Metaformin?

Options
cherilee0831
cherilee0831 Posts: 44 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone ever taken Metformin for prediabetes? My sugar level was in the max end of normal so my doctor told me to try it for a month. I have never been on a prescription med for anything (except an antibiotic) so I am wondering if there are any side effects I should be aware of. We both think I can lower my levels via my diet...eventually.

Replies

• happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Start slow and ease your way up to the max dose your Dr prescribed. Avoid high sugar items as the side effects are less than desirable. My stomach couldn't handle the metformin so I'm on the extended release version now and I tolerate that well. I hope the medication helps you
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've taken metformin for diabetes before. Full blown type 2 diabetes. I now control it with only diet and exercise.

The most common side effect is stomach cramping, diarrhea and nausea. Supposedly that improves over time, starting with low doses (500 mg). It's a common first line treatment and it's taken by a lot of people.

• lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    While everyone is different, usually the digestive system will adjust to Metformin within a month or two. I have trouble with high fat foods still, so avoid things like greasy pizza.
  • ashluv2sing
    ashluv2sing Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    took me a couple of weeks for my stomach to get used to it. I am on it for PCOS/insulin resistance.
  • 24clouds
    24clouds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I too was on it for pcos/insulin resistance. I was on it for 9 years. I hate the stuff. You can't eat high sugar or grease. I had to stop eating lamb beef muscles anything rich. U get use to it and can stomach more as u build up tollerence but the minute u forget a dose u got to build up again. I was told 6 500s a day but I only ever could cope with 4. It really is a horrible med. the cramps were equal to contractions. Ive had two babies with no pain relief. Don't take it if u can avoid and change diet x
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I was on it for about two years, but got to stop it because my numbers came back to normal levels and have been for the past 4 years. I was on it for insulin resistance/PCOS.

The biggest side effect for me was digestive issues. It lasted about a month and after that I still had to be careful with what I ate.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Has anyone ever taken Metformin for prediabetes? My sugar level was in the max end of normal so my doctor told me to try it for a month. I have never been on a prescription med for anything (except an antibiotic) so I am wondering if there are any side effects I should be aware of. We both think I can lower my levels via my diet...eventually.

I took it for 3 weeks and had to stop because it was causing problems with my kidneys. If you DO decide to try it, gradually increase your dosage because it can cause diarrhea and intestinal cramps.

My doctor put me on glipizide instead (potential liver issues instead of kidney issues) but with diet and exercise my hgA1C dropped from 7.3 to 5.4 in 6 months and I was off all meds. I have been able to maintain my A1C between 5.0 and 5.3 ever since with no medication.

Maybe a compromise? Go 3 months with diet and exercise and if your number hasn't dropped THEN go on the meds? This is a decision between you and your doctor.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I took it for a year and at first was fine. Then it started to bother my stomach a lot and my doc switched me to glipizide.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I took it for a year or so until my weight dropped and not longer need it. I was advised to start with half a pill a day with dinner and worked up to one pill. It can cause intestinal issues (diarrhea) if you start with too much. After the initial beginning I had no problem with it.
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    Options
    take with food can be hard on the stomach .but i had no problems till the just before i was removed from it and controlled by diet then i started taking sugar lows.
  • GrinnyMae
    GrinnyMae Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for PCOS since 2004. At the beginning, I did have some loose stools and stomach upset. I adapted to it pretty quickly. I take it with food and that helps. I haven't had any real problem with it. As others have said, it is generally best to start with a low dose and increase over the course of a few weeks. I take 2000 mg a day. Two pills in the morning and two at night.
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I took it for about 8 months before controlling my diabetes with diet and exercise. The first two weeks were tough. Terrible stomach aches... then all the gastro side effects went away. I was on the extended release the entire time.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    4 years ago I was prediabetic. Type 2 runs in my family - my Dad passed away last year after 25 years of diabetes related poor health. My Dr wanted to put me on Metaformin. I said no and went low carb instead. I have blood tests every 6 months and have reversed my diagnosis and have no sign of any blood sugar issues.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

A LCHF diet can start lowering BG in a matter of days. BG is high due to glucose from foods (from carbs) or from the liver (at night via gluconeogenesis). If you don't eat a lot of carbs your BG will not be as high.

Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a GREAT LCHF plan for T1Ds and T2Ds. Very effective. Fung's Obesity Code (also involves fasting) has been effective for many people too.

Try the Low Carber Daily MFP forum and you'll find many of us controlling BG through a low carb diet. Many drop insulin, metformin and other meds.
  • loisburch59
    loisburch59 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a couple of years, had a change of Doc, who upped the dose, that is when the problems started. Spent 6 days in hospital for pancreatitis, the worse abdominal cramping. Stopped the meds for 3 months, got better, blood sugar went high, over 300, Doc put me back on it. I told the doctor only as long as I do not have abdominal cramps. We will see.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    DietPrada wrote: »
    4 years ago I was prediabetic. Type 2 runs in my family - my Dad passed away last year after 25 years of diabetes related poor health. My Dr wanted to put me on Metaformin. I said no and went low carb instead. I have blood tests every 6 months and have reversed my diagnosis and have no sign of any blood sugar issues.

Wtg way to go!!!
  • goldengirl111
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I took it for 3 weeks and had to stop because it was causing problems with my kidneys. If you DO decide to try it, gradually increase your dosage because it can cause diarrhea and intestinal cramps.

My doctor put me on glipizide instead (potential liver issues instead of kidney issues) but with diet and exercise my hgA1C dropped from 7.3 to 5.4 in 6 months and I was off all meds. I have been able to maintain my A1C between 5.0 and 5.3 ever since with no medication.

Maybe a compromise? Go 3 months with diet and exercise and if your number hasn't dropped THEN go on the meds? This is a decision between you and your doctor.

How many hours a day do you exercise?
    How many carbs for you eat per day?
  • goldengirl111
    Options
    How many hours a day do you exercise?
    How many carbs for you eat per day?