Desk Job - Difficult to lose weight

Options
124»

Replies

• ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 so far, and am not really exercising regularly yet. All I did was drink mostly water and coffee all day instead of pop and juice, bring my own lunch of protein and veg/fruit instead of eating out, and cut out all junk food (other than a random treat from a coworker or whatever). Just eating at a deficit is enough to get low, but won't get you fit.
  • krushal8880
    krushal8880 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too. I walk my dog before I go to work and afterward. I walk at lunch using my Fitbit between 3-5 miles. By the end of the day, I have 6-8miles. The weekend I'm doing golf or bowling. I also do 10mile runs at least 4 times a year. Good Luck!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    A_Rene86 wrote: »
    A_Rene86 wrote: »
    Hi there. The most important aspect of weight loss is what you do or don't eat eating less calories than you need to maintain your weight by keeping an eye on nutrition. If you have a sedentary job and can't find time to exercise outside of that, then focus on your calorie intake and accurately measuring and logging your food. Exercise helps, but you can absolutely lose weight without it. With that said, a couple questions...

What is your height, current weight, goal weight? How many calories are you currently consuming and are you consistently weighing and logging your food? This information will allow people to give you more personalized advice.

I work in an office at a very sedentary job, but I make an effort to get at least 10,000 steps a day. It's easier than you'd think. If you can afford one, get a fitness tracker, or even download an app on your phone (if it's a newer smart phone) and set a goal for yourself. I find seeing the number on the screen encourages me to move more.

FIFY. ;)

By saying exactly what I said in a different format? You eat less calories or more calories based on what you do or don't eat. You may have noticed I advocate CICO in every thread where it comes up, so no need to play semantics. It was clear what I meant.

Relax. I winked.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Diet is 85% of weight loss. Track, improve tracking ;-)
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I don't work out, I don't go to the gym, or do crossfit or yoga or anything else. I walk to and from the bus and I ride my horse once a week. I've lost 90lbs. I lose about 2 lbs a month. I punched my figures into MFP (weight, height, age etc), set my activity level to Sedentary and wear a fitness tracker. MFP gave me 1450 calories (I adjusted my goals to fit my low carb preference, but I kept the calorie recommendation). On active days my fitness tracker gives me more (for example I get an extra 700 on days I ride). I track all of my food in the MFP app on my phone. Everything I eat. I weight my foods, save my recipes, and use accurate database entries. Losing weight is 90% what you stick in your mouth. Exercise is for fitness (and to earn a few more calories). You can lose weight lying on the couch watching TV.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just ate less.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i work at a desk and have a fairly low TDEE, so i go for walks and get in my steps at parks, beaches, the gym, anywhere to create a deficient.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    You're only at work 8 hours out of the day (maybe 10 if you include commuting). Make the most of the *other* hours in the day and get your physical activity then!

Hours at a desk job can vary a great deal. I had a 2-week span recently where I was at the office from 9am until 8pm every day, with no break for lunch, hardly even got out of my chair. I was completely stressed out those 2 weeks, so I had late nights at the gym just to stay sane. >:) I agree though; we all need to find ways to move more.

I've had stretches like that too. The majority of people who "can't lose weight because they have a desk job" have plenty of hours they could be moving on evenings/weekends though. For those who have 60-80 hour work week desk jobs, it's clearly much more difficult.
  • loisbr
    loisbr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I have a desk job and also struggling - it does not help we have a office feeder ' an lovely elder lady who frequently brings in treats! I do find logging here motivates and I wear a Fitbit with set notifications to buzz hourly to get up and move , then then pushing that little extra when finishing work . I just step back into unhealthy habits to easy. I aim to loose 30lb this year and then maintain. Feel free to add
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I don't believe you are eating in a deficit. I drive commercially 5 days a week for 12 hours a day without the option of getting up until quitting time. I've lost 48 pounds.