C25K

Options
Hey,

just wondering how many people have done the C25K workout program and what are your thoughts on how well it works

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do a search for c25k on mfp. Tons of people have done it and love it. I don't think I've ever read a bad comment about it. It got me to run at age 61, something I didn't think was possible!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend it. As @lorrpb said, do a search of the forums.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    There's also a group for C25K I believe. But I loved the program and found it super helpful/beneficial!! I'm probably going to start the 10K trainer soon, but for now have just been running 3-3.5 miles a few times a week. Never could have done that before!!
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I highly recommend C25k. I went from almost dying doing the 60 second run, 90 minute walk to running a 5k in 20 weeks and I was 100# overweight. What worked for me is repeating weeks and running slower. I'm not a runner but I'm learning to enjoy running. Go at your pace.
    It is about about finishing not winning. Oh yeah, and that medal and cold beer at the finish line!!! Here's a great article: http://community.runnersworld.com/topic/a-little-tip-for-pure-beginners-or-those-starting-c25k?reply=89964552507895299
  • 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i did twice. you go at your rythm. i did some werk twice some days more than once.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I took an eight week Learn to Run program that is very similar from the Running Room. The class was transformational. How often can you say that about an eight week anything?
  • lizzy8102
    lizzy8102 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks I have downloaded an app C25K did my first workout with it this morning I am hoping it will help me burn extra calories
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    lizzy8102 wrote: »
    Thanks I have downloaded an app C25K did my first workout with it this morning I am hoping it will help me burn extra calories

Way to go! I'm a big believer in C25K, but as a way to start running. Weight loss happens in the kitchen. Running might burn some calories for you, but just manage your expectations.
  • Hallie82
    Hallie82 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I loved it. Never was a runner and it led me to a half marathon
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    lizzy8102 wrote: »

It will, but beware the runger... :laugh:
  • Run4fitness12
    Run4fitness12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved it. I did it a few years ago and it helped me to enjoy running. I was running 3/4 times a week and went on to run two 10ks. Haven't ran in a while though so thinking about getting back into it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
  • spa407
    spa407 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love it (says a non runner). I have used the program 3 times. Sometimes I stay with running (3+ years) and sometimes I stop and do something else (winter sports) then I re-start the program in the fall. This time I am re-starting and trying to run a bit faster - before I just went for duration.
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now. Just starting week 2. I love it
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduled to graduate the program in a week. I love it :)
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I did C25K in October and am now up to 10K+ distances and signed up for a half marathon in the fall. It really is, I believe, the best way for someone to start running who has little or no experience. Follow it. Take it easy. Take it slow and you will succeed!
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I just started to add running to my swimming/cycling workouts as I decided to do a Sprint-Triathlon. Since I swim and cycle a bunch and I am already in very good shape...I thought - How hard can running be?

I immediately found out that running muscles are 100% different than swimming and cycling muscles...

So - I am on week 2 day 3 of C25k. I am noticing my running stride is already getting longer. I like the app because it is easing me into running without needing a walker the next 2 or 3 days after a run.
  • lizzy8102
    Options
    I started week two this morning I am sore but I am determined to finish the 8 weeks. Someone asked about my diet I am on a High protein low carb diet. No sodas, desserts, or alcohol since june of last year.
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Im on week 2 day 1 also but have completed it twice before. However between pregnancy and breaking my foot that took a year to heal completely I have to start again. I love running and it is so hard for me not to push the timing, this time I won't because I don't feel like getting injured again.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I did it! I can now run for over an hour!

However... I do have a suggestion and that's to follow the program.

I'll admit I've rushed it and I've very recently come to the conclusion that, although I CAN run longer than what the program says I should, my calves are having a hard time keeping up without constant aching.

I was blaming the aches on lack of rolling, not enough sleep, not enough water, not enough etc... but I now think I'm just out running what my body can comfortably do. I've decided to take longer breaks between runs and to keep runs to about 45 mins or less for a while.

However... knowing me and knowing I never learn, I think I'd do it all over again if I could... I went from running a minute to running an hour in just over 2 months.

I started at 275ish. :)
  • lizzy8102
    Options
    I did day 2 week 2 this morning I am a little sore but I walk though it and keep going. Never Stop Moving