Feeling a failure

Options
So planning first full week calorie counting after failed half attempts over last few days. I just feel so hungry today any tips. Hsbing 1200 cal a day and plan gym 3/4 days a week needing 18/20 lb off by end June.

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? height/weight/activity level/age
  • partyqueen1234
    partyqueen1234 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Am 5.4 weight 15.7 stone walk about 4.7 miles a day along either 30 min work put 3 times a week
  • skellymama1
    skellymama1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would be miserable and unable to stick to any plan at 1200 cals. You could easily up it and still lose. The bottom line is if you are eating too little you just won't stay on track so its not sustainable. Think long term, you could eat 1500 cals, work out and still lose.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Am 5.4 weight 15.7 stone walk about 4.7 miles a day along either 30 min work put 3 times a week

you don't need to eat so little given your stats.

up your calories and you've got much more chance of sticking to it
  • partyqueen1234
    Options
    I am wanting to lose 2lb a week though and no idea how work out what I should eat to allow this
  • skellymama1
    skellymama1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Did you put your stats into mfp?
    Either you want to lose 2lb a week and not be able to sustain your plan OR you want to eat well, enjoy your food and exercise and let the weight come off as it happens. Some weeks you lose 2lb some weeks more some weeks less and some weeks none.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I am wanting to lose 2lb a week though and no idea how work out what I should eat to allow this

then you put up with being hungry and tired and miserable...
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    zzzaaaktly!

then you put up with being hungry and tired and miserable...
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

you don't need to eat so little given your stats.

up your calories and you've got much more chance of sticking to it

^^^^ This

You didn't give us your age, so I plugged in 30 into a TDEE calculator. With your activity level, I can almost guarantee you that 1200 calories is too aggressive. That probably be the number MFP spits out for you if you entered sedentary. If you did that, you absolutely should be eating at least a portion of your exercise back.

You could probably eat 1600+ and still have your 1000 cal deficit for 2 pounds/week.

If I was miserable at 1600, I would certainly consider going up from there.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm on 1200 and it can be a struggle. I go over sometimes but those days it's like 1400. I've lost 11lb so far and still going. I eat back my exercise calories.

Is your diary open? You've got to find a way that fits your life. I like being able to eat a big tea so have a tiny breakfast, small lunch and "normal" tea.

Thing with logging food and planning meals is it gets me thinking about food more which makes me hungry!
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I believe mindset is an important part of being able to lose weight. If you go a little off the rails, don't beat yourself up. Try and figure out what went wrong and then keep this in mind as you begin a new fresh day. Being positive will really help.

A 1200 calorie goal is not for everyone, but it is possible, especially if you are shorter or not working out a lot, to eat and be satisfied on 1200 calories. I find it depends on what kind of foods you are filling those calories with. If you are eating a lot of heavy calorie carb packaged foods, then yes, it would be hard to be satisfied with only 1200.

I find I am able to eat a balanced diet on 1200 calories by including a lot of vegetables and fruit, plus more limited meat and dairy products. I also plan in an occasional glass of wine and a daily snack of a dark chocolate cookie that I like. Between that and the water, I am pretty satisfied. I plan ahead, so I know what I can have and still make my goal. I also shift some of the food around in the day. For example, my cookie treat might be a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack one day or dessert on another. What makes a big difference for me is that I try to find a variety of low-calorie recipes so I am not always eating the same thing.

If you increase your exercise, you can start with 1200 calories and earn additional ones through your walking or workouts.

We are each different and what works for one of us may not work for someone else. It takes a while to figure out what will work for you. Good luck with your journey!
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've checked and your stuff is all private, open up your diary and we can maybe see some patterns of where you're tripping up.

As others have said, this has to be sustainable or else you'll crash and burn.

