Plateau

I have reached a plateau and need some advice/help. I have lost 47 lbs but can't seem to get below 246 lbs. I started losing weight last July. I'm starting to get down about my weight loss and just need some encouragement. Any positive words or help would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart%20a_zpsot9kdvnv.jpg
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    How long have you been stuck at this weight?
  • derbychik03
    derbychik03 Posts: 8 Member
    About 6-8 weeks
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Have you adjusted your calories since the weight loss?
  • derbychik03
    I do log everything even though there are days I've gone over my calories but I do not weigh anything on a scale. I probably need to get more strict on portion size. I'm working out as well and lifting weights. I have days where I'm starving and days where I am not hungry. There's usually no in between.
  • derbychik03
    Orphia wrote: »
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart%20a_zpsot9kdvnv.jpg

I do log everything even though there are days I've gone over my calories but I do not weigh anything on a scale. I probably need to get more strict on portion size. I'm working out as well and lifting weights. I have days where I'm starving and days where I am not hungry. There's usually no in between.
  • derbychik03
    everher wrote: »
    Have you adjusted your calories since the weight loss?

Yes
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    IF you're not using a food scale you're probably logging less than you're eating. Get a food scale, improve the accuracy of your logging. For days where you feel particularly hungry, try to increase the quantity of food without increasing calories. THings like larger portions of lean meat/veggies and lesser portions of more calorie dense foods.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Sounds like it might be a good time to investigate more accurate logging. As you lose weight, accuracy can become more important. The rough estimates that got the job done earlier in the process sometimes stop working. Some people have found that a food scale helps them determine that they were eating more than they thought they were.
  • derbychik03
    Ok thanks yall. I also get hungry at night and this is setting me back too. What are some good things to snack on that will make me feel full without a ton of calories or sugar?
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Ok thanks yall. I also get hungry at night and this is setting me back too. What are some good things to snack on that will make me feel full without a ton of calories or sugar?

Save your calories for those late night snacks. If you don't think you can, try drinking zero/low calorie drinks. I sometimes need something at night so if I can't eat anymore calories, I grab a diet cherry dr. pepper to help with the craving. Or, I make a homemade chai tea latte (1/2c of unsweetened vanilla almond/cashew milk, 1 chai tea bag, and 1/2 c of water). I'll add a packet of equal to make it sweeter. That usually gets me till 9ish and then I just go to bed.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    I'll weigh in on the side of using the food scale! That's the only way to really know how much you're eating, also it's a lot of fun. No really, it is.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

If you're a night snacker like me, have you considered eating the majority of your calories at night? I don't eat after I wake and wait around 6 or so hours, because if I eat breakfast, I end up hungry in 2 hours and slaying my calories by dinner time. If I wait a while to eat and just have a coffee, I am good for a while and have calories to snack on for later.

I still eat sugar and snack foods. For sanity. :smiley: I make room for them after I've filled most of my day with nutritious food.

Sugar free snacks are my favourite if I don't have the calories. I've been digging the low calorie protein cheesecake in the recipe section. Diet sodas, sugar free Jello and jello puddings, fibre 1 bars.. all great.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2017
    Every time so far that I've thought I hit a plateau, I was wrong. In some cases I just needed to stay on plan, and the scale eventually started moving again; in others, I knew I was getting just a bit lazy with accountability, reined it in, and started losing again.

I will be 50 this summer and have (medicated) hypothyrodism. But I still lose when I'm really being accountable.

As for night eating, my husband has lost 90 lbs. while night eating. He realizes he just really, really wants that handful of dry cereal at night (his Kryptonite), so he has worked it into his calorie goals. If he's worried about the carbs making him hungry, which definitely happens, he'll have string cheese instead. 90 lbs. down this way! Good luck!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I hit a plateau for 3.5 months after I lost about 70 pounds. I finally went to maintenance calories for a week. After a week I went back to my low cal diet although I did allow myself a bit higher budget and lowered my expectations for weight loss (I'm on my last 20 pounds) very slowly the weight started dropping off again. I don't understand it. Logically CICO should add up but who knows what else was going on. All I know is I am losing again. DON'T GIVE UP! I know it's tempting but it will start dropping again. In hindsight I should have done maintenance for two weeks but I was terrified of gaining the weight back. Feel free to message me if you want more info or if I can help you during this very frustrating period. I feel your pain!
  • derbychik03
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Every time so far that I've thought I hit a plateau, I was wrong. In some cases I just needed to stay on plan, and the scale eventually started moving again; in others, I knew I was getting just a bit lazy with accountability, reined it in, and started losing again.

I will be 50 this summer and have (medicated) hypothyrodism. But I still lose when I'm really being accountable.

As for night eating, my husband has lost 90 lbs. while night eating. He realizes he just really, really wants that handful of dry cereal at night (his Kryptonite), so he has worked it into his calorie goals. If he's worried about the carbs making him hungry, which definitely happens, he'll have string cheese instead. 90 lbs. down this way! Good luck!

I also have hypothyroidism so thanks for weighing in, pun intended lol.
  • derbychik03
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like I need to just get more strict on my calorie intake and start being more precise. I'm also going to try to start hitting the gym more too and getting more sleep. Thank you for your encouraging words and support :smile:
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    I will jump on the food scale bandwagon - it is very valuable and critical as you get closer to goal and have to be more precise.
    As for the night hunger there are a few things you can try:
    1. shave some calories off your earlier meals so you have an extra 100 or so at the end of the day. There are lots of yummy food options at 100 calories. Chobani Simply 100 Crunch bowls are my new obsession. Yogurt + crunchies that has 10g protein. The sugar isn't bad for a flavored yogurt either. A 6oz container of raspberries is 90 calories and has a ridiculous amount of fiber - add a quick squirt of Redi-whip if you want it to look decadent. Halo Top and Arctic Zero are low in calories per serving and not too bad per pint.
    2. Up your protein and fat at dinner and see if that helps.
    3. Do something that engages your mind and/or body to see if the hunger is really just boredom