the thought of food lately turns my stomach, has this happened to anyone else?

Options
hi all! For the past few weeks Ive really been struggling with eating anything. I force myself to eat, whereas just a few months ago, I couldn't stop eating! Its anything from the opening of our fridge, to my husband cooking something , I can even smell the oil on french fries, it just turns my stomach and I end up nauseous all day long with no desire to eat anything. I went to my doctor, she tested for pregnancy , and my test came back negative. She suggested it might be a side effect of one of my medications. I am on Apri, Metformin and Wellbutrin. Im confused though, because this is a new thing and Ive been on these medications for over a year. She just chalked it up for me to talk with a nutritionist.

Has anyone else experienced this??

Replies

• ImKaren768
    ImKaren768 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you been on Metformin long? It made me really sick. Nausea, diarrhea and just plain belly pain. You might consider asking your Dr about Metformin ER (extended release). It was much easier on my tummy!
  • PauseCollectReset
    PauseCollectReset Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ive been on metformin for probably close to 5 years. I have been struggling with this periodically, but it has gotten worse over the past three weeks id say?
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    How low are your carbs? When I go very low carb this happens to me.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Ive been on metformin for probably close to 5 years. I have been struggling with this periodically, but it has gotten worse over the past three weeks id say?

It's possible for your body to change how it reacts to medications.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I get bouts of food aversions sometimes, but it's only specific foods. There was a span of 3 months I couldn't even smell vanilla protein powder without gagging or think about any acidic foods. I think it was due to mucous in my stomach from a cold and it mentally caused me to hate foods I had eaten the day I got sick. The mind is a powerful thing I guess.
  • PauseCollectReset
    PauseCollectReset Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hmm Im not sure, Idont know if your body can change how it reacts to a medication. I always assumed if the body was used to it and it was in your system I would become tolerant of it. But Im not a doctor....so I wouldn't know. Its not really so much that my carbs are low or my excersice is too intense. Its just literally smelling anything, or wating anything. I cant stomach the thought of actually putting food into my mouth. It has been really disturbing.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Well, if it's not the medication or pregnancy, or anything else medical, have you looked into eating disorders?
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every once in a while. I don't want to eat anything, or when I'm hungry anything I eat makes me feel sick either during or after eating. This lasts a few weeks then it's gone. Try eating something I like Oranges. I don't know why this happens.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    it could be caused by a physical or mental factor. i say mental because this happens to me when i'm depressed, so it could be within perception and mindset?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I agree with Treece, try oranges or any other fruit you may fancy. Rice or toast may also be mor appetizing depending if you want soft or crisp. Fruit pie always worked for me to bring back appetite. Been there and it is indeed a weird place to be. Best wishes.