Embarrassed to start C25K

Options
I am currently in worse shape of my life but committed to getting healthier for my kids. My 8 year old son really enjoys running and I would love to foster that habit. I always hated running, mostly because I am super slow and apparently ran rather oddly to the point everyone would make a joke. I can get over that. Problem is I barely can make it up 2 flights of steps without getting winded, thus nervous I will look like a complete idiot and won't keep up with him.

Here, is my plan. I have a very nice elliptical that I haven't touched in 3 years. Plan is start with that for like a month, mimicking the C25K program, then start outside at the park with my son. Thoughts? What incline or resistance should I use?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I started from zero too. Another poster here recently devised a "bed to couch" program to get herself ready for the C25K. My running program said I would be ready once I could run for one minute.

So I suggest you start slower than slow. Like a walking pace.

Week 1:
    10 mins warm up
    1 min faster pace
    1 min walk
    Repeat until you get to thirty minutes

Week 2:
    10 mins warm up
    2 min faster pace
    1 min walk
    Repeat until you get to thirty minutes

Take every other day off and no more than three days a week.

Get your gait checked at a running store and get the right shoes. Find out if you are pronating or if you have flat feet.

If your son is running faster than you he can double back.

My daughter and I can't run side by side because we have different speeds. It's all OK. We still talk running stuff.
  • psychedmom
    psychedmom Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice. My son was excited with the idea when I proposed it. He has had more runs with my 65 year old father-in-law than me. Time to change that!
  • dmmfox
    dmmfox Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When you feel ready for outdoors I'd suggest finding a fenced in running track. I bring my daughter to one so we can run together but at our own speeds. I like it cuz she's never more than half a lap away from me if anything should happen.
  • psychedmom
    Options
    dmmfox wrote: »
    When you feel ready for outdoors I'd suggest finding a fenced in running track. I bring my daughter to one so we can run together but at our own speeds. I like it cuz she's never more than half a lap away from me if anything should happen.

We have a park 1 block from my house with huge field and running track, along with a playground. So I think we're good on that.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    You can walk every day, if you want. Walking is a great way to get in shape and will make the transition to running easier. The elliptical doesn't stress the joints, which is good, but it also doesn't prepare them for the impact of running. Walking outside is better prep for running. You might do alternate days on the elliptical and outside.

As stated above, start by walking at a comfortable pace. When you can do that for 30-45 minutes without getting winded, start walking faster. When you can do that easily, start throwing in short easy jogs for a minute or so. Gradually increase the time you spend running and decrease the time spent walking. At a park you can go from tree to tree. In the neighborhood, mailbox to mailbox or telephone pole to telephone pole. Stick with 30-35 minutes or so until you can run continuously at a slow pace for 30 minutes.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I started running when I weighed 215 pounds. I was really, really slow. Now I weigh 96 pounds less and am less slow. People who make fun of those who are exercising are jerks, plain and simple. You do not look like an idiot, no matter how fast or slow you are. You look like a runner.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i'd suggest using walking to up your fitness over the elliptical.

when you do start running, run slow!
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    when you do start running, run slow!

I think that this piece of advice is invaluable. My son (13 yo) and I started C25K on Saturday and have completed just two workouts so far but the "run slow" thing helps hugely. My son thinks it's funny as I am going so slowly - at one point he was walking faster than I was running - but it helped me get through that minute of running. Especially on the first day. I am sure that I could have gone faster but then I wouldn't have finished the workout. The second workout was a lot easier - because I knew what to expect maybe?

We run on the streets/in the park. As he's faster than me, I've told my son to go at his own pace and to double back to me but he chooses to go at my pace instead.

We're enjoying it. I was worried about starting it as well but nobody takes any notice of this older woman and her son plodding along and getting out of breath!

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    you've got great advice above, just another thing - your gait when you are running will be different than when you walk. The most important thing when running is to keep your steps short - so that your foot lands beneath your body, not stretched out in front of you. Try and lean forward at the ankles and not the hips, and try and maintain a straight line from head to foot - so you may need to tuck your head back and tuck your pelvis forward.

I did a couple of sessions with an Alexander technique teacher, and one thing we tired was she would put elastic around my hips and restrain me whilst I ran in place - this got my hips to the right place (tucked forward and allowing the legs to run relaxed and open). When she let go I felt light as a feather.

Getting whole body form right is well worth practising - if you run 'funny' it could lead to injury. Having said that, there is NOTHING like running like a child, down a mountain, waving your arms like an aeroplane (insert appropriate Wheeeeee!!!!) sound too)

good luck - you'll do great!
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    psychedmom wrote: »
    apparently ran rather oddly to the point everyone would make a joke

I feel this. I've been told numerous times that I run *weirdly*
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Try walking outside first that way when you transition to couch25k which has a combination of walking and running you will be in the habit of walking outside and walking is a good precursor to running
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Do you have a running club or running coach in your area? You could always start there to get the correct form if you think you're a bit off. It will go a lot easier if you get the correct form down.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Using your elliptical is an excellent way to up your fitness before you start the C25K outdoors but as others have said I'd advise walking outside too to build up. The elliptical is very low impact and so great if youre overweight but it won't prepare your joints for what running on a road feels like. Walking outside and building up from that will. Running is hard. Your first few runs will probably feel awful (I know mine did!) but stick with it, you'll soon learn to love it and will be able to keep going long after your kid has got bored.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hey there, the NHS website has a a lot of ideas and advice on the couch to 5k, here's the link: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx# I wish you all the best, I am trying to get the confidence to start jogging outside... it may seem daunting but 4 months ago I could not even leave my house without panic attacks due to anxiety but now not only do I leave I go for long walks also, little steps are the best advice I can offer, good luck, you can do it :)
  • psychedmom
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Make sure you can walk for 30 minutes before starting the program. You want to make sure your joints can handle it before the added impact of running. I did the C25K on my treadmill starting at 275 lbs. Got through it and am trying to run a 5K every week (Park Run). It's a great program.
  • mznik114
    mznik114 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    C25K is such a wonderful program. I did it last year and this year I did it again and will run my first 5K this weekend! I'm a slow runner (pace 13:40/mi) but I love it. Good luck and start slow. You can repeat weeks if you need to.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am a slow runner also; don't let others get you down. I do recommend 5K as a good starting race length. Often your local park district will have family-friendly 5Ks that you can run with your kid!

Also, I found that running at a local track was a great way to do the C25K specifically because you can slowly increase how much you are running in a more measurable way. I would run a lap, walk a lap, then run 2 walk 1, etc.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Being able to walk 5K comfortably is a good starting point before using C25K. And definitely run slowly - speed comes later as you increase your distance. I could very literally walk faster than my run when I started the program. Then I worked up to a 12 minute mile a few months after I finished C25K. Not fast, but totally fine!

Also, get used to stretching, get good shoes, and maybe add some body weight exercises to build up your thigh/butt/core muscles while you're in the walking/elliptical phase to prevent injury when you switch to running. (http://www.runnersworld.com/start-running/the-six-best-exercises-for-new-runners)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have a plan. A park nearby with a running/walking track. Two family members, a son and Father-in-Law with whom to share. Around that track, everyone can go at their own pace, (yours being MUCH slower than the others) and still get to meet up every so often on your laps. After a while you'll start to speed up, without even noticing. Once you can walk for 30 minutes or so, start a Couch to ? program. Amazon has personal running trainer which has 4 weeks to a mile. It's a lot like c25k but gets you to a mile where 8 weeks to 5K begins. And from there it's on to wherever you want to go. Enjoy the walk and run.