exercise?

Bahamababygirl
Bahamababygirl Posts: 59 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Is linedancing good for weight lost?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Eating in a calorie deficit is good for weight loss. Physical activity is good for fitness.
  • Bahamababygirl
    jemhh wrote: »
    Eating in a calorie deficit is good for weight loss. Physical activity is good for fitness.

Then whyare we counting the calories of food and how much we burnt each day ?
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Linedancing may or may not be good for weight loss; depends on a lot of other things.
    However, when I linedanced on a weekly basis, I was in super good shape. If you dance through the evening, you'll notice a change in your body over time.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    jemhh wrote: »

Then whyare we counting the calories of food and how much we burnt each day ?

Because a calorie deficit is important for weight loss. Too big of a calorie deficit, however, has long term negative consequences. So we count calories and exercise burns to 1) make sure we are in a calorie deficit; 2) To make sure we don't have too big of a calorie deficit. That is why generally it is better to look at exercise as good for fitness. While you can establish a calorie deficit through exercise, research is tending toward that being less effective overall than controlling food/drink intake.

If you like line dancing, it is probably a pretty good way to increase your activity.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    We count calories to know whether we are in a surplus, deficit, or maintenance. It's not 100% accurate, but you can get a good approximation.

Burning calories through exercise increases your deficit, giving you more calories to play with. And it improves fitness. But generally, folks who just exercise without trying to reduce calories don't lose weight. From what I've been reading on these forums, they may recomp—gaining muscle while losing fat, but not actually losing weight. Or they may gain (probably my old mindset; a little trick I call 'kidding myself'. In other words "I just took the stairs instead of the elevator and puffed my way up to the fifth floor. I can totally have a donut now!").

It is possible to be in a caloric deficit through exercise alone, but it's much harder.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    I tried to out run my fork, the fork won.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Not if it takes place in a bar.
  • Bahamababygirl
    Hmmm interesting
  • eaglebtg
    eaglebtg Posts: 2 Member
    I believe any movement burning calories and enjoying it at the same time would make it a good way in my opinion.
  • Bahamababygirl
    Agree totaly!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    If you burn 100 calories, it doesn't matter what activity you do to burn it. At least 80% of weight loss is from the kitchen, 10-20% from the gym (exercise).
  • Bahamababygirl
    True!