budget and diet

Options
I find that its hard to buy healthy foods while on a budget. Anyone have any great ideas to keep full and not break the bank?

Replies

• EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    yeah.. buy lots of tuna, eggs, lettuce, milk, black beans, theres lots that you can buy for like 50cents a serving.. n all these are loaded with protein
  • woofers1803
    Options
    Salad is a good cheap filler. It works pretty well.
  • swbernstel
    swbernstel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you have aldi grocery stores nearby, shop there. It may even be worth the trip if you have to drive a little ways, but there prices are ridiculously low on almost everything.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and eggs are my go-to foods. I get both at Costco. The Quaker Old-Fashioned Oats come in a 9- or 10-pound container, I think, and it's extremely inexpensive. I buy 5 dozen eggs at at time, and it's less than $7.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Are you on Facebook? If you are look for Surviving and Thriving on Pennies. It's a friend of mine who feeds a family of 6, mostly organic, on $50 a week. Some of her ideas don't work for me because I'm not a stay at home mom but some are easy to incorporate.

You can also find ways to save in other areas so you have more to spend on food. I make my own laundry and dish detergents. It's about $0.03/load and SUPER EASY. If you want the recipes let me know.
  • Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    Options
    lettuece, wheat bread, sliced cheese, tomatoes, and 100% roasted white meat chicken, under 400 calories, and less than 10.00 it will last you about a week or 2 :) hope this helps
  • duckle777
    duckle777 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a tight budget, too. I thought it would be hard to do this, but I buy a lot of lettuce. Usually romaine lettuce hearts in a bag. Tomatoes, tuna, skim milk. My big costs are fish fillets and chicken breast that I separate and freeze. It's a bit easier for me because I'm single. So a bag of chicken breasts/fish fillets can last me a month. I use these to top off my salads or eat with some brown rice. Or canned spinach.

We have a grocery store here that gives a lot of budget deals. Like buy a bag of lettuce and get a free bottle of salad dressing. So I usually look out for things like that.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Buy a vacuum sealer, it will be your friend!!!

In the beginning avoid expensive proteins like seafood. Buy those when you have some wiggle room in the budget. Focus on things like chicken, dried beans, brown rice, fresh fruits and veggies. Get creative and buy some new spices! You wont get sick of chicken if you learn to cook it differently :) I can share some recipes though the boards have TONS. And when you find one you and your family like, cook double and freeze half, especially when the ingredients are on sale, not only does it save your budget, you have instant healthy meals!

BUY ON SALE! I can not stress this enough! Chicken goes on sale atleast once a month in phoenix AZ (high standard of living in my area) for $1.19-1.60 per lb. And this is when we stock up! We wont have to buy chicken for 2-3 months off of a $30 purchase. look for other ingredients and spices in the 10 for 10 (i know most grocers nation wide do this) Eggs are always cheap, someone always has them on sale! I got 4 dozen for $4 a week ago, eggs for $1 a dozen are almost unheard of here, and man were people snagging them (remember if refrigerated eggs are good for 3 weeks past the sell by date).

Only buy enough fruits and veggies to make it through 4 days to a week (apples and oranges are heartier then berries and necatarines or peaches) yes you go to the grocery store more often, but you have less waste. If you like smoothies, and your produce it about to go bad CHOP IT AND FREEZE IT! A) youll try new flavors. B) no waste!

Waste is a huge culprit, so focus on makeing foods with the ingredients already in your house as much as possible. Then when you are truly low, re-stock on things that are on-sale and healthy. This will force you to make decisions based on health at this point not "Its in the cupboard"
  • mommyfirst77
    mommyfirst77 Posts: 119
    Options
    Are you on Facebook? If you are look for Surviving and Thriving on Pennies. It's a friend of mine who feeds a family of 6, mostly organic, on $50 a week. Some of her ideas don't work for me because I'm not a stay at home mom but some are easy to incorporate.

You can also find ways to save in other areas so you have more to spend on food. I make my own laundry and dish detergents. It's about $0.03/load and SUPER EASY. If you want the recipes let me know.

Would love the recipe~
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you have aldi grocery stores nearby, shop there. It may even be worth the trip if you have to drive a little ways, but there prices are ridiculously low on almost everything.

Agree! Aldi is awesome store for inexpensive fresh fruit and vegetables.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You know... we have a laugh now and again because for a long time we thought we couldn't afford to eat healthy. In reality, once we started eating one serving instead of any many as we could possible cram into our mouths, we can afford to eat whatever we want. lol

I travel pretty often, so my grocery list reflects whether or not I'm going to be home. I try not to buy more than one week's worth of groceries at a time when it comes to perishables. If we're not going eat it this week, I don't get it. (Speaking of which the milk expires today.)

I do recommend planning your meals out for the week and take into consideration what days you'll want a quick fix versus days you'll have time to prepare food. It makes it easier to narrow down what you really need to buy.

