ZERO motivation to exercise... HELP!

Options
I currently do no exercise. I am so unfit. I get puffed even doing a gentle walk! I'm a size 8-10 so I'm not too worried about my weight but I do worry about my heart and fitness and muscle wastage. Logically I know how beneficial and essential exercise is but I just can't get up and out of the house to do it! I envy fit people. I get asked to join gyms and mum boot camp sessions and walks in the mornings with the girls but I say no to everything! I don't know why! Maybe because I'm a busy working mum and I resent giving up my free time to exercise? Does anyone have any ideas to help motivate me??? PLEASE HELP ME TO GET OFF MY LAZY BUTT! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Either do something fun, that you don't resent doing, buckle up and do it (are you thrilled to go to work every day?), or don't.
  • Queenisis1976
    Queenisis1976 Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @pondee629 Hmmm so I either do it or I don't do it. I know they are my options. But... How do you (and others) motivate yourself? What's your motivation?
  • Queenisis1976
    Queenisis1976 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades - The trouble is I don't find exercise fun. What does everyone else enjoy?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Nordic skiing, riding a bike, swimming in wild lakes, hiking, scrambling, and climbing rock and ice. Obviously some of these depend on the season.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here's what I enjoy for cardio - bouncing on a rebounder (mini trampoline). Also Leslie Sansone and Jessica Smith walking videos. Check YouTube for ideas.

Yoga videos/DVDs - I like hatha yoga at least once a week. Very relaxing. I need to click with an instructor, Sara Ivanhoe is a favorite.

Here's what I don't enjoy - strength training. BUT I do it (Kelly Coffey-Meyer is great). My motivation is I'm old. It's easy to take range of motion, strength, balance, and stamina for granted when you're young. But as we age we lose what we don't use.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    No one is going to be able to help you get off your lazy butt, as you put it. Everyone is busy, so saying you're busy is pretty much a BS answer. If it's just not that important to you, then fine, just admit that to yourself. Don't try to say that you're too busy.

Either you want to enough to make the time/effort, or you don't. It's rarely about motivation and more about determination, with some time management thrown in.
  • ngaydean
    ngaydean Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I invested in a fitbit. I work 70 hour weeks behind a desk for 6 months at a time then I am off for 6 months. I started walking during my breaks just to get some fresh air and see daylight once in awhile. Once I returned home from that assignment, I found myself being a couch potatoe. I am motivated by small progress and instant rewards, so I purchased a Fitbit. I have had it for almost 3 weeks and am now walking 5-7 miles a day. (lol, I started slowly just walking the 250 steps every hour). I felt so much better that I started Yoga and also using the Country Heat dance exercise video. Yoga is kicking my but,lol. The dance video is fun! BTW I am 60 years old
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    I currently do no exercise. I am so unfit. I get puffed even doing a gentle walk! I'm a size 8-10 so I'm not too worried about my weight but I do worry about my heart and fitness and muscle wastage. Logically I know how beneficial and essential exercise is but I just can't get up and out of the house to do it! I envy fit people. I get asked to join gyms and mum boot camp sessions and walks in the mornings with the girls but I say no to everything! I don't know why! Maybe because I'm a busy working mum and I resent giving up my free time to exercise? Does anyone have any ideas to help motivate me??? PLEASE HELP ME TO GET OFF MY LAZY BUTT! Thanks in advance.

Then what do you do with your free time now? For me, it's the complete opposite: my workout time is ME time. It is looked forward to and is essential to my health and happiness.

"What's your motivation? " - Feeling good and doing what I enjoy. What DO you enjoy doing? Start experimenting and trying new things. How old are your kids? Can you do activities with them? That would be helpful to all of you.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    There's not really anything anyone can tell you that will change this. If you don't want to do something your not going to. I don't always feel like working out but I get up and do it. -It does help if you can find an activity you enjoy, you more likely to stick with it. There are sooooo many activities out there, walking, zumba, basketball, crossfit, swimming, skiing, lifting, dancing, HIIT, and my personal favorite -volleyball. It can also help if you find a friend with the same goals. ***However, until you start saying yes and trying new things to figure out the right fit for you, it's just not going to happen.

Try something new today - even if it's just 15 minutes.
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER been active- EVER!! Here I am 37 years old and just now within the last month started doing any physical exercise. I wish I could be one that is just motivated to do things but I'm one that has to be forced.

