Run Forrest Run

Options
I've been running for about a year now and have gone from not being able to run at all (for more than 20 seconds - at a very hefty weight too) to being able to run 5k comfortably (and sometimes not so comfortably at a not so hefty weight) - three times a week.

I thought I would create this thread to see if anyone is in a similar situation where they want to challenge themselves, keep motivated and seriously up their running game.

Help and tips welcome, and general running chit chat too. Would be great to hear from experiences runners and beginners :-)

Let's motivate each other!

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Great job on the progress. :)

What are your running/fitness goals?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've been running for nearly 3 years... my second half marathon is in a couple of weeks!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Now that you can run a 5K comfortable, it's time to register and run a 5K race. Find one in your area about 8 weeks out, register and train for that. Having a race coming up is one way I keep my determination up. Motivation has nothing to do with it. It is all determination.
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't compete any more, but the thing that keeps me running are the things that I see. I love running on mountain trails. It seems like there is always something new around each corner. When I travel I always plan a monster run around the city I am visiting. It just gives me a very personal feeling for that town. You spend a lot more time noticing details of the city and of the people.
  • FelinaDC
    FelinaDC Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes! I did things backwards I signed up for a 5k on Thanksgiving morning last year had zero experience running and finished it just barely at 47+ mins. I decided sign up for another one and trained using c25k and finished that one at 40 mins. I spontaneously signed up for a third 5k recently and completed it at 35:50! I was shocked that I could improve so much in just 5 months but sticking with it (even when you have bad runs) works.

I completed the c25k entirely on the treadmill but have since taken things outside and really much prefer running on trails and even around my neighborhood. The treadmill is okay when the weather isn't cooperating but I find I move slower and my workouts are harder to complete.

I've downloaded the c210k app and completed week 9 and 10... hoping to getting around to week 11 soon (1h run...eek!)
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K on Good Friday. I completed my fourth 5K run (park track) since then. I'm trying to sign up for a May 13th 5K. I've also downloaded the c210k app and will begin week 9 next Monday.

I'm afraid the running bug has bitten me! :D
  • rgl536
    rgl536 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started running about a year ago at 53. When I started I couldn't run more than 15-20 seconds at a time

But I slowly worked up to a couple 5K runs last summer. 1st one was just a hair under 40 minutes and now I am signed up for at least one a month with a PR a couple weeks ago at 27:12. Signed up for a 10k in June and am planning a half by the end of the year.

I have no illusions of winning one of these but I keep competing with myself.

As long as you enjoy it as I have found that I really do, just keep going and have fun.
  • molepigeon
    molepigeon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've just booked a half marathon for September.... My first one! I've done 10ks previously but not for over a year. I've been running 2- 3 times a week for the past few months varying 2- 5 miles so I think I should be ok. Just need to start gradually increasing a long run once a week! Am looking at training plans now.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about a year now and have gone from not being able to run at all (for more than 20 seconds - at a very hefty weight too) to being able to run 5k comfortably (and sometimes not so comfortably at a not so hefty weight) - three times a week.

I thought I would create this thread to see if anyone is in a similar situation where they want to challenge themselves, keep motivated and seriously up their running game.

Help and tips welcome, and general running chit chat too. Would be great to hear from experiences runners and beginners :-)

Let's motivate each other!

There is a group in the Challenges sub-forum called "Monthly Running Challenge". It is for runners of all levels and is a great place to hang out and talk about running. Lots of good info there and a great place to learn all you need to know about running. You may want to check it out.