My One Month Weight Loss Journey/Lessons Learned

Options
I have been into MFP for a month now and have lost 4 lbs. I am 67 and want to lose 40 lbs. Here is what I have learned so far:

Getting Started: I did not lose anything for the first week or two because I was on a learning curve. These community boards were a huge help (thank you everyone) because I learned what mistakes I was making.

Pre-plan food intake! Even if you go out to eat, the database is very extensive. But if you go to a gourmet restaurant not listed, I try to watch portion sizes and eat plain - no sauces, breads or dessert

Meals with family/friends: This is the most challenging for me - almost impossible to estimate calories since I have no idea what ingredients were used to prepare dishes (and people try to make great food that tastes good-not watching calories) - even vegetable dishes could be high in calories. So I make a pure guess and try to overestimate as much as possible. Oh well, at least I try and I am not going to miss out on being with family and friends because I am on a diet. I just try to be really aware of portion sizes and limit the appetizers and desserts. If I go over my 1200 calorie goal, I am trying to eliminate that amount the next day-jury is still out whether this works for me

Hunger Control: For me I have to eat several times a day (about every 2-3 hours). I eat healthy, low calorie snacks (40 calorie bread, low calorie yogurt, reduced fat string cheese, 1 tbsp. reduced fat peanut butter, Halo Top, fruit and vegetables)

Weigh all solid foods-use USDA calorie count wherever possible

Goals: I have found setting a weight loss goal, such as "lose five pounds in two weeks" can lead to disappointment. Everyone is different, weight loss varies from week to week.

Exercise/Deficit Calories: I have been walking 30 minutes per day and trying to increase the time. I use the Accupedo App to count steps, distance, time and calories burned. Not enough calories burned to eat back the deficit so I am sticking to my 1200 calorie goal. I admire those who get in 10,000 steps! So far I am only doing half that amount. Need to work on this...

Wine/alcohol intake: In social situations, the calories can add up real quick!

Patience: It has been said over and over again this journey is a marathon not a sprint-oh how true this is! I think I am a slow loser, and managing my patience and expectations continues to be a struggle, especially if I am trying to lose a specific amount of weight by a certain date.

Vacations: My husband and I are retired and have several trips coming up that will require a great amount of constraint because I love food and love to eat! Hoping I can handle it - but I have to learn how to manage 3 meals out per day. While on a road trip, I have found there are many good options in fast food restaurants-such as salads, soups and small burgers.

Bottom line - I am still learning...

Replies

• moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well done on your 4lb loss. Planning ahead is so important. Life just happens and it can be difficult to make choices when away from home. Sounds like you know what you are doing.
  • nationalvillage3215
    nationalvillage3215 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank You moss11!
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! Congrats on your loss!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    You are doing well in your learning curve.

Because you are on the lowest calorie goal possible, I would encourage you to start eating back your walking exercise cals.

I know they are minimal, but they still count towards getting good nutrition and keeping your energy levels high.

You may decide to increase your walking and then you would have difficulty working out just how much to eat back. Same goes for if you are laid up for any reason, adjusting your calories down, or not losing the expected weight would be your only option.
    So please, reconsider those walking calories- even if it is only 50 or so.

Another thing to add to your learning curve.

As an older woman protein is important for both muscle retention and bone density.
    It use to be thought that as we aged we needed less protein, research is now showing more protein is benificial. Try to aim for about .8g per lbs of your ideal weight (mid BMI) , it is utilized best when ingested in ~20-35g blocks when we are older.

When you are ready try to add in some strength training. Again it helps your muscles and bones.

Just as a note, with 40 lbs to lose your goal per week should be between .5-1 lbs a week. If you can raise your calories do. It is hard fitting in desert and wine and still fulfilling your nutritional requirements on 1200.

This isn't all coming off the top of my head, it is coming from a 63yo, 5'1, 102lbs woman who lost on 1200 cals, and all her exercise calories, and has maintained a 30 lbs weight loss for 7 years, and practices what she preaches.

Cheers, h.