 10k step goal, I have to walk at lunch.

Yup, I walk at lunch every day with a 12k step goal. I lift, run, and do Crossfit, but sometimes it's still a struggle to hit. I did a 7mi run yesterday in addition to a bunch of walking and managed 24k, though.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'm a sahm mom too, I have one toddler with me all day, and two in school. In the winter there were days we didn't leave the house and I got only 3000 steps, so 7000 seems pretty good to me. As the weather has gotten better we walk to most errands. Grocery shopping, is about 5000 steps, coffee shop 4000 steps, walk to and around the park 3000 steps etc. As you walk more and more you'll gain energy, so it might be tiring now, but soon it'll be no big deal and you'll be going for 20 000 steps...or another goal.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have an active job so I hit 10k by the end of the workday lol. I usually end up with 15-20k depending on the day.
  • krushal8880
    krushal8880 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Desk job for me. I walk my dog in the morning and afternoon. I do most of my walking at lunch. By the end of the day, I try to have 12k but it's hard. I enjoy walking and I will be running soon to lose more weight.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I include my exercise in 10k, but on exercise days I want to see more than 10k. I have a desk job too and long days. If the weather isn't good 10k is a tough goal to hit. This weekend was great, sunshine and cool, got out and hit it easy and was actually surprised how good I felt after a really confining winter.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I actually try to get enough exercise, but steps isn't part of that for me.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I average 15000 steps a day but I make a conscious effort to be active.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    10k is the minimum for me. I aim for 15k. Really easy for me though except on super busy week end days when I have to cook or we're meeting friends.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I don't count steps. My movements are varied and can sometimes have me close to stationary, but the rest of my body is working, so a step count would be useless.
    I did the Vancouver sun run 10k,walking, yesterday and my iphone had it at 1200~ steps. MFP gave me an extra 132 cals for a total of 19600 steps for the day. (Had to look that up as I don't Count any more) it fascinates me that people get lots of cals for steps.

Cheers, h.