You say you plan to exercise - have you started yet?
  • partyqueen1234
    Options
    I am 31. I just don't know if it's just my body getting used to it. My bar is 1776 so really I should be eating slot less to lose weight should I not totally new yo it all
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I am 31. I just don't know if it's just my body getting used to it. My bar is 1776 so really I should be eating slot less to lose weight should I not totally new yo it all

the what now?
  • partyqueen1234
    Options
    Sorry I checked my bmr and said it should be 1776 does that mean I eat that or alot less to lose weight. Am just new and looking for advice. I also opened up my diary now thsnkyou x
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Do you mean your BMR? That is the cals you burn for basic organ function your TDEE is what your calories are to maintain your weight even at sedentary and the figure you need to reduce to lose. You should not really be eating too much under your BMR. I doubt your TDEE is 1776 thats roughly the same as mine at sedentary and I'm 5 stone lighter. xxx
  • partyqueen1234
    Options
    Hi so I put in my height 5.4 weight 15.10 stone age 31 abd it said 1776 I honestly don't know how to work out what I should be eating a day to lose 2lb a week. Can you help me please
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Okay doing a quick calculation suggests your TDEE is 2100 sedentary or doing the amount of exercise you say (3 times a week plus walking) it will be 2700, you could eat 1700 and lose 2 pounds a week (1000 cal a day deficit). 1200 is way too aggressive please try higher and see how you go. x
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I think by bar the OP means BMR?

Right, OP. Here's the thing: Your BMR isn't actually the amount of calories you're burning in a day. It's the amount of calories you'd use up in a day if you literally laid in bed the whole day long. Your Basal Metabolic Rate is just that- the absolute baseline of calories that your body needs to keep you breathing in and out, your blood pumping around your body, and your organs doing the things they do. Including, by the way, your brain!

You're actually gonna be using up a bunch more calories than your BMR. There's the BMR as your baseline. Then your walking- that's a little over 100 calories per mile at your weight, so let's call it an extra 450 cals if you're walking 4.5 miles per day. That has us up to 2226 cals/day. Then you've got your gym workouts- what you'll burn there depends on your workout of course, but my estimating rule of thumb is about 100cals per 10 mins of cardio. So if you're doing 30 mins of cardio 4 times a week, that's another 1200 cals/week- let's make that 150 cals extra per day. Throw in an extra few calories which you'll burn up literally walking around the house

So that's a very-rough TDEE (Total Energy Expenditure- all the calories your body burns in a day between activities and just keeping your body going) of around 2500 calories per day. More or less. Ish. But it's a good place to start.

Now. You want to lose 2 pounds a week, right? That's a deficit of about 1000 calories per day. So to lose that, you can eat 1500 cals/day. That's 300 more than the 1200 you had planned for yourself!

And here's the thing: eating those extra 300 calories is good for you, and it'll help you to lose weight in the long run! Why? A couple reasons. First, it's really not recommended to go for a deficit of more than a couple of pounds a week unless you have a serious medical reason to or your starting weight is way higher than yours is. There's a few reasons for that! For one thing, if you use a really aggressive deficit your body will just start eating itself. Not just the fat. The muscles too- and if you don't have those muscles you'll just end up feeling weak with flabby skin and not looking great at all. But also, you're gonna feel awful on the way there. I'm talking exhaustion, moodiness, huge food cravings, sluggish mind (your brain uses a BUNCH of calories to keep you thinking!). You'll end up having less energy to put into those workouts so you won't end up getting the benefit of them. Your concentration will be shot 'cause your body will ramp up those food cravings till you can think of nothing else, and it'll be really difficult to keep control when there is food around you.

None of that is good!

So here's what I'd recommend: ramp your way down. Spend a couple weeks on a 500 cal deficit (eating 2000 calories per day) and see how you do. See what kinds of foods fill you up more for less calories- you'll need to know that when you increase your deficit. Get used to tracking. See how much you lose, so you know if your TDEE estimates were any good. Then ramp your way down. Do a week on a 750 cal deficit (that's 1750 calories/day). See how well you tolerate it. Then, if you're okay to ramp up to the aggressive deficit of 1500? Go for it. Your body will be more used to existing on less and you won't be shocking your system by going from surplus straight to aggressive deficit. And you'll have a few weeks of learning what works for you behind you.

Best of luck!