I'm also a fan of buying ingredients and then using them for several different meal options.
  • mangirl
    mangirl Posts: 93
    Options
    turkey, eggs, buy your lettuce by the head not in the bags or containers, canned tuna and chicken, frozen fish, buy the crystal light(i love the lemonade) that makes 2 quarts instead of the bottle servings. brown rice, canned beans, etc.

I am working a minimum wage job and am saving money by eating this way. I pretty much only eat things I have listed lol.

If i find what seems to be a good deal I make a note in my phone that says the price the calories, protein and other things that i am tracking and of course the product name and go to other stores to see if i can find a better deal.
  • mommyfirst77
    mommyfirst77 Posts: 119
    Options
    I often have this problem because I am feeding 4 kids~ They love fruit and veggies, even salads so I am blessed. BUT, gees it can get exspensive!
  • shebee25
    shebee25 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would love the recipe also.

Thank you,
    shebee25
  • ctprofessional
    ctprofessional Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    awesome ideas!!
  • trubeauty
    trubeauty Posts: 29
    Options
    I see you live in Florida (I'm in GA) So hello fellow southern girl! If you are like me you get bored easy, so buying/eating the same thing will put you off track faster than you can say tuna (which I really don't like, so even if it is cheap, it ain't happening!)

First check out southernsavers.com. This site is awesome, it’s a savings blog that helps you with weekly ads, coupons, and just saving money! She also shows how to make weight watchers recipes using what’s currently on sale. It has truly been a life(money) saver for me. It's focused on the lower southeastern states so it should be helpful.

I shop at Publix (where savings is a pleasure:-) but this tactic can work at almost any grocery store. The best thing to do is to buy what's on sale. So what I do is I get the weekly ad and base my shopping list off that ad. I buy the fruit that’s on sale, meat, fish, deli meat, yogurt etc. Every category (cereal, dessert, snacks, etc.) will be on sale every week, just different items. That way you don't get bored and can often expand your culinary taste! For example this week Nabisco 100 calorie packs on B1G1, next week it may be Sunshine’s 100 cal packs. Or this week Fresh Experess salad blends are on sale next week maybe it's Dole, etc. Buy 1 Get 1 sales are the best. You save so much money and get twice as much food! I do coupon, but I am not extreme, I just get the Sunday paper and use the coupons (I learn how to from southernsavers). But if you don't want to coupon it's still saving you money. Also it’s not as time consuming. With this approach I go to the store once a week spend about $60-70/week for my husband and I, and we always have good food in the house.

For the things that rarely do come on sale, stock up when they do! Have an extra $10 in your budget for those items each week so you can buy enough to hold you over till they get on sale again:-) Also even if what you want isn’t on sale (or never is, like my soy milk) the money that you save with the rest of your groceries should help off set the price. But trust me, almost everything goes on sale! Plus even Whole Foods have sales and coupons!

Hope this helps! :-)
  • ctprofessional
    Options
    so many great ideas! Yes, I wish I could eat sandwiches every day and not stray!!! I have a friend that ate fresh veggies and sandwiches and went from a 12 to a 2 in a year. I tried and got so bored!!! I love some of these ideas, makes me feel good to see others out there going through what I am(my hubby can eat anything, while i gain weight just by looking at food)
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Canned vegetables like beans, etc. Coupons of course.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Bulk bins! If you've got a Whole Foods nearby these are awesome. I get all of my steel cut oats, quinoa, flour, lentils, etc., from the bulk bins and save a lot of money that way - and the environment will thank you. Also, if you like to cook and use spices (which will help you create more variety with your diet, too), use the spice bulk bins (the amount of money you save doing this is ridiculous - I've saved $30+ in single trips to the store this way) or buy online.

If you like using fresh herbs, which is an easy way to make your home-cooked meals taste better and more "special," try growing an herb garden. I have a big whisky-barrel planter right outside my apartment door and have 2 kinds of basil, 2 kinds of tarragon, oregano, mint, lemon balm, and chives growing in it. Most stores charge $2+ per bunch of herbs, so an herb garden is like the gift that keeps giving.

Eggs are cheap protein. Chicken is cheaper and will go a lot further if you roast them whole and save the carcasses to make stock (homemade stock tastes better anyway, and I just make big batches once a month or so - save your chicken bones in the freezer). You can use the stock to cook lentils or make soups/stews.

I agree with the posters who have mentioned waste as an issue. One thing I've done is ask my grandmothers what they do to save money - Great Depression survivors know how to do this REALLY well. One of my grandmothers keeps a soup jar in the fridge - she throws all kinds of leftovers in there (veggies, proteins) and then when it's full she makes soup with the contents.
  • ctprofessional
    Options
    Im loving all these ideas! Alot of these things im already doing, but again, it is great to know I'm not alone!