OMG. I think I need prof help!

Options
I am totally lost at trying to find what method works for me when trying to lose weight. How long should I keep trying one way before I mark it as "ineffective" and change something up? I've been on MFP for about three weeks, just eating fewer calories. I've lost 3 pounds in all; 2 the first week, and just one last week eating 1200 or less daily. I got serious about working out everyday just this week, eating 1200 or less calories and drinking only water. I have not lost any weight this week. I haven't gained any either, and I know that my muscles are getting heavier, and that could go into account for the fact that I'm not losing, but I haven't lost any inches, either! I thought that if I didn't actually loose any weight after working out, that at least my clothes would start fitting more loosely. Am I just too impatient, or what? It seems like others have found what melts the pounds off for them, but I have no idea where to start trying to figure that out. What should be the first thing to do? It would help if I had a list to go down. Like... if I should start eating more calories or whatever, how long should I keep eating the extra calories before I figure out if it's working or not? And are there any other things that I could change or try out, and again, how long before I mark it in or out?

Here's a little history about how I've always eaten in the past, which contributed to my extra pounds:

1. I've always eaten more than enough calories during the day. That's what makes me a little fearful about consuming more than I am now, because that is what put me in this position in the first place.
2. I've never really worked out regularly. I would go through phases, but never anything consistent.
3. Even though I occasionally would eat healthy meals, most of what I ate was high in carbs (I'm a bread LOVER) or high in sodium, and I have a bit of a sweet tooth. I have always found the drive-thru window more convenient than cooking at home. I would probably eat out 3-4 times a week, and every other meal would be what my mother made at home. She makes what our family considers "healthy" meals; although she's no Rachel Ray, she's definitely no Paula Dean!
4. In the past I was on ADD medication and really slimmed down. I weighed about 145. When I turned 23 and could no longer be on my parent's health insurance and receive my ADD medicine, I packed on the pounds again, and now I'm about to turn 26 weighing 162. The medicine curbed my appetite, and even though I ate things that I always have, most of the time I just wasn't hungry and just wouldn't eat. So basically, fewer calories was the thing that helped me in the past.

I really don't know what to try first (heck, I don't even know WHAT TO TRY), or how long to keep it up before changing it up again. I am starting literally from square one!

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I'd give it more than a week - your weight loss for 3 wks is in line. Take measurements as well. Just because you don't LOSE every week doesn't mean it's not working, could be T.O.M. or anything.

Be patient. Don't give up. I dunno, maybe consider cross training?
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    lose 1lb a week for a year = total loss of 52lbs
  • Purple_Lurple
    Purple_Lurple Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Firstly, 3 weeks is really too short a time to jusdge your progress, and I wouldn't expect your clothes to feel looser yet! I've lost 17lbs and I'm still not down a clothes size properly.

Secondly, I notice you're saying "1200Cals OR LESS". it should never be less than 1200 cals, which may be where you are going wrong. Your body will be going into "starvation mode", slowing your metabolism and making it harder to drop weight (it will store all the fat it can in preperation for not being fed!)

So, here is your list:

1. Be patient, it's a gradual process. If you go slow with this it'll be more sustainable, this isn't a crash diet.
    2. Eat AT LEAST 1200 cals a day. Some people will say eat back your exersise cals, some won't. It may take a while to figure out what works for you.

You can do this! :o)
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    Hi, there. I understand your frustration. I started trying to lose weight in October going to the gym working with a trainer and using the BodyMedia arm band. From Oct-June I lost 3 pounds. But I just kept going. You have to just keep going and recognize the goal is ultimately a healthy lifestyle and healthier/longer life not necessarily a number on the scale. Don't be afraid to eat back your exercise calories. If you're truly reporting everything you eat and exercising MFP does work. I agree about taking measurements as well. Good luck!

PS - I peeked at your diary. Some things to try - don't skip breakfast and instead of cereal try to get some sort of protein first thing in the a.m.
  • kawenas
    kawenas Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can do this. Don't give up. I know it's hard and frustrating, but stick with it and the results will come. I'm in the same boat as you. I have been on this site for about 3 weeks now and I've lost about 3 pounds. I just can't seem to get under 165. I know part of the reason is that my doctors have me on prednisone right now for my sciatica pain, but it is so frustrating. However, I'm just going to keep pluggin along and at some point, my body will adjust and the weight will start coming off. It's a lifestyle change and as much as I wish it would, the weight will not just fall off. Don't give up. Eventually you will see the results you are after.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    lose 1lb a week for a year = total loss of 52lbs

Great thought.

