knee pain - first time ever...

Options
Hi All

Bit of background first, I first joined the gym in Jan 2015 and have done numerous classes todate including spinning, combat, GRIT classes, bodypump, yoga, from November 2016 to March 2016 I had a PT twice a week where I learnt so much about weight training etc.

A few weeks ago I started running again with my husband twice a week (4k each run), I've done running before and never experienced any pain in knees etc, I have the correct running footwear where I was fitted up with them in the Asics shop. I wrote a post the other day about the new LesMills GRIT class I did on Weds, there were so many jumping lunges, squats, getting down on my knees to do pushups (I cant do normal ones) and it was there I felt this mild sharp not painful at all twinge in my left knee cap, I then went on to do the easier moves and was fine. Did my workout yesterday which was a circuit with my friend and kettlebell class. However, a couple of weeks ago I started doing a circuit twice a week with my friend which includes more walking lunges/squats and knee pressups that I've ever done before but not once have I felt any knee pain during these workouts or any other workouts (except the slight twinge in GRIT). Last night I was lay on the bed and my 6yr old son came and sat right on my knees which was an awful sensation, it felt like he had locked my knees, I got him off but when I got up that's when I felt my left knee going...It felt like something wanted to pop/snap in my knee cap, I could walk but the added pressure was making it uncomfortable and last night was awful as each time I moved around in bed my knee felt all twisted! I can still bend my knee fully just fine but when I try and straighten my leg out that's when I feel the discomfort in my knee and its not swollen at all. I'm currently resting it with a few pillows under my leg and its does feel much better than last night.

Although I know some will say to go and see someone, I will do if the problem persists but just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same. I was reading up on "Runners Knee" which said people get if they've over used the knee doing exercises such as lunging, running, squats etc....

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,089 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it is the same kind of injury, but I tore a meniscus a few years ago, even after getting in great shape and working out plenty. The pain was really awful for a while. It is important to see a good physiotherapist (perhaps get a diagnosis first - there are so many things that can happen to knees), and then a trainer who knows how to give you a program to get back on track. For me it was not the knee that was the problem - it was the hip. One side had weaker glutes and that has made ALL the difference since that time. Keeping the glutes in good shape has kept me completely pain free.

Good luck!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I have to be very careful with lunges and squats because I have injured my knees in the past (backpacking in steep terrain with a heavy pack) and it is easy to put too much stress on the knee. You may have been careless with your form (i.e. knee extending beyond the toe or not straight) since you were pushing things doing your circuit training. Or your son may have caused the knee to move in a way that wasn't natural.

Try resting and icing it for a couple of days. Advil should help with any swelling. If that doesn't work, then go to an orthopedist.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    please don't take anything said here as diagnosis, especially from me. but since you asked for experiences, here's mine.

i have definitely borked up the way my knees track, and most typically every time i re-try with c25k. this isn't a diss on the programme, just clearly i don't have all the ducks in a good enough row to send them out jogging even superduperextremely gently and carefully.

the sensation was 'pain' but by no means serious; it was more just that terribly unnatural feeling that my knee wasn't working the way that it should. i was getting some kind of click or catch sensation that was extremely unnerving. i had the meniscus fear too, but my medical process never went past x-rays since it resolved itself with a few weeks of non-jogging.

i'm a person who cycles for 90% of her transportation and does deadlifts and squats, so it was worrying for sure.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Likely tendonitis which can happen with over exercising. When I was stair climbing, kickboxing and squatting twice a week (kickboxing 4 days a week) I started to get tendonitis in my left knee. Scaled back on my stair climbing and trained legs once a week (I had to keep kickboxing because I was the instructor) and it went away. Scale back and see how it goes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kmaf2018
    kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Thanks for your advice and replies, my knee does seem fine now and was started to feel OK on the Friday, I've avoided running/workouts since it happened, I was going to go today but I'll think I'll leave it one more day to be safe.

There was no swelling at all around the knee at any time either.

Kel
  • sarahsweightlossjourney
    Options
    I would get it checked dont mess around with knee pain. It can lead to bigger and lasting problems.