Does MFP really help you lose weight?

Options
VeggieBev
VeggieBev Posts: 4 Member
edited April 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hi

I'm fairly new to MFP and I'm hoping to use it to lose weight. I've been successful with Slimming World in the past, losing 3st in 12 months, but got bored of it and need some motivation to keep moving in the right direction. My question is, does MFP really help you lose weight? Because I'm new to the site, I haven't really worked out yet if that's what people use it for.

I'm hoping to shift 9lbs before my holidays in June and then I'll decide what my final goal is and start working toward that.

I've started tracking my food and I'm going to concentrate firstly on getting the calories under control then, hopefully once I've got that down, I'll start focusing on changing my food habits to keep my sugar intake etc. in check. Does that sound sensible? I think trying to do everything at once will be too overwhelming for me and I'll struggle to maintain it.

Your tips and comments would be much appreciated. I need all the help I can get just now to keep me motivated!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    deffo yes.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Yes
    However you still have to do the hard work of logging and only eat in calorie allotment
  • Azzie521
    Azzie521 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes it works if you work :) Just keep logging your meals and staying under calorie goal
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool. A very effective one.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It's been a fantastic tool for me. I'm about 35 pounds down and it's been a little less than 3 months. I have a lot more to lose, and then I get to figure out how to maintain!

I love MFP. It's not perfect, but I'm so so glad I'm here.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you check on user's profiles, sometimes they will have a personalized ticker that says how many pounds they have lost on MFP. Not everyone makes their "ticker" public, but I find it very inspiring to see how much weight other people have lost. I have friends on here who have lost from five pounds to 132 lbs!
  • Kristine2017Smith
    Kristine2017Smith Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been using it a week. I'm down three pounds. It works if you stay true to yourself. If you cheat on your diary remember the only one you're cheating is you. My favorite part of doing this, it is SO much easier to count calories, carbs, fats, and so on. I'm loving it and wish I had done this sooner. ☆
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That's very sensible, actually! You have the perfect attitude for approaching this kind of thing. :) Many people just jump into the deep end of the pool immediately after deciding that they'd like to lose weight and then crack under the pressure a month down the road. It's best to just take it slow and maintain a steady, consistent pace.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    yes! If you buy a food scale and you stick with it, you will have results! But, I know people who have been on for years and always "guesstimate" their food entries and don't lose weight. They say they don't need a scale or don't have time to do it, but they don't lose weight by guessing.
  • jcohee1
    jcohee1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It has helped me tremendously, it adds the layer of self-accountability that i have been missing. I have had good results every time i have used it, even if my counts were "guesstimates" on portions.
    cbl40 wrote: »
    yes! If you buy a food scale and you stick with it, you will have results! But, I know people who have been on for years and always "guesstimate" their food entries and don't lose weight. They say they don't need a scale or don't have time to do it, but they don't lose weight by guessing.
    My weightloss was slower using guesstimates, but this go around i bought a cheap $10 scale from wal-mart and wow has it made a difference!
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I stop using it I gain weight. Every time.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Yes it does help you lose weight when you honestly answer the assessment and follow the calorie goal as suggested. I have been logging on MFP for almost 2 years and have lost close to 50 pounds. When you get a visual picture of your eating habits, it will help you to make better choices.
  • coopergirl15
    coopergirl15 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal is a great tool IMO. I'm a fan of three things: one, it uses scientifically based formulas to calculate your daily calorie needs based on your stats and goals. Two, it gives you the ability to modify your target macronutrients and calories, which is advantageous if you find that their standard targets don't work for you.

The third thing, and the thing I like best about MFP, is how it helped me modify my food choices to fit my needs while giving me the info I needed to make those choices healthy for me.

To answer your direct question I used MFP and initially lost 14 lbs (134 to 120 lbs). Yes you can start with tracking calories but also give some thought to your macro- and micronutrient intake. You might find it makes managing your caloric intake easier in the long run when your body is getting the nutrition it needs.