Options
jimlee22
jimlee22 Posts: 43 Member
Should I stay a way from bread will it stop my Weight loss

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Bread is somewhat calorie dense so I limit how much I eat. For me a sandwich is okay for lunch but bread at dinner is off limits.
  • Untitled_Unmastered
    Untitled_Unmastered Posts: 52 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If it makes you overeat, yes. If you can eat bread without it affecting your appetite post consumption, no.

Eating at a calorie deficit while nourishing your body is the main goal.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Bread is somewhat calorie dense so I limit how much I eat. For me a sandwich is okay for lunch but bread at dinner is off limits.

why?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jimlee22 wrote: »
    Should I stay a way from bread will it stop my Weight loss

the only reason to avoid bread is if you have a medical condition or some kind of food allergy.

Other than that bread, by itself, will not hinder weight loss.

The only thing that hinders weight loss is a surplus of calories...
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

It really just depends on the bread. The kind I eat is only 60 calories a slice and tastes amazing :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

why?

I do this too. If I'm already having something starchy - potatoes, sweet potatoes, pasta.....then a side of bread is over kill (for me).
  • rsclause
    Options

why?

My wife and daughter are gluten free so when they come set a loaf of bread down at dinner out I would eat the whole thing and butter each bite along with my loaded potato. Now I tell them not to set it down and eat veggies or maybe a sweet potato. I tend to eat better at dinner time so bread is just extra calories I don't need.
  • rsclause
    Options
    It's the same boring argument.
    You can eat anything you want and lose weight.
    But I get more satisfied off of real food, not fast food. How could you eat fast food and actually get full?
    How could you live without pizza?
    If you eat whatever you want and follow CICO, you'll die of heart disease or liver failure or blah blah.
    But CICO.
    But whole food! Natural foods! Organic foods! No processed foods!
    What are processed foods? Vegetables get washed before market. That's a process! Meat gets cut from the animal! That's a process! All foods are processed!
    I was talking about refined flour with vitamins added in!
    PALEO!
    WHOLE 30!
    SOUTH BEACH DIET! ATKINS!
    It's all wrong!
    You're all wrong!

Anyway, carry on. Eat what you're going to eat. Track it. Or not. Lose weight. Or not.

Yes, a calorie is a calorie but I would also like to feel full and get some nutrition too. If I eat pizza, and I do, I need to limit it before I am full and don't really feel all that healthy about it. If I eat some salmon with kale and asparagus I "feel" that I am eating better. Its like the other day at the store the couple in front of me had 4 two liter bottles of soda, jumbo box of gold fish and a whole bunch of other junk. I had the conveyor belt loaded with nothing but fruit veggies and two bottles of wine. Both they and I could just limit our calories and lose weight but which way would you pick? Sometimes there is more to it than simple math if you factor in healthy food choices. And no it is not required but.....
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    If I don't have a piece of garlic bread or english muffin with my meal I feel like something is *missing* and I'd be snacky... definitely dont' avoid it if you have no medical reason to do so
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love my bread so go ahead!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    But I get more satisfied off of real food, not fast food. How could you eat fast food and actually get full?
    If you eat whatever you want and follow CICO, you'll die of heart disease or liver failure or blah blah.
    But CICO.
    What are processed foods? Vegetables get washed before market. That's a process! Meat gets cut from the animal! That's a process! All foods are processed!
    PALEO!
    WHOLE 30!
    It's all wrong!
    You're all wrong!

Anyway, carry on. Eat what you're going to eat. Track it. Or not. Lose weight. Or not.

It doesn't need to be all one way or all the other. Why the extreme? I have a good balance of whole foods to respect my nutritional needs, while also enjoying the occasional fast food or less nutrient dense calorie... it's not about one way or the other, it's about balance.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I find I need starchy stuff in my diet, but it doesn't necessarily need to be bread. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it's corn or rice or potatoes or butternut squash. I don't regiment it as in "No more than 4 slices a week", but I do frequently find corn and rice more satiating. Sometimes, though, I'd rather have a sandwich. Or a piece of warm naan. And if I've got the calories for it, no reason not to!
  • ndj1979
    Options

why?

My wife and daughter are gluten free so when they come set a loaf of bread down at dinner out I would eat the whole thing and butter each bite along with my loaded potato. Now I tell them not to set it down and eat veggies or maybe a sweet potato. I tend to eat better at dinner time so bread is just extra calories I don't need.

makes sense..

I just was not sure if you were posting some 'no bread after 6pm' arbitrary rule...
  • dcdickerson2
    dcdickerson2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    80/20 is a good guideline to follow if you want to get good nutrition, stay within your calorie goal and still have a balance between whole "clean" foods and processed foods that have a lot of additives, but taste oh so good! Or a couple sugary, white floury desserts a week, etc. The problem with the processed foods are that for a lot of people they trigger eating binges and cravings or leave you feeling hungry a half hour after you just ate. If they don't affect you that way and you stay within your calorie range, then by all means, go for it!
    And bread is just one more of those foods that you have to decide if right for you.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    But CICO.
    PALEO!
    WHOLE 30!
    It's all wrong!
    You're all wrong!

It doesn't need to be all one way or all the other. Why the extreme? I have a good balance of whole foods to respect my nutritional needs, while also enjoying the occasional fast food or less nutrient dense calorie... it's not about one way or the other, it's about balance.

I'm not saying it is all one or all the other. I'm saying I've read these arguments precisely 400,726,423.333333 times. I guess I need to stay off of forums.

Like most people, I assume, my diet is somewhere between those two camps.