Medically Restricted Diet

Options
I recently learned about some health issues that now require me to eat a diet that is low in calories, carbs, fat, sodium, and protein. I feel so overwhelmed by this and have had no luck with finding options to create a collection of recipes and meal plans. Any ideas?

Replies

• p_cisneros2
    p_cisneros2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What kind of medical condition did you find out you have?? If you need to follow a general healthful diet, simply add more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to your diet. Stay away from excessive amounts of saturated fats which come from animals and increase the unsaturated fats that come from nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, etc. The increase of fiber will be good for your health and your heart.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    mavisclump wrote: »
    I recently learned about some health issues that now require me to eat a diet that is low in calories, carbs, fat, sodium, and protein. I feel so overwhelmed by this and have had no luck with finding options to create a collection of recipes and meal plans. Any ideas?

sounds like u should go raw vegan. ive done it and its all of the above and very versatile!! you'll be super satisfied.. just look up the hashtag #rawvegan online
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    A third (I think) vote for seeing a dietician. All foods are carbs, fat, and protein. I'm not sure how you can eat a diet low on all three. Maybe get some clarification on it. Seems like you run the risk of nutritional deficiencies this way. Please see a professional. Most dietary suggestions here will be based on the responders individual preferences, which may or may not be appropriate for you. Sorry you are dealing with this.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My guess is kidneys?

It's impossible to go low on all three macros. It's like trying to eat 10% carbs, 10% fats, 10% protein. What makes up the 70% left over?

You will need specifics on what to avoid.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Did he give you specific numbers on the three? As others have said- all food is one of the three.

On the low sodium thing, I went a little crazy buying salt free and very low salt spice mixes when I started. Penzey's has a lot of salt free, but doesn't list sodium content of the salt containing blends on their website. The Spice House has a lot of salt free, and does list sodium content on their website. (They have some different, but also some similar stuff because the owners are siblings.) then there are always the mrs dash blends, and Trader Joe's has a salt free blend called 21 season salute.
    I find I use the blends from penzey's and the spice house the most, especially Sunny Paris.

Is it low animal protein or all protein? I eat low meat protein, but a lot of dairy for calcium to prevent kidney stones.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    mavisclump wrote: »

sounds like u should go raw vegan. ive done it and its all of the above and very versatile!! you'll be super satisfied.. just look up the hashtag #rawvegan online

Except that raw vegan tends to be high carb.

Or easily high fat...
  • mavisclump
    mavisclump Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My guess is kidneys?

It's impossible to go low on all three macros. It's like trying to eat 10% carbs, 10% fats, 10% protein. What makes up the 70% left over?

jgnatca wrote: »
    My guess is kidneys?

Yes, kidney and heart problems, plus insulin resistance. Low protein for kidneys, low fat for heart, and low carbs for blood sugar control. I will ask him on Friday about a dietician, because my research is overwhelming, and I feel like I can't eat anything.
  • mavisclump
    Options
    Food is carb/protein/fat and fiber. It sounds like you need a high fiber diet as that is the only thing you did not list that you said needed to be low. That would be a whole foods plant based diet. Aim for 30 to 50+ grams of fiber per day with no added oil or salt and nothing refined. Just real food: Lettuce, cucumbers, spinach, kale, collards, peppers, squash, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, only whole grains, limited nuts, beans, olives, avocado, and limited fruits. For flavor add vinegars, herbs, spices, fresh squeezes of lime and lemon, nori (sea weed - just cut it up and throw it in a soup, it'll melt and it's delicious). Make lots of soups - you don't need a recipe just throw it in there - and salads. Again no recipe. Just chop and eat. Eat lots of veggies that you pan fried or woked in a lettuce wrap. It actually all sounds really good to me!

This sounds like something that I might like, especially because I hate to cook! Thanks!
  • mavisclump
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    If you need to eat lower calorie, naturally you will have to eat a smaller amount of macro nutrients. You need to ask your doctor how many grams of each. Take a deep breath. Most of us here are doing that and are here for you...I'm sorry you have a medical issue though.

Thank you. It's nice to know that others are trying to navigate the nutrition world. I never imagined that the learning curve would be this steep.