Protein shake help.

Options
I have a hard time hitting my protein intake daily. Pretty much never hit it. Usually 20-30 grams short. But I here a good amount of protein helps with weight loss and muscle growth. I do some calisthetics for a workout. Would it be beneficial for me to add a protein shake to my day? What protein powder to use that taste good. Im stuck between getting something from quest nutrition or getting a tub of bsn syntha-6 isolate. Any help would be great.

Replies

• BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I really like the Quest protein powders. They usually have about 100 calories per scoop and are based on whey, I believe. If you go to a supplement store, they usually carry individual packets of them so you can try them before committing to a big canister.

You can also bake with them--make protein pancakes etc.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I like Allmax Isoflex Chocolate Peanut butter and Nubreed Cinnamon French Toast if you want something different. ISO 100 is pretty good, I've had Birthday Cake and their Cinnamon Bun, both good. The Cake one is pretty sweet though.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I love having protein powder around to help me reach my protein macros. Sometimes I can make it without but I'm usually pretty lazy.

I have a shake after workout or in the afternoon. I cannot stomach shakes at night (I've seriously upchucked it) so I will make a protein mug cake. Win-win. Lol.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yes...protein mug cakes are the best! II make a sort of brownie, 1 scoop of Whey, 5g Cocoa, 5G Baking powder, mix to a brownie mix consistency, microwave for about 30 seconds, all done!. I have it 3-4 times a week, add some chocolate chips or peanut butter chips and a little whipped cream, really takes care of my sweet tooth!
  • mitsvbishi
    mitsvbishi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Anyone have experience with synthia-6 isolate
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you want muscle growth, here is what you must do.

1. Consume 1 gram per pound of your body weight in protein each day.
    2. Do a progressive heavy lifting program. This has to be a deliberate, structured program. There are many, and stronglifts 5x5 is easily understood. Google the term "stronglifts 5x5".

It's easier to grow muscle in a calorie surplus, but if you want to do it in a calorie deficit you must keep your deficit no greater than 500 each day, and the muscle growth possible in a deficit is about half what's possible in a surplus.

You don't have to use a protein powder, but that makes it easy to get big chunks of protein. You could get a flavorless protein and sprinkle little bits of it on all your food, rather than trying to find the good taste you crave.
  • mitsvbishi
    mitsvbishi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you want muscle growth, here is what you must do.

1. Consume 1 gram per pound of your body weight in protein each day.
    2. Do a progressive heavy lifting program. This has to be a deliberate, structured program. There are many, and stronglifts 5x5 is easily understood. Google the term "stronglifts 5x5".

It's easier to grow muscle in a calorie surplus, but if you want to do it in a calorie deficit you must keep your deficit no greater than 500 each day, and the muscle growth possible in a deficit is about half what's possible in a surplus.

You don't have to use a protein powder, but that makes it easy to get big chunks of protein. You could get a flavorless protein and sprinkle little bits of it on all your food, rather than trying to find the good taste you crave.

I still have weight to lose though. I got a belly to get rid of I just want to limit muscle loss while doing so but I also read keeping a high protein intake will help lose weight. I don't know if I could intake 182 gram protein anyways lol.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    muscle growth in a deficit is hard,for anyone no matter how much protein. unless you are recomping which takes time,I also dont think a 500 calorie deficit(1lb a week) loss would result in much muscle buidling.
  • Jen2133
    Jen2133 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I tried a sample of the Syntha-6 and liked the taste of the vanilla flavour. If I recall, the calories are a bit higher and it has more carbohydrate than most other brands (Canadian version), which might not fit your goals. Look closely at the nutrition facts and ask for a sample if possible.