You sound like you are off to a good start. Just remember 3500 = 1lb . And you always lose from the arms face and calf first. Maybe do some target exercise. If you are walking around sore every now and again, you will feel like you are doing something even though the scale says something else.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Just took a look at your food diary for the past week, and all you've been eating is junk, so it's not surprising you're not losing weight. It actually does matter what you eat, it's not just pure calorie counting. Donuts? Chips? Burritos? Come on. Get serious. If you want to lose weight, try eating a healthy balanced diet - lean proteins, fresh fruit and veggies, whole grains, healthy fats and oils. And exercise won't offset a bad diet (and eating even more junk to make up for the 'exercise calories' will probably make you gain - it's not carte blanche to go out and eat junk food).

I understand the convenience thing, I'm not a big fan of cooking personally, but drive-throughs have salads with grilled chicken, you can get already prepared salad mix and throw on some precooked chicken or deli meat or salmon. Cut up a bunch of fruits at the beginning of the week and keep them in the fridge to snack on. For dinner, try steaming or baking chicken or fish with some veggies, or even a grilled burger without the bun and chips. If you go out to eat with friends, select a healthy entree - meat with veggies. Avoid the dips and pasta and stuff with sauces. Cut out the junk food and you'll see the results you want. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll keep wondering why nothing ever works for you...
  • LJCDuke11
    LJCDuke11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Totally understand your frustrations!!! If you don't mind I'd like to give you some constructive feedback...

I just took a look at your diary. You definately should be eating as close to you 1200 calories as possible - BUT it's also the TYPE of calories you eat... It looks like your meats are alright, and there's alot of carb smart things, but complex carbs like whole wheat , brown rice, oats are items that will benefit. instead of regular white pasta, get whole grain pasta, its the same price and doesn't turn to white flour paste in your intestines... whole wheat has more fiber also!! When you snack on chicps and sour cream, it looks like that was over 41 grams of fat alone just in chips and sour cream and over HALF of you're daliy calories. and Veggies!! Veggies are you're best friend!!! there are couple fruits and veggies scattered but you should try to incorportate more than potatoes as a veggie. It's a white starch, like flour pasta, white rice... try to limit those... try whole wheat pasta and lowfat cheese and brocolli (half brocolli / half whole wheat pasta)... or steamed green beans with lemon-pepper.... LOTS of ways!!! OR you could do Mashed Cauliflower instead of Mashed potatoes!!! Thats a really good substitute!! =) You should try to eat the rainbow (all colors) of fruits and veggies!! =)
  • ashleymmc20
    ashleymmc20 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I opened my diary for the public specifically for suggestions after I posted this topic, and it took a lot of guts for me to do that, so please keep that in mind. My weakness is definitely chipotle flavored sour cream. Haha. It's all gone, now though, so it won't be an issue anymore. Also, I don't make my own money, as I am in college living at home, so I can only eat what is available to me here at home. My mother does the grocery shopping, and even though she brings in fruits and veggies, there are 6 other people in the house that also have to eat. Most of the time, I have to forage around for the good stuff.
  • LJCDuke11
    Options
    That's what we're here for!! We all go through ups and down but it's what you do with it in the future... So proud of you that you DID post it!!! It' helps to have an extra eye (or EYES with MFP) watching out for you! =) If they are truely supportive of you improving your health, (which I'm SURE they are being its you family and all) they'll be sure to make sure they'll help you stay on the right track. It' takes responsibility from yourself too to be accountable, ya know? You got this!!! ask mom to cut up some fruit and steamed veggie to pick at while you study!! That's the GREAT thing about being at home for school!! =)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You WILL not lose every week. Period.
  • LJCDuke11
    Options
    also, another thing you can control is portion.... eat a lot of little meals....
  • chloeelebeir
    chloeelebeir Posts: 130
    Options
    Hey girl!! Don't get too frustrated! Like many have said, it's only been three weeks! I feel your frustration but heres something I've found that helps me. I bought a scale that also measures your percent body fat! That way if I'm maintaining my weight but my fat percentage is going down I know I'm doing something right! Also I agree with purplepudding about the "starvation mode" try to eat at least 1200 calories of nutritionally dense foods! I'll definitely look more closely at your diary but your doing great! Also maybe try to have more smaller meals instead if three bigger ones. This will help keep your metabolism reved! You should be proud of what you've lost and how you have not given up!! You can do it :)
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    Brave of you to open up your diary for public scrutiny! Well done! :) It must be very difficult when you know you have to rely on your mums choices of food for you. Maybe if you asked her to buy some more healthy options for you she'd be happy to do so. I'm not talking about asking her to buy a whole weeks food for you that's different from everyone else - just start small - ask her to buy you a little extra fruit or similar - and build on that.
    Also, the advice about eating AT LEAST 1200 calories is good. Being under that wont do you any favours, so make sure you DO eat at least 1200 a day.
    Good luck
    Netty
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    You don't just need to eat fewer calories, you have to actually make healthy choices. I hardly EVER cook, but I have found healthy alternatives. If I drive through, I find a KFC and get some nice grilled chicken and greens, or get a low cal sub from Subway. Even if you drive through at the typical McDonalds or Hardees, you can always get a salad or something grilled instead of fried. and I have falled in LOVE with Lean Cuisine frozen dinners. They are 300 cals or less and taste delicious! they make great dinners and are ready in 10 mins or less. And throughout the day, eating more fruits and veggies will help your body have more energy and feel more full than when you eat junk food.

