Replies

• ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Over priced not that good of products
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I decided to give their f1 shake a trial as well as some of the snack options. They're a lot tastier than the cheaper ones.

I don't know if the price makes up that difference for me though.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    No discussion to be had!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's a pyramid scheme. You buy the overpriced shakes and before you know it they'll be trying to recruit you.

The same goes for: Forever Living, JuicePlus (because why have fruit and vegetables when you can have the next best thing to, without the healthy fibre), Cambridge Diet Plan, Ariix, etc.

Sold by people with *kitten* all knowledge of nutrition or the human body, obvious if you look at the ridiculous health claims they make.

Forget meal replacement altogether. A nice healthy balanced diet is a) more sustainable and b) healthier.

FWIW: The Great Run, organisers of long distance runs, teamed up with Herbalife as their sponsor. There was a backlash. A BIG backlash. Then this happened: bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-39732151
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    I decided to give their f1 shake a trial as well as some of the snack options. They're a lot tastier than the cheaper ones.

I don't know if the price makes up that difference for me though.

I'd be reading the label given that unhealthy/unnecessary additives make a huge difference to flavour.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Overpriced Con - I just watched an interesting documentary on it over the weekend. They don't even care about the product - only recruiting new suckers to sell it.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Pfsht... This is a 'Nope'!
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    You wouldn't need much fortification as part of a healthy balanced diet. The number of sweeteners in that bar are staggering (Maltitol, Dextrose, Glycerine, oligofructose, sucralose). And the bar may be fortified, but the ingredients are at the end of the list and thus likely miniscule in terms of quantity.

I know I lack in iron, so I take a tablet for that. But a protein bar homemade, without the highly processed ingredients, is surprisingly high in terms of nutrition thanks to naturally occurring minerals in oats, seeds and nuts. All these additives are needless overkill.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't need much fortification as part of a healthy balanced diet. The number of sweeteners in that bar are staggering (Maltitol, Dextrose, Glycerine, oligofructose, sucralose). And the bar may be fortified, but the ingredients are at the end of the list and thus likely miniscule in terms of quantity.

I know I lack in iron, so I take a tablet for that. But a protein bar homemade, without the highly processed ingredients, is surprisingly high in terms of nutrition thanks to naturally occurring minerals in oats, seeds and nuts. All these additives are needless overkill.

Whether or not one "needs" fortified foods, they certainly can be part of a healthy and balanced diet if one decides to use them. For example, I drink a plant milk that is fortified with calcium and vitamin D. It works well for me and my goals.

I wouldn't personally eat that bar above (I think Herbalife is a huge scam), I just don't think it's reasonable to fault a fortified product for having more ingredients than a non-fortified one.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You wouldn't need much fortification as part of a healthy balanced diet.

Unfortunately thats not true.... Mineral nutrient depletion in crops makes it very difficult to really get the amount of nutrients you need in a healthy balanced diet without supplementation.