One thing I find helps is the fitbit, for me its embarrassing to be part of a workweek step challenge and be at the bottom half of the chart. Especially because most on there are my coworkers.

Second, I go on walks with a friend 4-5 days a week. When i'm thinking of cancelling or vice versa we force the other one to go. I never regret a workout

Third when I go to the gym I do the classes , get there early and pick a front spot by the instructor. Then I feel obligated to stay the whole 1 hour class. I'd be mortified if I had to face her as I was walking out (quitting the class) as well as the 30+ people behind me . So I'm forced to finish the class. If I get on the treadmill or anything else and get bored/tired/start coming up with BS after like 10 mins im liable to get off and go home.

**I will say though in the last 5 weeks since I've been doing this i'm actually starting to enjoy physical exercise, maybe even crave it a little bit. I cant believe i'm saying this!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @pondee629 Hmmm so I either do it or I don't do it. I know they are my options. But... How do you (and others) motivate yourself? What's your motivation?

My goals.

I'm typing this from my exercise bike....
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm motivated to exercise because it's my zen time when I don't pay attention to anyone else or anything else that needs to get done. I like fitness, and I like seeing the changes it's made in my body over the years.

I used to hate even the thought of it, though - when I was very unfit. In that case, knowing that it was something that would benefit my health and well-being was the only motivation I could scrounge up. You don't have to go crazy with it. Start with 20-30 minutes a few times a week, and build from there if you want. Do some light walking and some bodyweight exercises. Or take a dance class, or cycling, etc. Just find something you don't totally hate and commit to it for a small amount of time -- after a little while, you might find that you even look forward to it.

If you still hate it, pick something else, and try again. Find something you enjoy. It's a tiny time commitment and a huge investment in your health.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    One other point to add, because it may not be clear to all.

There is a difference between wanting to DO something, and wanting to BE something. We all want to BE fit, lean, etc etc. Not all of us want to watch what we eat, work out, etc etc. Bridging that gap can be really hard.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Motivation is fleeting, determination is forever.

I do it for: General all round fitness; the few/several "races" I enter; the fact that the loss of those twenty pounds or so make me feel a whole lot better; (I like feeling better); the comments "Hey, you've lost weight and look good"; being able to run a Half Marathon in 2:17:10 at the age of 61 (something to said for bragging rights). All help me do what needs to be done.

Finally, it isn't motivation. It's determination. If you're looking for motivation. you will be waiting forever. Determine to improve your physical fitness and do it. I do it because I want to. I want to because it makes me feel better. I like feeling better, therefore I do it. Don't necessarily want to do it when I'm scheduled, but I go anyway. A lot like going to work every day, doing the laundry, fixing dinner and cleaning up afterward. Not "motivated" to do any of these things, but they get done. It helps to find something you like. If you find that you don't like ANY exercise find the least objectionable and do that. Who doesn't like a walk in the park?

Don't look outside for "motivation" look inside for determination. Or stay on the couch. your choice. We all get the bodies we want. You either want to do what is necessary, or you don't.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I never used to enjoy exercise. When I first joined mfp I started working out 3 x a week, because I knew I should... as I got fitter and stronger and I saw the results I started to not mind it. I set myself calorie burning goals, did challenges etc to make it fun.

Then I did insanity, loved it, started running, loved it, did p90x3, loved it...

Now I am training for my second half marathon and work out at least 5 x a week.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Your motivation is the parts in bold. If that doesn't motivate you, there's nothing I can say to better motivate you. Spend some time with people suffering from heart or lung disease if you need more motivation, that will bring home reality.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I just can't get up and out of the house to do it.
    So exercise at home. Use something like Fitness Blender or other videos.
    Maybe because I'm a busy working mum and I resent giving up my free time to exercise?
    Depending on how old your kids are, put them in the stroller and take them for a walk, or go push them on the swings at the park, or go run around outside with them, or take a dance/Zumba/yoga class with them, whatever. Turn it into family bonding time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades - The trouble is I don't find exercise fun. What does everyone else enjoy?

I enjoy lifting and run an upper/lower routine four days a week and mix in some light walking/cardio on off days..

find something you enjoy and do it...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    my motivation is to not go back to being fat,liking how I can now breathe better,being in better health and being around for my family. also I notice Im less sick when Im active compared to when I was sedentary. so thats a plus