Frustrating.....

Options
Im new here and followed a 1760 intake all week and GAINED a lb??? Not sure what im doing wrong. Im 5ft4 128 lbs (have lost 35 lbs over the last ten months) im currently trying to shed bodyfat and lean up so do circuit training 3 times a week. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas where i might be going wrong. I just cant seem to lose those last few pounds

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Over how long a period did you gain a pound? That's a pretty minor weight fluctuation.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Someone break out that handy dandy chart please!
  • sinead29
    sinead29 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I weigh every week, so im up a lb from last week. I know its not a lot but its annoying all the same
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If you just started the workouts (or changed them significantly) it could be fluid retention.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you just increased your activity this could be related to DOMS. Are you close to TOM? Are you sure you aren't over eating your calorie allotment? Do you weigh your food and log everything you consume?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I plugged your stats into a TDEE calculator (http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/) and your sedentary TDEE for your weight and height is 1,543. That means on a day you're not exercising at all, your body only burns 1,543. Moderately active puts you at 1800 calorie TDEE. So you're really not creating much of a deficit to lose weight.

You're short and have a fairly low weight so you'll really need to decrease your calories or ramp up the exercise if you want to lose weight. You should probably stick to net 1200-1300 cals.
  • sinead29
    Options
    Ive been doing the same exercise for about 2 months now and im very careful about what i eat so im not sure. Im about 4 lbs away from my target
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    sinead29 wrote: »
    Ive been doing the same exercise for about 2 months now and im very careful about what i eat so im not sure. Im about 4 lbs away from my target

Being "careful" about what you eat doesn't mean you couldn't be over your calories which could put you into maintenance or even slowly gaining. I weigh more than you, am taller by a few inches and workout more and my calories are less than yours for cutting. Maybe time to recalculate to make sure you are in range for weight loss.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    ^^^^There's that handy dandy chart!!!^^^^
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    sinead29 wrote: »
    Im new here and followed a 1760 intake all week and GAINED a lb??? Not sure what im doing wrong. Im 5ft4 128 lbs (have lost 35 lbs over the last ten months) im currently trying to shed bodyfat and lean up so do circuit training 3 times a week. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas where i might be going wrong. I just cant seem to lose those last few pounds

Do you think you gained a pound of fat? (Unlikely). A pound of muscle? (Also unlikely). A pound of water? In one week, which do you think is more likely?

How would you know?

I fluctuate by 3-4 pounds every day. I know for a fact that it's not fat or muscle causing those changes. If your intake is accurate, you're most likely fine. Either way, you'll need time to know for sure. Your day-to-day weight is a range, not a number.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I plugged your stats into a TDEE calculator (http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/) and your sedentary TDEE for your weight and height is 1,543. That means on a day you're not exercising at all, your body only burns 1,543. Moderately active puts you at 1800 calorie TDEE. So you're really not creating much of a deficit to lose weight.

You're short and have a fairly low weight so you'll really need to decrease your calories or ramp up the exercise if you want to lose weight. You should probably stick to net 1200-1300 cals.

HOw you don't have her age

and when I put her mid age around 35 I get 1617 for sedentary 1853 for exercise 3 days a week...

OP how are you measuring your food?
    Food scale?
    On the setup of MFP what is your activity level and did you include your exercise in that? and are you logging and eating back exercise calories?

It sounds like you are at a higher activity level then you should be hence the higher goals...and if you are logging exercise on top of that could explain the weight gain...

Otherwise it could just be fluid
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »

HOw you don't have her age

and when I put her mid age around 35 I get 1617 for sedentary 1853 for exercise 3 days a week...

OP how are you measuring your food?
    Food scale?
    On the setup of MFP what is your activity level and did you include your exercise in that? and are you logging and eating back exercise calories?

It sounds like you are at a higher activity level then you should be hence the higher goals...and if you are logging exercise on top of that could explain the weight gain...

Otherwise it could just be fluid

I just put in 30 for her age as an estimate. Are you using a different TDEE calculator? I changed it to 35 and still got 1500~ for sedentary TDEE.

Either way, 1760 net calories a day is probably too high for her to make much progress.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear, you are close to your goal weight so those last few pounds are going to be hard to get off...maybe focus on recomp vs. just losing weight
  • sinead29
    Options
    Thank you everyone . I think im going to lower my intake and activity level. (Although running around after 4 kids all day id say im fairly active
  • sinead29
    Options
    weight loss isn't linear, you are close to your goal weight so those last few pounds are going to be hard to get off...maybe focus on recomp vs. just losing weight

Totally right, that will be my focus from now i think