Planks...

Options
I just began including them into my daily routine and I can hold them for about 30 seconds right now.

Those of you who do planks, how many do you do a day and for how long do you hold them?

Replies

• melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    30 seconds is awesome!

I do 3 sunrise salutations, hold the plank for anywhere between 20-25 seconds, and alternate lifting my legs while in the position. Great stretch, and hurts. However, it's doing wonderful things for my butt muscles...LOL

(I cannot believe I just said that and left it in the post!)
  • Ladydi1982
    Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    30 seconds is awesome!

I do 3 sunrise salutations, hold the plank for anywhere between 20-25 seconds, and alternate lifting my legs while in the position. Great stretch, and hurts. However, it's doing wonderful things for my butt muscles...LOL

(I cannot believe I just said that and left it in the post!)

Wow! That's a great idea. I'll have to include that with my planks when I feel strong enough! And how cool that it helps your butt! I could use one of those! HAHA!!!
  • Bulletproof_Helen
    Bulletproof_Helen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    LOL! I love doing planks but only do them at the gym, I do two in total one I can hold for 1 min. the second one I do on a powerplate for 45 sec. (wobble wobble)
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I do planks once a week, during one of my strength days. Right now I do 3 times for one minute each. I was just thinking this morning that I need to up the time, because it's not as miserable as it used to be. I'll probably see about going to 90 seconds next week. I really do hate the plank though.
  • Fitandsexy_fe
    Fitandsexy_fe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Planks are hard! I have worked my way up to some intense planks. I used to be able to do them just on my knees. then I worked my way up to 60 seconds all the way up. I started adding side planks, worked my way to 60 seconds on each side. The latest, and I just did this two days ago, a plank on one hand and one leg (opposit leg and arm) where you lift the leg up and lift the opposite arm off your elbow, hold it, then slowly bring them both outward and balance. i could only do it for about 15 seconds but My abs are still burning from that!!
  • lanamilo
    lanamilo Posts: 15
    Options
    I like that. I'm gonna have to try and build up to that.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Planks are hard! I have worked my way up to some intense planks. I used to be able to do them just on my knees. then I worked my way up to 60 seconds all the way up. I started adding side planks, worked my way to 60 seconds on each side. The latest, and I just did this two days ago, a plank on one hand and one leg (opposit leg and arm) where you lift the leg up and lift the opposite arm off your elbow, hold it, then slowly bring them both outward and balance. i could only do it for about 15 seconds but My abs are still burning from that!!

You are my new hero! I'm going to start working up to being able to do this. Thanks! And thanks to Ladydi1982 for posting this one.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

OMG!!! You are my hero too!!! During kickboxing class we have to do either 30-sec or one minute planks and I can barely hold them on my knees! I keep thinking: "Come on,you know this is a very effective way to get that 6-pack... do it, do it!!" I'm extremely impressed!!
  • mrdavidjk
    mrdavidjk Posts: 105
    Options
    i do planks for 60 seconds , i am currently working on side planks which is killing me
    i am focusing on my abs with v sit crunches the bicycle maneuver and sit ups
    my abs are sore