Quinoa recipes???

Green_Eyed_Girl88
Green_Eyed_Girl88 Posts: 73 Member
edited 6:01AM in Food and Nutrition
I recently purchased my 1st bag of Quinoa and am curious what everybody's favorite recipes are for it? I am excited to try it but need some ideas. Thanks :)

Replies

• jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    bump
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    I go with spicy southwest style: cook the quinoa and mix with some red wine vinegar, cayenne pepper, red and green diced bell pepper, some corn, some black beans and enjoy!

One of the other girls just posted a good quinoa recipe the other day - search recipe forums for it and see if there are others you love there.
  • bubbaduts
    bubbaduts Posts: 196 Member
    I cook it with chicken stock and add a couple tablespoons of shredded parm mix and its a great side
  • mwatson23
    mwatson23 Posts: 18
    there is another thread on here with some great recipes for quinoa, here's my favorite.

Light cranberry, apple and almond quinoa
    Ingredients:
    1 cup uncooked quinoa, washed well
    1 tablespoon +1 tsp olive oil, divided
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup diced carrot (I used 1 medium)
    2-3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups vegetable broth
    1/4-1/2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 1/2 cups diced Granny Smith apple, not peeled (one large apple)
    ~20 almonds, toasted
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 cup dried cranberries (I used raisins)
    black pepper, to taste
    1 tbsp pure maple syrup (i used agave)

Directions:
    1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, carrots and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent. Add broth, quinoa, salt, and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and let sit for 20 minutes or until liquid is gone. Be sure to keep an eye on it and stir it often so it doesn’t burn. Remove from heat; stir to fluff.
    2. Meanwhile, heat oven to 350F and toast almonds. Roughly chop toasted almonds.
    3. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a nonstick pot or skillet. Add chopped apple and vanilla and sauté for about 5 minutes until apple starts to turn golden in colour but before it gets mushy. Add apple, almonds, cr anberries and pepper to quinoa and mix thoroughly. Serve hot or cold, as a main dish or a side with a protein source. Makes about 3-4 cups.
    Yield: about 3 to 4 cups Preparation Time: 10 to 15 minutes Cooking Time: 25 to 30 minutes
  • I have had it before but we are trying this recipe this week!

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
    3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
    4 ounces cream cheese
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    5 cups thinly sliced or bite sized pieces assorted uncooked vegetables
    3 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese

Directions
    Rinse quinoa thoroughly; drain. Bring quinoa and broth to boil in a 2-quart saucepan; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20-25 minutes or until broth is absorbed. While quinoa is cooking, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook garlic in butter for about one minute, stirring frequently, until golden. Stir in vegetables. Cook about 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir cream cheese and basil into cooked quinoa. Toss vegetables with quinoa mixture and sprinkle with cheese.

http://letsdishrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/03/creamy-quinoa-primavera.html
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    Quinoa:
    1 1/2 Cup Quinoa
    2 3/4 Cup Chicken Broth (Low Sodium of course)
    1/4 Cup Lemon Juice (fresh or bottled)

Sauce:
    Fresh Basil chopped (about 3 cups)(can use dried)
    Fresh thyme chopped (2-3 sprigs)(can use dried)
    Fresh Parsley chopped (about 1 cup)(can use dried)
    Zest of one Lemon
    Juice of one lemon (or 1/4 cup lemon juice)
    Olive Oil (about 1/4 - 1/2 cup)

Cook the quinoa with the chicken broth and lemon juice. In a separate bowl mix together the sauce ingredients. Use only enough olive oil to make it kind of saucy (like a dressing. You only want to add flavor to the quinoa not drown it). Mix in Quinoa and enjoy.

This is my favorite recipe for quinoa. I saw it one day on the food network channel years ago (I believe it's Giada that makes it).
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    I use it in place of couscous and rice in recipes. There is also a book out called "quinoa 365" with lots of recipes.
  • drazz60
    drazz60 Posts: 1
    Breakfast : 1/4 cup Quinoa, 1/2 cup rice milk, bannana, 1/8 cup raw roasted pecans. Sometimes I will add vanilla and agave sweetner when using other fruits.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    2/3c. quinoa, rinsed and dried on towel
    1c. water
    salt and pepper
    2Tbs. finely chopped red bell pepper
    1/4 tsp. jalapeno pepper , stemmed, seeded, and minced
    1 shallot, minced
    1Tbs.fresh cilantro, minced
    2Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
    2tsp. fresh lime juice
    1tsp. Dijon mustard
    1 small garlic, minced
    1/4tsp. ground cumin

1. Toast quinoa in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until lightly toasted and aromatic, about 5 minutes. Stir in water and 1/8 tsp. salt and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and continue to simmer until quinoa has absorbed most of the water and is just tender, 12 to 14 minutes longer. Spread quinoa on rimmed baking sheet lined with a kitchen towel and set aside until tender and cool, about 20 minutes.

2. When quinoa is cool, transfer to serving bowl. Stir in bell pepper, jalapeño, shallot and cilantro. In separate bowl, whisk oil, lime juice, mustard, garlic, and cumin together until well combined. Pour over quinoa and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
    This recipe is from American Test Kitchen evey recipe I have tried form them has been yummy.
  • Tanyabear_
    Tanyabear_ Posts: 16 Member
    bump
  • I love quinoa!

I cook mine with vegetable broth instead of water for added flavor. While the quinoa is cooking, I saute some chopped garlic and about 1/2 chopped onion in olive oil. Put the cooked quinoa on top once you're done sauteing. Mix well over med/low heat and stir in a bit of soy sauce. Simple and delicious.
  • joannepapas
    joannepapas Posts: 32 Member
    Oh...this one sounds so simple and yummy....I will have to give that a try!
This discussion has been closed.