Plexus pushers

Options
What is it about people who "discover" a new MLM weight loss program...it is like getting religion! A friend on facebook got on it and now she pushes it at people constantly...egads....I have been around a long time and have seen these things come and go...if it works for ya..great..but golly give it a break now and then LOL

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    insightful first post.
  • TonyaLeeC
    TonyaLeeC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    LOL TomK not really...just venting I guess...I once went on a diet that was all protien..a fad..I even drank liquid protien..I ended up skinny and sick...I was young and stupid..now I am older and know better..I don't care what others do..really..I just hope they don't damage their health...
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    insightful first post.

#sarcasm
  • TonyaLeeC
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ahhhh OK Sorry...did not mean to be snarky....
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    but the thing is there is good money to be made, so unfortunately it will never end
  • TonyaLeeC
    Options
    Exactly Therealobi1...I guess the stuff is pretty harmless as far as ingredients...whatever floats your boat I guess..LOL I have found this site and exercise works best for me..and reading everyones posts...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I got sucked in by the plexus pushers on Facebook! The only thing i lost was $$$$$$$. A complete and total waste of time, it's yet another mlm scam!
  • TonyaLeeC
    Options
    Oh Dear Christine....I actually thought about it..the hype is good...but I just don't have that kind of money..yes..I agree...a scam. It bothers me that my friend is pushing it..She is a good soul and I think believes it..
  • SparkGirl2017
    SparkGirl2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just because it isn't right for you doesn't mean it isn't for others. I don't use Plexus but I do use Advocare and have for several years and it has changed my life. I don't push it on others but if I am asked what is different about me I share. I tried a thousand ways to get all of my weight off and gain energy and I struggled. Advocare was a game changer for me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    TonyaLeeC wrote: »
    Oh Dear Christine....I actually thought about it..the hype is good...but I just don't have that kind of money..yes..I agree...a scam. It bothers me that my friend is pushing it..She is a good soul and I think believes it..

It's like they use some sort of jedi mind control lol It took me many months of seeing it day in day out on my newsfeed to try it (I deleted my facebook since then). I made contact with many other plexus users, not the salespeople/ambassadors, and plexus did nothing for any of them either! The only people it works wonderfully for were the people who sold it....... ironically :huh:

Then when you go on their pages to ask questions on why it's not working, the two stock standard answers every single time were "You must be riddled with candida, you need to add x,y and z products" and "You're not drinking enough water, you MUST drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces every day for plexus to work".
    Many people got banned from their support groups for questioning this BS. I spent nearly $200 a month on this crap, for iirc 5-6 straight months, with zero results!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I was doing a DietBet and maybe 75% of the community posts included a photo of someone holding their Shakeology container or standing in front of their TV with a Beach Body workout in the background. But when you looked at their profiles, their weight yo-yo'd up and then down with each competition, no sustained loss for many of them.

Once you notice, it is absurd how they all profess 'the product' is like a miracle for them. These companies have figured out how to leverage social media for viral marketing.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    What is it about people who "discover" a new MLM weight loss program...it is like getting religion! A friend on facebook got on it and now she pushes it at people constantly...egads....I have been around a long time and have seen these things come and go...if it works for ya..great..but golly give it a break now and then LOL

It's not just MLMs, people are like that with all sorts of things related to weight loss, health, or fitness. My FB feed is filled with workout check-ins from the new hot activity of the month, and recipes and links to articles about foods and diets. If you stick around here long enough, you can even watch people go from extolling the virtues of one way of eating to another. People just get excited when they find something that works for them after years of things not working. There was a time on the forums where you couldn't enter a post about strength training or body recomp without 10+ people recommending Stronglifts, because most of them just started and it was the Best. Program. Ever. and the frustration hadn't set in yet about not being able to handle the volume at a deficit with higher loads or hitting a wall because they couldn't handle the recommended weight increase and their gym didn't have fractional plates. There's always going to be some new, hot trend in the health and fitness world that everyone loves until the immediate gratification wears off, I personally just scroll on by and leave them to it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

It's not just MLMs, people are like that with all sorts of things related to weight loss, health, or fitness. My FB feed is filled with workout check-ins from the new hot activity of the month, and recipes and links to articles about foods and diets. If you stick around here long enough, you can even watch people go from extolling the virtues of one way of eating to another. People just get excited when they find something that works for them after years of things not working. There was a time on the forums where you couldn't enter a post about strength training or body recomp without 10+ people recommending Stronglifts, because most of them just started and it was the Best. Program. Ever. and the frustration hadn't set in yet about not being able to handle the volume at a deficit with higher loads or hitting a wall because they couldn't handle the recommended weight increase and their gym didn't have fractional plates. There's always going to be some new, hot trend in the health and fitness world that everyone loves until the immediate gratification wears off, I personally just scroll on by and leave them to it.

I think the difference between the latest fad/trend and the MLMs though, is that often (not always) but often the people pushing the MLMs use underhanded tactics to get people on board "Try my free 5 day clean eating challenge!!", or will blatantly lie about the effects "This drink can cure diabetes, CFS, excema etc etc!" to make sales. So it's not just a fad, it's an actively promoted scam. They don't just recommend it, they actively try to convince people that they cannot possibly succeed without it, and will take money from people who can't afford it or don't need it just to hit sales targets.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I think the difference between the latest fad/trend and the MLMs though, is that often (not always) but often the people pushing the MLMs use underhanded tactics to get people on board "Try my free 5 day clean eating challenge!!", or will blatantly lie about the effects "This drink can cure diabetes, CFS, excema etc etc!" to make sales. So it's not just a fad, it's an actively promoted scam. They don't just recommend it, they actively try to convince people that they cannot possibly succeed without it, and will take money from people who can't afford it or don't need it just to hit sales targets.

Total agreement, plus they've also go skin in the game. My neighborhood facebook pusher of plexus made all kinds of off the wall claims about it from it cured rheumatoid arthritis to massive weight losses paired with massive muscle gains to never needing to take her kids to the doctor because of it.

I think there's been some pretty big crackdowns on the plexus peddlers recently. She went from wild heath claims daily to pretty much just posting about coupons and/or free shipping deals.
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    My husband's cousin, who is severely overweight, has been selling Plexus for the past year and half. If the product is so good and actually works, why hasn't she lost any weight on it? If anything, she's gained.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

A free trial is just clever marketing that plays on emotions, not really dishonest. The challenge is to not feel obligated to buy after the trial period.

It's the miracle claims they make that are dishonest, all convoluted by what's really happening. The cabbage soup diet will legitimately shed both water and fat weight, it's just not sustainable.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Most MLM salespeople are scum-sucking bottom feeders. :)
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

All MLMs are like that; it's not just weight loss programs. Even Amway attracts a good deal of religious-like fervor.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Most MLM salespeople are scum-sucking bottom feeders. :)

I make an exception for lularoe. Holy *kitten* those clothes are comfortable!