Good luck!! :heart:
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you should be shooting for between 1200-1300 calories per day, not LESS than 1200 calories, and maybe even more if you're more active. Eating less calories may have worked for you in the past, but it is not healthy. I would just push through for another month and not weigh yourself or check measurements. Do everything right and you don't need to worry about the numbers on the scale. Or if you have to have some sort of number validation, weigh in only once per week and if the numbers haven't gone down, decide ahead of time to not let that curb your current plan. Look back at your diary, ask your MFP friends, and tweak your plan to try to better reach your goals. Also, as a mother (my children are not in college, but still), I wouldn't mind it if one of my kids asked me if I could buy more x, y, and z at the grocery store so that you can get more healthy foods.

Good luck! I know how frustrating it can get. Sometimes it feels like a guessing game, but you have to fiddle with things to find what works for you.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I opened my diary for the public specifically for suggestions after I posted this topic, and it took a lot of guts for me to do that, so please keep that in mind. My weakness is definitely chipotle flavored sour cream. Haha. It's all gone, now though, so it won't be an issue anymore. Also, I don't make my own money, as I am in college living at home, so I can only eat what is available to me here at home. My mother does the grocery shopping, and even though she brings in fruits and veggies, there are 6 other people in the house that also have to eat. Most of the time, I have to forage around for the good stuff.

Kudos to you for having the courage to open your food diary - the critiques may be harsh (sorry, I come from the Jillian school of non nonsense, no BS, tough love, tell it like it is :-) ) but it gives you the information you need to make better choices so you CAN reach your goals. I've never understood how patting people on the back and telling them to keep doing what they're doing when it isn't working is helping... doesn't seem like a recipe for success to me :-)

Can you talk to your mom and maybe help her make the grocery list to make sure there's more healthy foods that you can eat? Or maybe get a part time job (or even babysitting - don't laugh, I have an older friend who does this through an agency and makes great tips - really great tips) so you have a little more autonomy and can buy some of your own foods?
  • AriannaInIdaho
    Options
    I was looking at your food diary, and one thing that I noticed is you're eating a lot of high calorie stuff just a couple of times a day, I would look at finding lower calorie stuff and eat more often during the day... for example, instead of eating the twizzlers, grab an apple still sweet, less calories and more filling, that way gives you more room for other foods as well
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Being impatient.
  • how13
    how13 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi

do not give up. I have been on many diets, however I do not look at myfitnesspal as a diet, I use it as a tool. I can not

do heavy exercise because of my knees. do what you can walk or get in the water swim or just walk in the water for 30mins

to and hr. at least 2 times a week. Also I know people that have very bad health problems and can not do exercise at all

they are using mfp and just working on cals counts and start working on eating more different foods little by little...

these folks are losting weight.

I put in my foods in the morning so I can tell how many cals. I have left for the day. Because when I 1st started I ate what

I wanted and when I reached my cals. for the day I was done. Now after nine weeks I am looking at small changes

to my eating plan. However when I have a craving I eat it and you must must log in all your foolds you eat . now if I am

not hungry I make sure I eat at least 1800 cal. in your case do not go below 1200cal, I asked this personal trainer about

exerice and eating. Her reply was 20 per cent is exercise and 80 per cent is how many cals. you eat a day. Jjust start

counting cals, that means log in everything you eat. As time goes on most people will start eating better. You have to start

somewhere. Before I sarted I did not eat this much food THAT MAYFITNESSPAL SAID i COULD EAT!!!! i DID NOT

THINK MFP WOULD WORK. i DO NOT WORRY ABOUT WEIGHTING EVERY WEEK, i WEIGHT EVERY FOUR

WEEKS. iT IS NOW END OF MY NINTH WEEK i HAVE LOST 18 LBS... i CAN BELIEVE IT. LAST THING do you have any public health ctrs????

YOU CAN DO MAKE THIS WORK!!! SOMETIMES IT IS NOT EASY. jUST START OVER, EACH day, is a new day. YOU

DO NOT FAIL UNTIL YOU STOP DOING YOUR BEST!!!!!!!!!!!